Giants going after Sam Madison & Pierce is pushing team for Arrington

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Man... anyone feel like the Cowboys are getting left out in the cold in the NFC East? The Eagles and Giants are already going for the kill and the Skins will probably be joining if a new CBA gets done. It also bothers me how the Giants and Eagles are going after players that the Cowboys could use! (linebacker, offensive line, etc.)

http://www.nj.com/giants/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/114171404371310.xml&coll=1

Arrington, Madison top Giants' help-wanted list

The start of free agency is just two days away, but the Giants have begun actively pursuing at least one player to help them on defense.

And they could be after another one as well.

Cornerback Sam Madison, a nine-year veteran who was released by the Miami Dolphins last week, visited the Giants yesterday and took a physical, according to a team official. Madison arrived early in the morning and left late early in the evening.

General manager Ernie Accorsi declined comment when asked about the negotiations and Madison's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not return several phone messages.

Meanwhile, one Giants player said yesterday that middle linebacker Antonio Pierce has begun making a big push for the team to sign outside linebacker LaVar Arrington, his former teammate with the Commanders.

Arrington, 27, was drafted second overall by Washington in 2000 and made three consecutive Pro Bowls beginning with his second season in the league when he recorded three interceptions. In 2002, the former Penn State star had a career-best 11 sacks and forced six fumbles the following season.

But Arrington's final two years in Washington were marred by a knee injury, a contract dispute and his being benched for one game this past season. At the time, the team said the benching was because Arrington was still recovering from his injury, but it was widely reported the coaching staff was upset with his undisciplined play in coordinator Gregg Williams' system.

On Sunday, Arrington agreed to a buyout of his contract instead of waiting until June to be released.

The Giants player, who requested anonymity, said the team is interested in Arrington, but isn't certain the franchise has enough money under the current salary cap to afford him. However, if the NFL owners accept the union's latest proposal for a new collective bargaining agreement today, the cap would rise about $10 million per team. That would give the Giants plenty of room to add Arrington.

The player also noted that while money will be a concern for Arrington, the fact that he forfeited $4 million to leave Washington is proof a good situation is also of major importance to him. Playing alongside Pierce on a team that is on the upswing could qualify as a good situation.

In a radio interview in Washington yesterday, Arrington said he wants to stay in the NFC East, but would prefer not to play for the Cowboys. That obviously leaves the Eagles and Giants as the top two on his list of potential destinations. In recent years, though, the Eagles have been reluctant to give big contracts to linebackers. Instead, they have settled on players such as Nate Wayne and former Giant Dhani Jones, who have come at discounted rates.

The Giants, who signed Pierce one year after adding outside linebacker and former Eagle Carlos Emmons in 2004, have been more willing to pour money into the position. Accorsi refused to comment on the team's interest in Arrington, whose agent, Carl Poston, did not return a phone message left at his office yesterday afternoon.

When asked yesterday on his way out of Giants Stadium if he had petitioned the team to pursue Arrington, Pierce would not comment. He did say, though, that he had recently been told by doctors he is back to 100 percent after suffering an ankle injury that kept him out of the final three regular-season games and the playoff loss to the Panthers.

It was in that defeat to Carolina that the Giants' injury-depleted back seven was exploited. It then became obvious the team needed more depth and reliable veterans at linebacker and in the secondary.

Madison, who turns 32 in April, could be the first player added to fill such voids. However, he is no longer the shutdown corner who had 20 interceptions combined in 1998-2000. In fact, Miami cut him even though he was willing to take a pay cut.

The Giants would like to add Madison at a discounted rate. With Will Allen likely to leave once free agency begins, Corey Webster entering his second year and Will Peterson's health uncertain, a player like Madison could be a reliable third corner and possibly a starter.

Woods

Reaction score
Personally, I was hoping we would have at least re-signed Fujita by now.

Well, we have the money, I guess we're just going to wait for awhile . . . .

I'm curious as to which players we're targeting (other than the obvious Fabini).

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Woods said:
Personally, I was hoping we would have at least re-signed Fujita by now.

Well, we have the money, I guess we're just going to wait for awhile . . . .

I'm curious as to which players we're targeting (other than the obvious Fabini).
Add Mawae, Sowell, and Coleman to the obvious list

Woods

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Add Mawae, Sowell, and Coleman to the obvious list

You really think Mawae?

From what I've been reading, it doesn't seem Mawae wants to play for a bare bones contract. And I really hope we don't give him a huge one. I guess that may also mean the end of the A. Johnson experiment.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Woods said:
You really think Mawae?

From what I've been reading, it doesn't seem Mawae wants to play for a bare bones contract. And I really hope we don't give him a huge one. I guess that may also mean the end of the A. Johnson experiment.
He's 35 no one is going to give him a big contract

superpunk

Reaction score
You realize this is all speculation, and the Giants currently don't really have the space to sign either player, right?

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the Cowboys salivate at the mouth at the thought of signing a 35 year old/injured center (Mawae), and other various 30+ yr old washed up Jets...

sickening.

just like 2004's off-season... will we sit on our hands again and end up with Marcellus Wiley and Vinny Ballsackverde?

neosapien23

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Man... anyone feel like the Cowboys are getting left out in the cold in the NFC East? The Eagles and Giants are already going for the kill and the Skins will probably be joining if a new CBA gets done. It also bothers me how the Giants and Eagles are going after players that the Cowboys could use! (linebacker, offensive line, etc.)

Yeah I feel the same way. I don't care if the Cowboys sign any big name free agents, but we do need to bring some people in. I think Akin Adoyele is a canidate to be scooped up once he hits the open market. He will be cheap and he is 6'2" and weighs 257lbs. Alot of people have stated that he isn't much of a pass rusher, but I think he would probably be moved to the ILB spot. With his size, he would be able to shed blocks and get to the running back. The one thing that dude excels at is stopping the run. Fujita can man the other OLB spot. Look for Hope to be a Cowboy. He hasn't signed a long term contract and is on his way out.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
superpunk said:
You realize this is all speculation, and the Giants currently don't really have the space to sign either player, right?

Since when is bringing someone in for a physical only speculation? :blind:

superpunk

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Since when is bringing someone in for a physical only speculation? :blind:

Oops...should read both players, not either player.:eek:: Physical or no, it's still speculation.;) And I don't think Madison is that great of an upgrade.

superpunk

Reaction score
Wheat said:
The Giants has bigger DB needs than LB.

I don't know. As bad as their DBs are, when their LBs were healthy, the DBs really didn't look that bad. Once they lost their starters and depth, Osi's piss-poor run defense was exposed, apparently. I think both positions need addressed big time for the Giants.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Madison doesn't scare me one bit. He wasn't as good as Surtain IMO, and Surtain didn't look very good in KC last year.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SupermanXx said:
Meanwhile, the Cowboys salivate at the mouth at the thought of signing a 35 year old/injured center (Mawae), and other various 30+ yr old washed up Jets...

sickening.

just like 2004's off-season... will we sit on our hands again and end up with Marcellus Wiley and Vinny Ballsackverde?

Really...I have heard NO word at who they are targeting.

Have heard many fans and mediots speculate but nothing from the cowboys.

Woods

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Really...I have heard NO word at who they are targeting.

Have heard many fans and mediots speculate but nothing from the cowboys.

Exactly, things very quiet at Valley Ranch.

Hey, maybe they went to the Bahamas or something on vaca? :D

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboys1 said:
guys bottom line fujita is horrible please do not resign him

I would resign him for a small contract...guy would be depth at worst.

Last year, many many times we heard Bill talk about he was uncomfortable with the LB depth on this team.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SupermanXx said:
Brainpaint, word out of Valley Ranch is that Parcells wants to sign Garo Yupremian as our top FA this year

I thought we were going after Ray Finkle?

superpunk

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I thought we were going after Ray Finkle?

How soon before LA rips HIS head off?

LACES OUT!!!!!!

Cortez never had it so good.....

Murph80

Reaction score
I look for the other NFC East teams to start making their CB moves to counter aganist MR. Owens and the Dallas Cowboys.

How do you cover the attack of Johnson, Owens, Glenn and Witten?????