CFZ Getting back to being road warriors

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was surprised to learn that the Dallas Cowboys haven’t won a road playoff game in nearly 30 years. In the 1992 season, on Jan. 17, 1993, we beat the 49ers in SF in that great NFC championship game to get us to SB 27. Unbelievably-that was our last road playoff win!!!

Here’s the narrative that MUST change: The Cowboys are 0-8 on the road in the playoffs since 1993. Hard to believe but we haven’t won on the road in the playoffs since Jimmy stood on a chair in the post game locker room at SF in Jan ‘93 and screamed, “How about them Cowboys!” This year, unless the eagles collapse - and they could- we look to be a #5 seed, meaning we better become road warriors!

The Cowboys used to be road warriors. Especially from 1970-80.
  • From 1970-80 the Cowboys won 7 road playoff games, 3 of those wins were in NFC championship games.
  • The Cowboys road playoff record in those 11 seasons was 7-2.
Winning road playoff games is the mark of a great team. The way this season is shaping up, if the Cowboys are going to make any noise in the playoffs it will probably be on the road. Time to be road warriors again!

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
MV5BMjMxMDQxMDAyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzcxMTM2NTE@._V1_.jpg

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that the Dallas Cowboys haven’t won a road playoff game in nearly 30 years. In the 1992 season, on Jan. 17, 1993, we beat the 49ers in SF in that great NFC championship game to get us to SB 27. Unbelievably-that was our last road playoff win!!!

Here’s the narrative that MUST change: The Cowboys are 0-8 on the road in the playoffs since 1993. Hard to believe but we haven’t won on the road in the playoffs since Jimmy stood on a chair in the post game locker room at SF in Jan ‘93 and screamed, “How about them Cowboys!” This year, unless the eagles collapse - and they could- we look to be a #5 seed, meaning we better become road warriors!

• From 1970-80 the Cowboys won 7 road playoff games, 3 of those wins were in NFC championship games.
Winning road playoff games is the mark of a great team. The way this season is shaping up, if the Cowboys are going to make any noise in the playoffs it will probably be on the road. Time to be road warriors again!
Didn't you create another thread on this very same subject about a month ago?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

source.gif

Flamma

Reaction score

You make a good point, and your numbers are spot on. But beyond 1975, I think Dallas was better than most of those teams they beat on the road. Beating the Vikings in '75, and then the 49ers in '92 were huge wins. But the rest?

fivetwos

Reaction score

I’m shocked you didn’t know that off the top of your head.

One day I decided to look into the entire team history as far as road playoff games…..

Unless my math was wrong there’s been all of nine in club history, and two in one season only once (1975).

I’ve personally seen only four….SF 92, Chi 91, Atl 80 (one of my fave all time games), Rams 78.

When some teams go out there and win as many as three in the same season, a total of four in the 45 years I’ve been watching is unbelievable.

And uh….unless we get some help, we are gonna need three in this season to get into the SB. That’s seems next to impossible given the above info, and shameful because this is our best team in a very long time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You make a good point, and your numbers are spot on. But beyond 1975, I think Dallas was better than most of those teams they beat on the road. Beating the Vikings in '75, and then the 49ers in '92 were huge wins. But the rest?
  • 1970- beat SF who had a better reg season record.
  • 1972- beatSF again who had a better record.
  • 1975- beat Minn (who had the best record in the league that year at 12-2, and the rams who were also were 12-2 and had the best offense in the league)
  • 1978- beat the rams again in the NFC championship game- the rams were 12-4 and had the biggest point differential in the league.
  • 1980- beat Atl in Divisional round. Falcons had a better record.

Praxit

Reaction score
..wow, that's an amazing stat. almost unbelievable.

The more reason to hang, much hope into this season.

dckid

Reaction score

Actually any playoff metrics we look at it will be terrible, unbelievable. We pride ourselves on being Americas team which equates to winning.
Having said there is no time like the present to get the monkey off the back.
Remember when we lost to Steve Young in 94 and he got that money off his back. The minimum is getting to the championship game and then anything can happen.
If they get there that is equivalent to breaking down the door.

SlammedZero

Reaction score

It's so sobering when you actually read it.

Could you imagine taking a time machine back to Jan 17,1993 and telling some fans this information? "I'm from the year 2022. This will be the last playoff road game you will see for at least another 30 years!" Besides the fact that they wouldn't believe you traveled through time, they would laugh you up that this Cowboys dynasty in the making would not win another road playoff game for that long. Yet.......here we are.

I feel like we're due, but then again I felt that way 10-15-20 years ago. lol :(

Flamma

Reaction score
  • 1970- beat SF who had a better reg season record.
  • 1972- beatSF again who had a better record.
  • 1975- beat Minn (who had the best record in the league that year at 12-2, and the rams who were also were 12-2 and had the best offense in the league)
  • 1978- beat the rams again in the NFC championship game- the rams were 12-4 and had the biggest point differential in the league.
  • 1980- beat Atl in Divisional round. Falcons had a better record.

I'm with you until you past 1975. In 1978 I was old enough to know the game. I fully expect the Cowboys to beat both the Rams and Falcons. But the Falcons turned out to be tougher than I thought.

1975 was at a weird time for me. I was 9 at the time. That was when I became a Cowboys fan because my father pissed me off. He got me into sports with small dollar bets. Got me to watch the games. He kind of cheated me at the end. I was supposed to get first pick in the SB. Ever since then I stuck with the Cowboys to spite him. After a while it was too late. So I'm just going by him when he said the Rams had zero chance. It would be the Steelers and Cowboys in the SB.

But I did not think that 1978 Rams team was that good. BTW, I think that 1975 Rams team gave up the least amount of points per game since 1975. I don't know about bore then.