Giants = Manning could be done

Murph80

Reaction score
I just read some bad news for those Giants. Mannings MRI is back and it doesn't sound good. Could be the same injury Tommy Maddox had last year with his elbow injury. Read this at ROTOWORLD.COM

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Didn't even know he got hurt. Tough break for the Giants.

blindzebra

Reaction score
There is nothing about it on ESPN or NFL.com, but this was on Fox.

Giants worried about Eli's elbow injury

Associated Press
Posted: 28 minutes ago
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning will have further tests on the right elbow he injured Saturday night in a 27-21 victory over Carolina.

Manning woke up Sunday with soreness in the elbow. The second-year quarterback had an MRI and is scheduled to be examined by team orthopedist Dr. Russell Warren on Monday.

"Our situation is we want to wait until the complete exam is concluded," coach Tom Coughlin said. "We're very concerned. Any time a quarterback has soreness in his elbow there is concern. It's not like he woke up and was out there throwing and you were getting reports that there was nothing to it."

Manning was injured in the second quarter when Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers came from Manning's right side and slapped the ball out of his hand as he was about to throw it. Peppers recovered the fumble and ran 29 yards for a touchdown.

Manning stayed in the game and threw a 41-yard touchdown pass to Amani Toomer on the Giants' next series, but said his elbow was bothering him on the sideline before he re-entered the game.

"It felt a little funny, but I knew I could still go in there and throw the ball," he said. "I didn't throw it great on the touchdown. I didn't get quite enough on it, but I got enough to get it there."

The Giants were already looking to make a deal for a veteran backup before Manning's injury. On Saturday, former Cleveland Browns quarterback Tim Couch visited Giants Stadium for an interview and workout, a Giants official confirmed.

Couch, the first pick in the 1999 draft by the Browns, was released in 2004 and failed to make the Green Bay Packers' roster last season. He underwent shoulder surgery in February.

"We've taken the position to scour the best talent level available at all positions, and we'll continue to do that," Coughlin said Sunday. "Our position has never changed."

Journeyman Tim Hasselbeck, acquired in the offseason from Washington, and Jesse Palmer are currently competing for the backup position behind Manning. Hasselbeck has the edge and is 15-for-30 for 183 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in two preseason games. Palmer was 2-for-3 for 20 yards and an interception in the Giants' 17-14 loss to Cleveland on Aug. 13 and did not play against Carolina. In other injury news, Giants cornerback Will Peterson, who injured his knee in the first quarter against Carolina and left the game, was diagnosed with an MCL sprain, Coughlin said.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
from espn

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250820019

It doesn't sound like anything based on this story.. He came back and played after the Pepper's play..

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Led by rookie Corey Webster, a New York Giants secondary maligned for its inability to hang onto the ball made amends Saturday night with four interceptions in a 27-21 win over Carolina.

Inserted into the first unit after an injury to starter Will Peterson, Webster had an interception and recovered a fumble as the Giants forced six turnovers against the Panthers and snapped Carolina's 10-game preseason win streak.

Eli Manning threw two long scoring passes to overcome a subpar performance by the Giants' first-team offense and defense, both of which were pushed around by the Panthers in the first half.

Aside from the two touchdown passes, the Panthers' starters virtually shut down the Giants' offense. Defensive end Julius Peppers scored one of Carolina's touchdowns on a 29-yard fumble return.

Manning was 3-of-9 for 150 yards -- 131 of which came on the two scoring plays -- and looked hurried and out of rhythm on most of his pass attempts. The second-year quarterback connected on touchdown passes of 90 yards to David Tyree and 41 yards to Amani Toomer.

Manning suffered an elbow sprain when Peppers sacked him on the play that led to the touchdown, but X-rays were negative.

"He hit the ball out and when I tried to throw, it was like throwing air," Manning said. "It feels better now, and everything should be fine. Hopefully I'll be ready on Monday. I need the reps."

Backup quarterback Tim Hasselbeck threw a 6-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Tim Carter in the fourth quarter for the Giants' final points.

Jake Delhomme was 15-of-19 for 146 yards for the Panthers and appeared able to move the ball at will against the Giants during his quarter and a half of work. But despite rolling up 260 yards of offense in the first half, the Panthers trailed 17-14 at the half, with one of their two touchdowns coming on the fumble return by Peppers.

The other touchdown came on a 2-yard pass from Delhomme to tight end Mike Seidman in the first quarter.

"We did some good things but turnovers bit us," said Carolina coach John Fox. "We made some big plays, but we gave up some big plays. Yardage-wise we did pretty good, but that doesn't win games."

Webster was recruited as a wide receiver at LSU before being switched to defensive back before his sophomore year, and he finished with 16 career interceptions, the second-most in school history. The Giants drafted him to improve a secondary that often failed to capitalize on interception opportunities last season.

In the second quarter, Webster stripped the ball from Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith at the Carolina 28, setting up Jay Feeley's 35-yard field goal. In the third quarter, he intercepted Chris Weinke and returned the ball 28 yards.

Will Allen, Curtis DeLoatch and Justin Tuck also picked off passes for the Giants, who dropped several potential interceptions against Cleveland a week earlier.

"It was a good start," Webster said. "Coach preaches interceptions and turnovers. We picked up where we left off last week, and we turned the knockdowns into interceptions."

On Carolina's first possession of the game, Delhomme drove the Panthers to the New York 17 before throwing a ball directly into the hands of Allen at the 3.

Three plays later, Manning completed an 8-yard pass to Tyree, who appeared to be wrapped up by linebacker Will Witherspoon. But the second-year wide receiver slipped away and ran down the right sideline.

The Giants' offensive futility was illustrated on the starters' final possession of the first half.

Under pressure on first down, Manning's pass fell far short of tight end Visanthe Shiancoe. On the next play, Peppers blew past right tackle Kareem McKenzie, knocked the ball out of Manning's hand and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown to give Carolina a 14-10 lead, dunking the ball over the crossbar for emphasis.

Manning brought the Giants back two plays later, hitting Toomer down the middle for a 41-yard touchdown.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Well, there was definitely an MRI being done today, as he got injured on a hit by Peppers last night. Coughlin did sound concerned pre-MRI in an article I read earlier today.

Either way, we should see it hit the major sites in a half hour or less.

EDIT: Zebra beat me to it by posting the article, LOL

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
That's a real tough break for the Giants. I wish Eli a speedy recovery.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
http://www.giants.com/news/transcripts/story.asp?story_id=7832

Transcript: Coach Tom Coughlin
Coughlin updates media on Manning, Peterson injuries.
August 21, 2005

Opening Statement: I can say right off the bat that right now Eli’s going through a series of tests. They’ve done tests on him today. We’re calling it a sprain, the x-ray was negative. I don’t have any more information. I’m sure that Dr. Warren, who is not going to be able to see Eli until the morning, is going to give him a full analysis and look at all the information and see how the elbow is tomorrow before anything further can be said. Our situation right now is that we’re waiting until the complete examination is concluded and that will have to wait until Dr. Warren is available to see Eli tomorrow morning.

JDSmith

Reaction score
From the sporting news:
New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning will have further tests on the right elbow he injured Saturday night in a 27-21 victory over Carolina.

Manning woke up Sunday with soreness in the elbow. The second-year quarterback had an MRI and is scheduled to be examined by team orthopedist Dr. Russell Warren on Monday.

"Our situation is we want to wait until the complete exam is concluded," coach Tom Coughlin said. "We're very concerned. Any time a quarterback has soreness in his elbow there is concern. It's not like he woke up and was out there throwing and you were getting reports that there was nothing to it."

Manning was injured in the second quarter when Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers came from Manning's right side and slapped the ball out of his hand as he was about to throw it. Peppers recovered the fumble and ran 29 yards for a touchdown.

Manning stayed in the game and threw a 41-yard touchdown pass to Amani Toomer on the Giants' next series, but said his elbow was bothering him on the sideline before he re-entered the game.

"It felt a little funny, but I knew I could still go in there and throw the ball," he said. "I didn't throw it great on the touchdown. I didn't get quite enough on it, but I got enough to get it there."

The Giants were already looking to make a deal for a veteran backup before Manning's injury. On Saturday, former Cleveland Browns quarterback Tim Couch visited Giants Stadium for an interview and workout, a Giants official confirmed.

Couch, the first pick in the 1999 draft by the Browns, was released in 2004 and failed to make the Green Bay Packers' roster last season. He underwent shoulder surgery in February.

"We've taken the position to scour the best talent level available at all positions, and we'll continue to do that," Coughlin said Sunday. "Our position has never changed."

Journeyman Tim Hasselbeck, acquired in the offseason from Washington, and Jesse Palmer are currently competing for the backup position behind Manning. Hasselbeck has the edge and is 15-for-30 for 183 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in two preseason games.

Palmer was 2-for-3 for 20 yards and an interception in the Giants' 17-14 loss to Cleveland on Aug. 13 and did not play against Carolina.

In other injury news, Giants cornerback Will Peterson, who injured his knee in the first quarter against Carolina and left the game, was diagnosed with an MCL sprain, Coughlin said.

No mention of the results of the MRI. So unless this guy has some insider info...

ghst187

Reaction score
losing Eli for a year or so would be like loading up all your belongings on the Titanic....which is what the Gints essentially did....
money, Warner, draft picks, time, team orientation....
would definitely make them only moderately competitive....

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
as much as i hate to say it with us having to play them twice a year i hope this eli turns out to be a good one.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
seriously. its alot of developmental time for him to miss. Hes been thrown to the WOlves, didnt do too well, now he may be out. I think he would have been OK ths year, and then tore it upin his 3rd year. If its not too serious, I tink Dallas and Giants will be the best teams in the NFC East in 2006.

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
It's from Rotoworld.

A unrealible source if I remember correctly.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Rotoworld listed their source as Fox Sports.. However it looks like its their speculation about the injury being the same as what happened to Maddox.
The FoxSports report is something for AP and is what JDSmith posted above

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
as I've always told ya Banned I'm a real nice guy......most of the that that is.

I like Eli and I do wish him a speedy recovery.