Giants receiver Smith robbed at gunpoint outside home

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Updated: December 2, 2008, 12:38 PM ET

New York Giants second-year receiver Steve Smith was robbed at gunpoint in the early hours of Nov. 25 after arriving home, according to Clifton, N.J., police.

Smith had just returned to his townhouse in a chauffer-driven car when he was approached from behind by man who held a gun to Smith's head, Clifton police Capt. Robert Rowan said.

"He said to him, 'Give me everything you got,' and Mr. Smith turned over his jewelry and money and cell phone," Rowan said Tuesday.

The man left the scene and is still being sought, Rowan said. It was unclear if Smith's driver was at the townhouse during the hold-up.

The robbery was first reported Sunday by NBC's Tiki Barber, a former Giants running back.

NFL security has been informed of the incident, league spokesman Greg Aiello said, according to Newsday. "We're aware of the situation," he said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Some strange things happening w/ the Giants. This has been an unbelievable week for them w/ all of the problems.

CHAMPIONSHIP

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed, but I was listening to Michael Irvin's show yesterday, his co-host Kevin Kiley stated that Plexico Burress had been robbed and further speculated that this is why he may have had a gun.

Regardless, if you break the law, you must suffer the consequences when caught.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2457458 said:
Not if this has been discussed, but I was listening to Michael Irvin's show yesterday, his co-host Kevin Kiley stated that Plexico Burress had been robbed and further speculated that this is why he may have had a gun.

Regardless, if you break the law, you must suffer the consequences when caught.

Yeah carry a gun....illegally is the answer....when you have the money to hire body guards I see......

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I understand why they want to carry guns but I don't think that's a great idea. Couldn't fault Smith anymore though.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Move to a place that has security. You make an NFL salary. It's not like you're flipping burgers at McDonalds or getting run over by shoppers at Walmart.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone would even joke that it was Plaxico. This guy was on time for the robbery ;) If it were Plax, Steve would still be sitting waiting to get robbed.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2457496 said:
I don't see how anyone would even joke that it was Plaxico. This guy was on time for the robbery ;) If it were Plax, Steve would still be sitting waiting to get robbed.

He would have to wait twice as long because of Plax's sore hammy. :laugh2:

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I think Plaxico's house was robbed a few years ago. Not sure if it was when he was with Pitt, but I believe so.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2457957 said:
I think Plaxico's house was robbed a few years ago. Not sure if it was when he was with Pitt, but I believe so.

Not sure it was that long ago. I think if Plax doesn't get someone to protect him from the politicians looking to score off this then he is going to go to prison for a couple of years (I think it's 2/3 of sentence now then supervised probation).

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2457458 said:
Not sure if this has been discussed, but I was listening to Michael Irvin's show yesterday, his co-host Kevin Kiley stated that Plexico Burress had been robbed and further speculated that this is why he may have had a gun.

OK fine with carrying a gun, I absolutely approve of people having guns, especially if they have had something like that happen.

However why would you be brandishing it in a club? why would a teammate need to be helping him cover the whole thing up?

I hope they throw the freaking book at him.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Trust me, in terms of player availability, the Giants are much more worried about Pierce at this point.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jobberone;2457969 said:
Not sure it was that long ago. I think if Plax doesn't get someone to protect him from the politicians looking to score off this then he is going to go to prison for a couple of years (I think it's 2/3 of sentence now then supervised probation).

How bout the guy not be so damn stupid to do what he did, then he wouldnt have to worry about somebody making an example out of him.

Your statement above makes it sound like Burress is a "victim" and that is clearly not the case.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dbair1967;2457995 said:
How bout the guy not be so damn stupid to do what he did, then he wouldnt have to worry about somebody making an example out of him.

Your statement above makes it sound like Burress is a "victim" and that is clearly not the case.

My statement does not make it sound as if he's a victim. You're choosing to read it that way. He's not a victim. He's stupid. But he had better get smart real quick and try to get a deal done or he is going to prison. Is that simple enough for you?

Temo

Reaction score
jobberone;2457996 said:
My statement does not make it sound as if he's a victim. You're choosing to read it that way. He's not a victim. He's stupid. But he had better get smart real quick and try to get a deal done or he is going to prison. Is that simple enough for you?

You still make it sound like the politicians are somehow involved in this, and they are not. We have very tough gun laws here in NYC, and that's how most of the people here want it.

A college acquaintance of mine recently got sentenced to 10 years in prison for buying someone else a gun who wasn't allowed to have one. The idea that Plax goes away for 2 years is not a big stretch at all.