Giants, Arrington reach agreement in principle

Woods

Reaction score
Sometimes I get the feeling that Arrington is all over the place (and I don't mean that in a good way).

Wasn't this the same player who was contemplating retirement about 2 months ago and wasn't sure what he really wanted to do?

I don't know, maybe the Giants got a great deal, but I'm a bit wary.

We all know that the Skins will overpay for almost any position and player. Yet, knowing there is going to be a hole at LB if they allow Arrington to walk, they are quite happy to let Arrington buy his way out of his contract?

And then you add in Arrington's injuries, inability to play within schemes, etc., it just seems like a big question mark to me.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
This is good because it takes one more player out of the LB running in the draft (hopefully).

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Charles said:
Huh.....What is this??? a Poston client getting paid Again.

Its funny how the perception of the Poston's is so different from reality. They get the job done. Reading a thread about a week and a half ago you'd think the Poston clients were inflicted.

Peterson and Arrington down.......Woodson and Law to go

He got a 5 mill signing bonus and an incentive loaded contract, it says 49 million so people like yourself will go man those postons got him some dough, but he will never see most of that money.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
CactusCowboy said:
Giants will be a force, expecially on D.

Yes they will. I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting sick of watching the Giants sign good players in their prime (Burress, Pierce, Arrington, McKenzie etc.). They're going to be good on both sides of the ball. This division is going to be tough as hell.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CactusCowboy said:
Giants will be a force, expecially on D.

I disagree strongly...I like Umenyoira (sp) but Strahan is wearing down...Pierce is very good at MLB but they have nothing else that would be considered "good" (Arrington- overrated and good are not the same thing)...their secondary isnt very impressive either, and dont give me "they signed Sam Madison!!"...he's 32 already and a shadow of his former self

I think the G-men are destined for a royal flop in 2006...wouldnt surprise me at all to see them 6-10

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BIGDen said:
Yes they will. I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting sick of watching the Giants sign good players in their prime (Burress, Pierce, Arrington, McKenzie etc.). They're going to be good on both sides of the ball. This division is going to be tough as hell.

Arrington is in his prime? huh? he has hardly played in two or three years, and when he HAS played he has ben painfully average at best

McKenzie was a turnstyle for alot of last season

Burress basically disappeared the 2nd half of last yr and did nothing in either game against us, and the 2nd game we used 5'9 Aaron Glenn on him some, now of course there is talk that Coughlin is sick of him and his punk act (surprise surprise)

Pierce is a good player however

but you really exaggerated your post...of the 4 guys above, only one of them is a really "good" player

David

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I disagree strongly...I like Umenyoira (sp) but Strahan is wearing down...Pierce is very good at MLB but they have nothing else that would be considered "good" (Arrington- overrated and good are not the same thing)...their secondary isnt very impressive either, and dont give me "they signed Sam Madison!!"...he's 32 already and a shadow of his former self

I think the G-men are destined for a royal flop in 2006...wouldnt surprise me at all to see them 6-10

David

Not to mention the fact that the Coughlin act already seems to be wearing thin. A highly paid player not showing up for the last meeting of the year and their star running back openly saying they got outcoached in the final game of the year without anyone jumping in to support the coach..... Coughlin IMHO will be gone(fired) within 2 years.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Arrington is in his prime? huh? he has hardly played in two or three years, and when he HAS played he has ben painfully average at best

McKenzie was a turnstyle for alot of last season

Burress basically disappeared the 2nd half of last yr and did nothing in either game against us, and the 2nd game we used 5'9 Aaron Glenn on him some, now of course there is talk that Coughlin is sick of him and his punk act (surprise surprise)

Pierce is a good player however

but you really exaggerated your post...of the 4 guys above, only one of them is a really "good" player

David

So hostile, but I like the negative spin you put on the Giants signings. McKenzie's issues had more to do with penalties than being "a turnstile". Pierce is very good. Burress is good, but inconsistent at times. Arrington was a Pro Bowler who is still pretty young, but hopefully does not regain his pre-injury form. I'm not saying every guy is All-Pro, but the Giants have made some very good moves over the past few years and it's annoying. I certainly hope you're right when you say only one of these players is good. Unfortunately, I think they're a little better than you give them credit for.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BIGDen said:
So hostile, but I like the negative spin you put on the Giants signings. McKenzie's issues had more to do with penalties than being "a turnstile". Pierce is very good. Burress is good, but inconsistent at times. Arrington was a Pro Bowler who is still pretty young, but hopefully does not regain his pre-injury form. I'm not saying every guy is All-Pro, but the Giants have made some very good moves over the past few years and it's annoying. I certainly hope you're right when you say only one of these players is good. Unfortunately, I think they're a little better than you give them credit for.

Arrington has been one of the most overrated players in football since he arrived...he makes as many, if not more knuckleheaded plays than good ones...Marvin Lewis didnt like him as a player, niether did Greg Williams or Joe Gibbs...thats 3 damn good coaches who dont want the guy

Burress is an extremely hot and cold player that another very good coach (Cowher) couldnt wait to get rid of

as for McKenzie, go back and watch just the two games we played against them last yr if you think he wasnt a turnstile...considering what he signed for, he was a bust

David

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think this Arrington signing is so up in the air. They either paid too much for an overrated player or they signed a guy that can put their defense over the top. Will be impossible to say until we see the results. I do know that if we had signed him, it would have been considered a great signing by most. Sort of like the Giants version of the TO signing althought TO is probably more prolific.

SacredStar

Reaction score
Good signing by NY.

That defense has filled some holes quite nicely. They will be force to be reckoned with, no doubt about it.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Who stays longer?

Eeenie...meenie...miney...

Uh..gee, tough question.

I think Couglin/Arrington will put in more years together than Parcells/Owens. :D

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99 said:
I think Couglin/Arrington will put in more years together than Parcells/Owens. :D
Only a politician could dodge a question better.

Not that I disagree......... :wink2:

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
Sux to lose'm but he really did jack last season......It really does fill a huge hole in NYG though.....

This is gonna be the best division in the NFL........

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Arrington has been one of the most overrated players in football since he arrived...he makes as many, if not more knuckleheaded plays than good ones...Marvin Lewis didnt like him as a player, niether did Greg Williams or Joe Gibbs...thats 3 damn good coaches who dont want the guy

Burress is an extremely hot and cold player that another very good coach (Cowher) couldnt wait to get rid of

as for McKenzie, go back and watch just the two games we played against them last yr if you think he wasnt a turnstile...considering what he signed for, he was a bust

David

Like I said, I hope you're right. I live in NJ and see just about every Giants game and I think those players are better than you think. But I hope they all end up being busts.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dmq said:
I think this Arrington signing is so up in the air. They either paid too much for an overrated player or they signed a guy that can put their defense over the top. Will be impossible to say until we see the results. I do know that if we had signed him, it would have been considered a great signing by most. Sort of like the Giants version of the TO signing althought TO is probably more prolific.

Arrington has never put anybody over the top, and he wont put the Giants over the top either

most likely he'll be on the injury report the first week of the season

and had we signed him for any amount of money I'd have bashed the crap out of it as the worst move of the offseason by far...the guy just isnt very good and he is always hurt

David

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hopefully Arrington will pull a Joe Thiesman on Mark Brunell...! :laugh2: