Getting Hendershot Involved Early Could Help

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I realize he's a rookie. And I also realize we have Shultz and Ferguson, who I'd also like to see get involved.

But the Cowboys need a big target for Rush, who can also get deep. Plus, the league doesn't know much about Hendershot because there's not really any NFL tape on him.

Just my opinion. But I would try to show the Bengals something they've never seen before. I would do that by scheming plays with Hendershot and Fehoko, hitting those two with high percentage routes and then letting them open it up a little.

They at least have to take a few chances in this game. And we can't roll out there with Dennis freaking Houston again and expect different results.

I know. People will say we have Schultz and Hendershot is green, etcetera. But I'm talking about implementing him in the passing game as a target rather than blocking in the pass or run.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Hendershot do anything better or have any better skills than Schultz or Ferguson?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Does Hendershot do anything better or have any better skills than Schultz or Ferguson?

Yes, deep routes. Has long ball potential you don't see with Ferguson and Schutlz.

I would say Schultz is the short route guy, Ferguson is more of a medium-route guy in the passing game, and Hendershot is the medium-range, long ball type of TE.

Of course, they can all catch a ball deep, I'm just talking about the type of player they are in the game.

Last edited:

exciter

Reaction score
Not trying to be an ***, but what is that based on? I checked his 40 time ... 4.8. That's about the same as Ferguson, and a little slower than Schultz.
I believe they call it “grasping at straws”!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
i like the kid...Why not????

Right.

I love when people just google a player, look at his 40 time and assume that he can't win deep.

It's about scheme here. If you look at the tape, this is what Hendershot does.

Then again, I've known about his tape since right after we drafted him. And I think it's funny people are so willing to doubt him.

He's more impressive in the passing game than Ferguson, and that says a lot. Because Ferguson is also legit.

Plus, you're working with a backup QB. And they are going to try to take away the outside deep route with a safety over the top, so they need to use pump fakes to their advantage, and hit their TE's deep. To do that, you employ Hendershot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I realize he's a rookie. And I also realize we have Shultz and Ferguson, who I'd also like to see get involved.

But the Cowboys need a big target for Rush, who can also get deep. Plus, the league doesn't know much about Hendershot because there's not really any NFL tape on him.

Just my opinion. But I would try to show the Bengals something they've never seen before. I would do that by scheming plays with Hendershot and Fehoko, hitting those two with high percentage routes and then letting them open it up a little.

They at least have to take a few chances in this game. And we can't roll out there with Dennis freaking Houston again and expect different results.

I know. People will say we have Schultz and Hendershot is green, etcetera. But I'm talking about implementing him in the passing game as a target rather than blocking in the pass or run.
Maybe they can trade for Equanimeous St. Brown. He ran a 4.45 forty at 6-5, 214.

Starters
Fehoko
Hendershot
Equanimeous St. Brown
K. Turpin
TE Vernon Davis - 4.38 forty at 6-3, 254

exciter

Reaction score
Can he catch them on a downfield route?
Eh, I don’t really know, but I’m really skeptical that the 6’4 UDFA rookie TE that runs a 4.8 is gonna come to save the day. Maybe after a few downers of scotch!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right.

I love when people just google a player, look at his 40 time and assume that he can't win deep.

It's about scheme here. If you look at the tape, this is what Hendershot does.

Then again, I've known about his tape since right after we drafted him. And I think it's funny people are so willing to doubt him.

He's more impressive in the passing game than Ferguson, and that says a lot. Because Ferguson is also legit.

Plus, you're working with a backup QB. And they are going to try to take away the outside deep route with a safety over the top, so they need to use pump fakes to their advantage, and hit their TE's deep. To do that, you employ Hendershot.
I didn't assume he can't win deep, I asked what evidence we have that he can do it any better than Schultz or Ferguson. It seems like the idea he can do things better than Schultz and Ferguson is where assumption is coming into play. There really just isn't the evidence at this point to make any claim about how he stacks up against those guys.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Eh, I don’t really know, but I’m really skeptical that the 6’4 UDFA rookie TE that runs a 4.8 is gonna come to save the day. Maybe after a few downers of scotch!

You're missing the point.

Maybe they can trade for Equanimeous St. Brown. He ran a 4.45 forty at 6-5, 214.

Starters
Fehoko
Hendershot
Equanimeous St. Brown
K. Turpin

St. Brown would be ideal for a guy like Rush.

I would like to entertain trades myself, but I just don't think they are in win mode this year. I think they're planning on tanking. Just my hunch. I've seen players in the past come in new and play in a matter of weeks. So, I don't think their mindset is there. Or I'd be down to trade like you're suggesting. Nice player list, and I like those potential lineups, though.

I think when Gallup gets back, it will help. But who knows where he is as far as being ready or to return as the same player, playing at the same level. There were times when he was really racking up numbers.

Right now, my ideal lineup is Lamb, Fehoko/Tolbert, Turpin in the slot, and Hendershot/Shultz or Hendershot/Ferguson in the 12 sets. I want to see some 13 personnel, too. But they should save that for inside the 12 yard line.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I didn't assume he can't win deep, I asked what evidence we have that he can do it any better than Schultz or Ferguson. It seems like the idea he can do things better than Schultz and Ferguson is where assumption is coming into play. There really just isn't the evidence at this point to make any claim about how he stacks up against those guys.

You would have to look at his tape. That's all I can really tell you.

Googling his 40 time isn't enough to determine what you're talking about or whether your perspective is correct, incorrect, has merit or doesn't... et cetera.

I'd rather see Turpin in the slot

I'm with you.

It's not an either or proposition.

exciter

Reaction score

Starters
Fehoko
Hendershot
Equanimeous St. Brown
K. Turpin
St Brown had 9 and 7 receptions in Green Bay the last 2 seasons. I’d be surprised if Davis ran anything close to a 4.38 these days… his play never matched that speed when he did!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You would have to look at his tape. That's all I can really tell you.

Googling his 40 time isn't enough to determine what you're talking about or whether your perspective is correct, incorrect, has merit or doesn't... et cetera.
I understand and agree that 40 time isn't all there is, but what tape are you looking at? College? Preseason? Do we not think scouts looked at tape and do we not think scouts watched and judged his performance at the combine? He was rated as a lower level prospect than either Schultz or Ferguson.

And before you tell me that ratings coming out of college don't always tell the story, I agree with that too. But short of seeing him actually play in NFL regular season games all we have to judge by is the info we have, which thus far doesn't really give us a reason to believe he is a better option.

Toro9

Reaction score

Not sure what you're thinking here.

exciter

Reaction score
You're missing the point.

St. Brown would be ideal for a guy like Rush.

I would like to entertain trades myself, but I just don't think they are in win mode this year. I think they're planning on tanking. Just my hunch. I've seen players in the past come in new and play in a matter of weeks. So, I don't think their mindset is there. Or I'd be down to trade like you're suggesting. Nice player list, and I like those potential lineups, though.

I think when Gallup gets back, it will help. But who knows where he is as far as being ready or to return as the same player, playing at the same level. There were times when he was really racking up numbers.

Right now, my ideal lineup is Lamb, Fehoko/Tolbert, Turpin in the slot, and Hendershot/Shultz or Hendershot/Ferguson in the 12 sets. I want to see some 13 personnel, too. But they should save that for inside the 12 yard line.
What point? He had a descent game playing against players who are now employed as bouncers. He’s a ok developmental player but he’s not even on the same level as Ferguson yet, and Ferguson would be better suited as the 3 developing himself. St Brown sucked for 3 year with Aaron Rogers, specifically because he’s a horrible route runner. How is that ideal for Rush?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
if he gets open, I think rush will hit him.

It's about scheme, which some are apparently not grasping here.

Oh well.

The guy did it in college. And I suspect he can do it in the NFL.

I'm not saying he's Gronkowski.

But Hendershot is a potential threat, they just have to utilize him correctly.

I would roll 12 with Hendershot on Fehoko's side....

BTW, deep for a TE is like 15 yards. But i've seen Hendershot open up and catch passes for 35. He's more suited for the vertical game. Medium to long pass game.....

Not you...but the rest are all missing the point here, and I think it's hilarious. You throw to the middle to keep the defense honest, it opens everything up, if you can work the middle from the middle, because they have to stick in the middle.

You can also roll with the short game and create mismatches. Since they will be doubling Cee Dee, you may put your pass catcher on his side... Derp.

My point here is, and I think you'll see . . maybe it's not Hendershot, maybe it's Ferguson, but only targeting Schultz was a Dak thing..Dak forcing it to Schultz.

It's funny . . . all these jackasses thinking with a bitter perspective because they lost . . . like a bunch of cry babies.

There is more than one play each game.. and you have to get your players involved. Forcing it to a player is obvious and that's why the Cowboys were beaten last week.

Spread it out in the passing game, or lose. it's how this game works, most of the time.

Last edited: