CFZ Getting back to being road warriors

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm with you until you past 1975. In 1978 I was old enough to know the game. I fully expect the Cowboys to beat both the Rams and Falcons. But the Falcons turned out to be tougher than I thought.

1975 was at a weird time for me. I was 9 at the time. That was when I became a Cowboys fan because my father pissed me off. He got me into sports with small dollar bets. Got me to watch the games. He kind of cheated me at the end. I was supposed to get first pick in the SB. Ever since then I stuck with the Cowboys to spite him. After a while it was too late. So I'm just going by him when he said the Rams had zero chance. It would be the Steelers and Cowboys in the SB.

But I did not think that 1978 Rams team was that good. BTW, I think that 1975 Rams team gave up the least amount of points per game since 1975. I don't know about bore then.
Good stuff. I disagree with you about that ‘78 rams team. They were very good. They went to the SB the following year and gave the Steelers a very tough game before losing.

Flamma

Reaction score
Good stuff. I disagree with you about that ‘78 rams team. They were very good. They went to the SB the following year and gave the Steelers a very tough game before losing.

I was just going by how I saw the game at the time. Maybe I was foolish to be not worried, but I wasn't.

Which leads me to asking you a question provided you were old enough. I was too young to fully grasp it at the time. After we beat the Vikings in 1975, were you worried about the Rams? My father hated the Cowboys, but he thought the Rams weren't beating them. I was wondering what you thought of the Rams at the time?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that the Dallas Cowboys haven’t won a road playoff game in nearly 30 years. In the 1992 season, on Jan. 17, 1993, we beat the 49ers in SF in that great NFC championship game to get us to SB 27. Unbelievably-that was our last road playoff win!!!

Here’s the narrative that MUST change: The Cowboys are 0-8 on the road in the playoffs since 1993. Hard to believe but we haven’t won on the road in the playoffs since Jimmy stood on a chair in the post game locker room at SF in Jan ‘93 and screamed, “How about them Cowboys!” This year, unless the eagles collapse - and they could- we look to be a #5 seed, meaning we better become road warriors!

The Cowboys used to be road warriors. Especially from 1970-80.
  • From 1970-80 the Cowboys won 7 road playoff games, 3 of those wins were in NFC championship games.
  • The Cowboys road playoff record in those 11 seasons was 7-2.
Winning road playoff games is the mark of a great team. The way this season is shaping up, if the Cowboys are going to make any noise in the playoffs it will probably be on the road. Time to be road warriors again!
Well they should have the opportunity this year to change history.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I was just going by how I saw the game at the time. Maybe I was foolish to be not worried, but I wasn't.

Which leads me to asking you a question provided you were old enough. I was too young to fully grasp it at the time. After we beat the Vikings in 1975, were you worried about the Rams? My father hated the Cowboys, but he thought the Rams weren't beating them. I was wondering what you thought of the Rams at the time?
I saw the game.
My first year as a fan.
I was worried as the Rams were good.
We totally dismantled them.
30 to 10 , something like that.

Havic

Reaction score
tumblr_msvs37yYzN1sg99p0o1_1280.png
Whatta Rush!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Actually any playoff metrics we look at it will be terrible, unbelievable. We pride ourselves on being Americas team which equates to winning.
Having said there is no time like the present to get the monkey off the back.
Remember when we lost to Steve Young in 94 and he got that money off his back. The minimum is getting to the championship game and then anything can happen.
If they get there that is equivalent to breaking down the door.
We were America's team pre 1996.
Since then we have been America's joke.
Hopefully we can flip the script.

Flamma

Reaction score
I saw the game.
My first year as a fan.
I was worried as the Rams were good.
We totally dismantled them.
30 to 10 , something like that.

Dallas won 28-0. At the time I thought we'd beat the Rams and we did. But I also thought we'd beat the Rams in '76 and '79, and we didn't. So there you go.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Dallas won 28-0. At the time I thought we'd beat the Rams and we did. But I also thought we'd beat the Rams in '76 and '79, and we didn't. So there you go.
I was referring to the Rams game after the hail Mary Vikings game prior to the Steelers sb loss
In 75/76

Mannix

Reaction score
We were road warriors before The Goon took control of the NFL....and the referees at the time hadn't grown up hating the Cowobys like 99% of the current bunch did.

Beaker42

Reaction score
We have a solid run game and a solid defense. Something we have not had in the same season for years.
Both travel well on the road.
Wish our run D was solid but it's not - it's as solid as quicksand.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We’ve showed up and played some pretty darn good football 3/4 road games this year.

Just need the team to show up in the playoffs. OL and defense shows up and well be fine.

If they don’t, like against SF last year, we won’t be fine.

Flamma

Reaction score
I was referring to the Rams game after the hail Mary Vikings game prior to the Steelers sb loss
In 75/76

Oh. I think it was 37-7. I was not quite yet a fan of any team. I became one after the Cowboys lost the SB. That Rams team gave up the least amount of points per game during the regular season. That championship game certainly wasn't a good example of that.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Oh. I think it was 37-7. I was not quite yet a fan of any team. I became one after the Cowboys lost the SB. That Rams team gave up the least amount of points per game during the regular season. That championship game certainly wasn't a good example of that.
I do remember the 28 to zero game.
It was outstanding
It was the 78/79 season I think

Flamma

Reaction score
I do remember the 28 to zero game.
It was outstanding
It was the 78/79 season I think

It's weird. I remember watching that game. Where I was and on what TV. The same goes for every Dallas Cowboys championship game post 1975. In 1975 I was too young to have an understanding of who the better teams were.

If not for my father, I was warming up to a divisional rival. The team we are not allowed to type on these forums. Now I feel like I just crawled out of a septic tank, I shall go bathe.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve showed up and played some pretty darn good football 3/4 road games this year.

Just need the team to show up in the playoffs. OL and defense shows up and well be fine.

If they don’t, like against SF last year, we won’t be fine.
Winning in the playoffs- especially on the road- requires outstanding fundamentals- blocking, tackling and taking care of the football. And getting turnovers from the opponent. It’s a tall order.

Winning playoff games basically means you’ve played your best football for 60 minutes AND- you’ve been able to overcome adversity. Like mistakes, penalties, maybe a turnover. Winning playoff games requires mental toughness like we haven’t seen around here in a while. But this year’s team showed some mental fortitude at the beginning of the year. The teams that win SBs are always mentally tough.