Giants | Manning looking for ways to improve

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:11:39 -0700

Vinny DiTrani, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Giants QB Eli Manning has been looking at film to see how he can improve on his 2005 season. Both he and quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride think they found one answer, and it's as easy as 1, 2, 5. "I've got to go to my checkdowns faster," Manning said. "Sometimes I have to realize the other team had a good defense called and I can't make a play down the field, so it's better to just dump it off."

Manning is so programmed to follow instructions he tries to go through all his receiver progressions on each play. Doing so can result in the quarterback being pressured or sometimes tattooed somewhere between 3 and 4. The remedy is to skip 3 and 4, maybe even 2 at times, and go right to 5, usually a dump-off to RB Tiki Barber.

As far as the "bad mechanics" rap Manning received down the stretch, Gilbride said: "His mechanics were pretty good, not flawless, but pretty good. Occasionally he'd lower his front shoulder and the ball would sail. But there wasn't one thing in particular he was doing wrong, he was pretty solid."

burmafrd

Reaction score
Wow can we read between the lines here: He is slow thinking and cannot make the decision quick enough. He is still learning how to throw.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yeah, I would say the same. A QB is supposed to improve the more he plays= like Aikman did. At least a trend should be there for better and quicker reads, fewer INT's, etc. Manning- I just do not see it. Bottom line with him is that I think that unless he improves his accuracy it will not matter.

Givincer

Reaction score
theogt said:
If he were a Cowboy, the "bust" crows (myself included) would be overwhelming.

Don't get me wrong, I really do hate Eli Manning, but lets be honest here. The guy had a good year last year in just his second year, and his first full year as a starter. 3700yds 24tds 17ints is not a bad year. The only thing that is necessarily bad is his completion percentage, but all young QB's have low completion percentages. His YPA could use improvement, but just like completion percentage that will improve with time too. And on top of all of that he lead his team to an NFC East division title with an 11-5 record. Obviously he played piss poor in the playoffs though which is a separate issue entirely, it was his first playoff game and he is still real young.

Much of Eli's success also has to be attributed to his supporting cast, he really does have a good set of players around him. He has Plaxico, Toomer, Shockey and Barber. His line isn't too bad either, though they do create a lot of penalties as far as false starts go and whatnot. But it's not as if they are a bad pass protecting line definitely better than ours last year. Kareem was surely a good pick up for them last year.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JuliusCaesar said:
Don't get me wrong, I really do hate Eli Manning, but lets be honest here. The guy had a good year last year in just his second year, and his first full year as a starter. 3700yds 24tds 17ints is not a bad year. The only thing that is necessarily bad is his completion percentage, but all young QB's have low completion percentages. His YPA could use improvement, but just like completion percentage that will improve with time too. And on top of all of that he lead his team to an NFC East division title with an 11-5 record. Obviously he played piss poor in the playoffs though which is a separate issue entirely, it was his first playoff game and he is still real young.

Much of Eli's success also has to be attributed to his supporting cast, he really does have a good set of players around him. He has Plaxico, Toomer, Shockey and Barber. His line isn't too bad either, though they do create a lot of penalties as far as false starts go and whatnot. But it's not as if they are a bad pass protecting line definitely better than ours last year. Kareem was surely a good pick up for them last year.
He played piss poor in the playoffs. He single handedly lost several games for them (remember the Vikings game? Wow.). You can't simply say, oh he had a good/decent year but his completion percentage wasn't too good. Haha. Look at the QB rating. 23rd! 23rd in the league. Just barely ahead of Joey Harington who lost his job. The difference between Joey Harrington and Eli Manning, is that Manning has a much better team around him. Both, however, are busts.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Eli Manning is nothing but a "little momma's boy"! The draft fiasco changed my whole thinking about the Manning family! From daddy all the way down to the cat!

:star:

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Eli Manning is nothing but a "little momma's boy"! The draft fiasco changed my whole thinking about the Manning family! From daddy all the way down to the cat!

:star:
Where's Heavy Hitta and his Eli blowup doll?

ghst187

Reaction score
few can say they despise the (wo) mannings more than I...
but I will say that Eli was thrown to the wolves in year 1 (probably hurt more than helped) and last year was only year 2. I think he was a little overrated coming out also but I'm not going to say "bust" until year 4 or 5 when he's still throwing ducks, INTs, and looking like a deer in headlights. I'm not convinced he's going to suck forever. I'm just hoping that guys like Barber, Toomer, and Strahan are too old to play championship football (can't be too far off can it?) by the time Eli comes around.
Although I do take solace in the fact that the (wo) Mannings will always be choke artists.
I think it will be interesting to see how Rivers does this year. Rivers was the guy I wanted that year over Eli. Should finally get to see who's better this year as both are on solid teams.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
lol, i didnt know throwing ducks, and throwing the ball 5 feet in front of the WR in the ground, was considered "good" mechanics,

The truth will be told this season. He has 3 tough defense he has to go against 6 times, i think the truth wil come out

*cough cough* 4 INT vs minn

Givincer

Reaction score
theogt said:
He played piss poor in the playoffs. He single handedly lost several games for them (remember the Vikings game? Wow.). You can't simply say, oh he had a good/decent year but his completion percentage wasn't too good. Haha. Look at the QB rating. 23rd! 23rd in the league. Just barely ahead of Joey Harington who lost his job. The difference between Joey Harrington and Eli Manning, is that Manning has a much better team around him. Both, however, are busts.

First of all, why can't I say that he had a good year while having a low completion percentage, both parts of the statement are true...

Secondly, you look like a complete fool calling Manning a bust after the year he had last year and especially since he's only played 1.5 years as a starter in this league.

And since when is QB rating the be all end all when it comes to ranking QBs. As I said his completion percentage will improve with time. It obviously hindered his QB rating to have such a low completion percentage, but having a low completion percentage is better than trying to force throws, he threw many balls away last year. Manning did not have a bad year last year and he is definitely not a bust, atleast not yet, in my eyes he won't ever be either.

By your flawed logic you'd have labeled Peyton Manning a bust in 1998. His first full year as a starter.

Peyton Manning
| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD | QB Rt.
+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
| 1998 ind | 16 | 326 575 56.7 3739 6.5 26 28 | 15 62 0 | 71.2

Eli Manning
| 2005 nyg | 16 | 294 557 52.8 3762 6.8 24 17 | 29 80 1 | 75.9

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JuliusCaesar said:
First of all, why can't I say that he had a good year while having a low completion percentage, both parts of the statement are true...

Secondly, you look like a complete fool calling Manning a bust after the year he had last year and especially since he's only played 1.5 years as a starter in this league.

And since when is QB rating the be all end all when it comes to ranking QBs. As I said his completion percentage will improve with time. It obviously hindered his QB rating to have such a low completion percentage, but having a low completion percentage is better than trying to force throws, he threw many balls away last year. Manning did not have a bad year last year and he is definitely not a bust, atleast not yet, in my eyes he won't ever be either.

By your flawed logic you'd have labeled Peyton Manning a bust in 1998. His first full year as a starter.

Peyton Manning
| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD | QB Rt.
+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
| 1998 ind | 16 | 326 575 56.7 3739 6.5 26 28 | 15 62 0 | 71.2

Eli Manning
| 2005 nyg | 16 | 294 557 52.8 3762 6.8 24 17 | 29 80 1 | 75.9
He had a low completion rating because he's inaccurate, not because he threw a lot of balls away. And as per my logic, no I would not have labeled Peyton a bust in his rookie season. Eli was playing his second season with a MUCH MUCH MUCH better team yet put up comparable numbers to his brother in his 1st year in the league.

Eli isn't a bust yet, but the writing is on the wall. You'd like to see improvement or at least some upward trend and there hasn't been any at all. Maybe he'll make a big leap in the offseason, but he was playing just as ****ty at the end of last season as he was the first day he stepped on the field.