GFLI Big Six - why aren't we signing players from it?

csirl

Reaction score
We've all seen GFL Rookie of the Year Moritz Boehringer get drafted by the Vikings in the 6th. MoBo had to go into the draft because he was 22 (or younger as per NFL draft rules). Non-NCAA players 23 and over don't need to go into the draft.

Some context. MoBo plays in Europe's best 'domestic league' which is of similar standard to FCS football. While he is Rookie of the Year, there are dozens of players of similar standard in the GFL.

MoBo wasn't playing at the highest level in Europe. The GFL International BIG SIX is Europe's highest level of football. It is essentially filling the gap in the market previously occupied by NFL Europe. It is better than domestic GFL football (though includes clubs also playing GFL). This league would also have loads of players of equal or better than MoBo,(who never made it to this level).

While many BIG SIX or indeed GFL players are older seasoned pros, a high percentage are 23/24 years old i.e. still young enough to start a NFL career.

These 23/24 year olds don't need to go into the draft. They can be signed at any time on a first come first served basis (provided modest guaranteed money is given as they are already pro players).

Why aren't the Cowboys raiding Germany for players? Would be like getting several extra mid to late draft picks per year. Huge competitive advantage.

Only a matter of time before others start doing it - 4 x GFL players have already been signed for the upcoming NFL season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've all seen GFL Rookie of the Year Moritz Boehringer get drafted by the Vikings in the 6th. MoBo had to go into the draft because he was 22 (or younger as per NFL draft rules). Non-NCAA players 23 and over don't need to go into the draft.

Some context. MoBo plays in Europe's best 'domestic league' which is of similar standard to FCS football. While he is Rookie of the Year, there are dozens of players of similar standard in the GFL.

MoBo wasn't playing at the highest level in Europe. The GFL International BIG SIX is Europe's highest level of football. It is essentially filling the gap in the market previously occupied by NFL Europe. It is better than domestic GFL football (though includes clubs also playing GFL). This league would also have loads of players of equal or better than MoBo,(who never made it to this level).

While many BIG SIX or indeed GFL players are older seasoned pros, a high percentage are 23/24 years old i.e. still young enough to start a NFL career.

These 23/24 year olds don't need to go into the draft. They can be signed at any time on a first come first served basis (provided modest guaranteed money is given as they are already pro players).

Why aren't the Cowboys raiding Germany for players? Would be like getting several extra mid to late draft picks per year. Huge competitive advantage.

Only a matter of time before others start doing it - 4 x GFL players have already been signed for the upcoming NFL season.

I love the idea and I have to wonder why the Cowboys aren't pursuing it. Is there some factor we don't know about?

This is exactly the creative, out-of-the-box thinking that helped the Cowboys become the perennial playoff and Super Bowl contender they were in the 70's and 80's. They left no stone unturned in an effort to acquire talent and gain an advantage over their opponents.

I'd like to see a return to that creativity and innovation.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love the idea and I have to wonder why the Cowboys aren't pursuing it. Is there some factor we don't know about?

This is exactly the creative, out-of-the-box thinking that helped the Cowboys become the perennial playoff and Super Bowl contender they were in the 70's and 80's. They left no stone unturned in an effort to acquire talent and gain an advantage over their opponents.

I'd like to see a return to that creativity and innovation.

You mean like drafting a basketball player?

Ha!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean like drafting a basketball player?

Ha!

I actually liked that pick, a lot. I'm not as crazy about the talk of playing him at defensive end made after the draft. That makes me think they already don't know what to do with him and they'll have a lack of conviction and a quick hook at either spot.

You signed a project, and projects require patience.

Reactions: BAT

csirl

Reaction score
Interesting that most of the GFL or other European players who've been signed in recent weeks are guys who blagged their way into pro days. Sometimes turning up on spec. Very few people have the nerve to try this approach and you may end up spending thousands on a trip to the U.S. only to be denied the opportunity.

Cowboys should hold a pro day type tryout event in Germany every year targeting 23-25 year olds who can be signed without going through the draft. Cost would be no more than a few thousand dollars to arrange - small change for a NFL team. Even if you only got 1 player who sticks every couple of years it
would be worth it. My guess is you'd get at least 3-4 per annum who'd be worth a training camp spot.