Giants "missing" Burress already LOL...

newlander

Reaction score
:) What a joke...if they only had about 8 guys out like we do:rolleyes:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Let's get right to it, what the loss of receiver Plaxico Burress meant in the Eagles-Giants matchup on Sunday from an Eagle defender old, an Eagle defender new.
From 13-year safety Brian Dawkins.
From rookie safety Quintin Demps.
Dawkins: "Listen, I don't mean to take anything away from the rest of their guys or that receiving group, but not having Plaxico out there meant we could funnel our defense in different ways and force the ball more to where we wanted it to go. We were able to take our chances in man coverage on the outside and get nasty with pressure on the inside. You can do everything right with Plaxico and he is 6-5. He can make up for any advantage you create by simply mauling and out-jumping you. He makes you back up and back off. Did it make a difference? Absolutely."
Demps: "We looked at the film from the last time we played them and felt our defense played a little too soft. We were going to be more aggressive this time with or without Plaxico in the game. With him out, it was easier to be aggressive. We loaded up the box and shut down their running game. We won in third-down defense. We tackled well, which is critical when you play the Giants. We have been searching for ourselves. I think we've found our way now."
e_manning_081207_IL.jpg
Al Bello / Getty ImagesWithout Plaxico Burress, Eli Manning had a rough outing on Sunday, completing less than 50 percent of his passes, none longer than 19 yards.Giants without Plaxico Burress this seasonWkResultTop receiverRec.-yards5Giants 44, Seahawks 6Domenik Hixon4-10212Giants 37, Cardinals 29Domenik Hixon6-5713Giants 23, Commanders 3Amani Toomer5-8514Eagles 20, Giants 14Steve Smith4-47

So, the Giants will swear that the loss of Burress should not be overblown, but the Eagles were chatting something quite different after Eagles 20, Giants 14 on Sunday at Giants Stadium.
And the Eagles should know. They allowed 36 points to Burress and the Giants in a Week 10 loss at Philadelphia. But their defense did not allow a single Giants point until 16 seconds remained in this game. The Eagles limited the Giants to 3-of-11 (27 percent) on third downs and stuffed the Giants on each of their three fourth-down attempts. They held the Giants to 88 yards rushing. To no completion of 20 or more yards.
Think about that.
Eli Manning threw 27 passes and did not complete one for more than 19 yards.
Sure, Domenik Hixon started in place of Burress and dropped an early, long bomb that might have changed things for the Eagles, for the Giants. But the Giants had plenty more chances.
Nothing clicked.
Burress, suspended for the season after being saddled with gun charges from a nightclub incident where he accidently shot himself in the thigh, probably watched this game and grimaced. He was missed. And linebacker Antonio Pierce, who was involved in the Burress incident, started and played an anxious game. Too anxious. Twice the Eagles took advantage of his too-eager pursuit on cutback efforts for touchdowns, both by running back Brian Westbrook. Those scores -- a 30-yard run, a 40-yard catch -- were the icing for Philadelphia. The center of it all was 41 runs called by the Eagles that led to 144 rushing yards and a dominating advantage in possession time (34:54 to 25:06).
"A great game plan and great execution of it," said Giants linebacker Justin Tuck, who blocked a field goal attempt and saw teammate Kevin Dockery return it 71 yards for a score to end the first half.
Though the Eagles had dominated, they led only 10-7 at halftime.
"In that third quarter," added Tuck, "we didn't do enough to get off the field. We didn't play our style on defense or on offense. A lot of people will point to the Plaxico incident, his loss and the distractions of it all last week. That's fair. We lost."
It was the Giants' first home loss. Their first divisional loss in nearly a year. Their first loss to the Eagles in the last four matchups. Yet, they clinched the NFC East when Dallas lost at Pittsburgh.
The Giants employed plenty of two tight-end formations. Amani Toomer (two catches) was hardly used. Receiver Steve Smith had a couple of crucial drops. No Giants receiver caught more than four passes. With no deep threat established by the Giants, they had to do everything the long way, the hard way on offense.
And the Eagles defense loves that.
"Whenever we can make you one-dimensional, when we can stop your run game and force you to pass, that's tough to do against our defense when we know it's coming," Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel said. "Of course that's not the same offense without Plaxico. And we were ready and confident we could handle well with what they have left."

Thursday, Dec. 4
» San Diego 34, Oakland 7
Sunday, Dec. 7
» Chicago 23, Jacksonville 10
» Houston 24, Green Bay 21
» Minnesota 20, Detroit 16
» Indianapolis 35, Cincinnati 3
» Tennessee 28, Cleveland 9
» Philadelphia 20, N.Y. Giants 14
» New Orleans 29, Atlanta 25
» Miami 16, Buffalo 3
» New England 24, Seattle 21
» Denver 24, Kansas City 17
» San Francisco 24, N.Y. Jets 14
» Arizona 34, St. Louis 10
» Pittsburgh 20, Dallas 13
» Washington at Baltimore, 8:15 p.m. ET (NBC)
Monday, Dec. 8
» Tampa Bay at Carolina, 8:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)

That is the concern for the Giants.
As they go off to Dallas next, return home to play Carolina and finish the regular season at Minnesota, they face three playoff-caliber teams that will employ the same defensive tactics.
The challenge for the Giants in those three games is to develop a deep passing threat, whether it's Hixon or Sinorice Moss or Toomer or whoever. This Giants offense has been built with the fear on the outside of the home-run ball and how that backs off defenders and opens running and passing lanes for all. The offense has to find a way to recreate that or reinvent itself.
And 13 games in, that is mighty hard to do.
The Eagles' offensive linemen won their blocking battles and the Eagles' defensive linemen won their matchups, and overall for Philadelphia it was a satisfying day against a team, a franchise, that was fresh from a week of turmoil. Those 21-mph winds howling through the stadium made things plenty difficult for the Giants offense.
But the Eagles and quarterback Donovon McNabb looked comfortable and at home.
And alive (7-5-1) with games left at home against Cleveland, at Washington and at home against Dallas. After losses to each team in the division, this was the Eagles' first NFC East victory.
"I thought both lines, offensive and defense, just played their hearts out," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "The guys worked hard, pushed through the ups and downs, and we're getting healthier. All those things are important. You're going to have some highs and lows, and you can talk about them, but you've got to go out there and execute the way they're executing. I'm proud of them."

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think the Eagles proved today just how valuable he really was to their offensive attack. Even when he wasn't catching lots of balls just being out there he demanded a lot of attention that can now be spend on flooding the box against the run. It will be interesting to see how Dallas plays them this week.

Boysboy

Reaction score
With all the flack TO gets here for being a headcase, I think we should all but understand that he IS the engine that makes our O go. Without him, Witten gets double-teamed, and the opposing D gets to play more aggressively.

Pt being that just like the case with Plaxico, you have to take the good with the bad. Some guys are headcases, fine-but you can't underestimate their talents nonetheless.

newlander

Reaction score
NO doubt he's very valuable guys: but he's the only guy they had out today. Jacobs got hurt too, but my God he's so overrated: Ward is more effective anyway. All BJ does is run his mouth.....We can beat anyone if we could just get healthy, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen......

Boysboy

Reaction score
newlander;2471918 said:
NO doubt he's very valuable guys: but he's the only guy they had out today. Jacobs got hurt too, but my God he's so overrated: Ward is more effective anyway. All BJ does is run his mouth.....We can beat anyone if we could just get healthy, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen......

Remember last year when we played the Eagles at home coming off a 7 game win steak. Yeah, we only lost by 4 pts, but the score wasn't as close as it looked. They just kicked our tails on both sides of the ball-thanks to the lucky bounce(i.e. Romo's fumbles), it could have been very ugly. And to boot-we ended up getting some guys hurt.

When I saw the Giants today, they looked exactly just that-emotionally whiffed after coming off a 7 game win streak.

As much as I hate to say it, the Giants will be coming to TX Stadium next week very mad.

Tom [Giants fan]

Reaction score
newlander;2471918 said:

Jacobs is not overrated.

As far as Burress. The WR's had a lot of drops today. I think the weather effected the Giants much more than the Eagles. Having a home playoff game may not be a good thing. But we will see what happens in the nicer weather in Texas next week. I think the offense will be fine.

newlander

Reaction score
No doubt boysboy. And remember, they play very well on the road. We don't win, especially if Procter is in at guard. If I was Romo, I'd take out extra life insurance with that turnstyle in there.

And cue the troll: Tom the Gspot fan...no one cares about your team here Tom. We have our own problems. And "BJ" is grossly overrated. He's nothing without the best OLINE in football in front of him They even make Ward and Bradshaw look good.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Tom [Giants fan];2471988 said:
Jacobs is not overrated.

As far as Burress. The WR's had a lot of drops today. I think the weather effected the Giants much more than the Eagles. Having a home playoff game may not be a good thing. But we will see what happens in the nicer weather in Texas next week. I think the offense will be fine.

Was just on BBI and made a couple of posts-like I was saying there and here, this game was prolly an anomaly for the Giants. Long winning streaks can really make a team play sloppy for a game, ironically.

As for the Eagles-when Reid's and McNabb's ***** are on the line, they'll mysteriously pull the performances of their lives and give false hope to the Philly media and fans. But they're in the same situation with us-the margins for error are VERY thin. When all is said and done, neither of us will make the playoffs, and assuming Carolina finishes with a very good record, their 2 #1 picks will be low.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2471973 said:
Remember last year when we played the Eagles at home coming off a 7 game win steak. Yeah, we only lost by 4 pts, but the score wasn't as close as it looked. They just kicked our tails on both sides of the ball-thanks to the lucky bounce(i.e. Romo's fumbles), it could have been very ugly. And to boot-we ended up getting some guys hurt.

When I saw the Giants today, they looked exactly just that-emotionally whiffed after coming off a 7 game win streak.

As much as I hate to say it, the Giants will be coming to TX Stadium next week very mad.
And you think the Cowboys won't be even more mad. They lost a heartbreaking game and are coming home to face a team they hate, that put them out of the playoffs and beat them like a rented mule this year.

Boysboy

Reaction score
bootsy;2472242 said:
And you think the Cowboys won't be even more mad. They lost a heartbreaking game and are coming home to face a team they hate, that put them out of the playoffs and beat them like a rented mule this year.

It was HOW we lost it. Quite frankly, I don't think the communication b/w Wade and the coaching staff isn't all that good. If a good coach is here, they would have sat down with Garrett many moons ago to polish up the offensive playbook alot more.

It just seems to me that Garrett doesn't show much respect for Wade(you saw that demeanor on "Hard Knocks"), and Wade just leaves him alone and lets him do whatever he wants.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
Mr. Jones should invest in some tudoring to Mr . Aikman on ball control 101. With a ball control discipline Romo could be the 2nd best Cowboys QB of all-time.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
newlander;2471918 said:

Sorry... as BJ goes so do the Giants.

The guy brings it.