Giants receiver Smith robbed at gunpoint outside home

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Temo;2458011 said:
You still make it sound like the politicians are somehow involved in this, and they are not. We have very tough gun laws here in NYC, and that's how most of the people here want it.

A college acquaintance of mine recently got sentenced to 10 years in prison for buying someone else a gun who wasn't allowed to have one. The idea that Plax goes away for 2 years is not a big stretch at all.

You guys are not that naive. The mayor of NY is using this as I'm tough on crime. He's the one who marched the increased penalties and no exceptions thru. And lawyers become DAs and look for cases to make a name on. You don't want to be the case for them to make a name for themselves. This is what I'm talking about. And it's probably too late now anyway. But for him to have a shot at getting out of jail time someone is going to have to influence people for him.

Primetime42

Reaction score
This seems to happen a lot to NYG receivers.

Couple of years ago one of 'em got carjacked at the AMC I went to when I was in college.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
jobberone;2458030 said:
You guys are not that naive. The mayor of NY is using this as I'm tough on crime. He's the one who marched the increased penalties and no exceptions thru. And lawyers become DAs and look for cases to make a name on. You don't want to be the case for them to make a name for themselves. This is what I'm talking about. And it's probably too late now anyway. But for him to have a shot at getting out of jail time someone is going to have to influence people for him.

Agreed...it's becoming political since the idiot Mayor, who wants law-abiding citizens rights to bear arms gone and only criminals to have one, has gotten into the fray.

Idiots law says that the gun and ammo can't be together...."Wait criminal....hold on until I get my gun loaded and then we can do this..." yeah, ok.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jimz31;2458036 said:
Agreed...it's becoming political since the idiot Mayor, who wants law-abiding citizens rights to bear arms gone and only criminals to have one, has gotten into the fray.

Idiots law says that the gun and ammo can't be together...."Wait criminal....hold on until I get my gun loaded and then we can do this..." yeah, ok.

LOL. I can't imagine having an unloaded gun around unless your grandchildren are visiting. I guess you could hit them with it or throw it at them. Though if you were balsy enough you could hold them off with an unloaded gun. Very balsy. But we've been in the military and are used to weapons. Many aren't and only see the downside. So I understand.

I also can't imagine taking a gun loaded or not into a crowded room with some drunks in it.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Why do people assume I was condoning what Plexico Burress did?

I did two things:

1) I reported what Kevin Kiley stated on the Michael Irvin's show to give more information.

2) Clearly stated "if you break the law, you must suffer the consequences when caught"

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
dbair1967;2457989 said:
OK fine with carrying a gun, I absolutely approve of people having guns, especially if they have had something like that happen.

However why would you be brandishing it in a club? why would a teammate need to be helping him cover the whole thing up?

I hope they throw the freaking book at him.

Michael Irvin stated that if you are a first time defender, you normally plea down and don't serve any jail time.

Not sure how accurate that is though.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The law states a mandatory sentence for it; jail time. His only chance is to let this die down and get some intervention. If it continues to snowball then he's toast. Personally I think this is already been decided but given time it could change.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
jobberone;2458246 said:
The law states a mandatory sentence for it; jail time. His only chance is to let this die down and get some intervention. If it continues to snowball then he's toast. Personally I think this is already been decided but given time it could change.

Im no lawyer but I wonder if every citizen of New York that was caught with a handgun went to prison?

Personally, I think the more serious problem is what if he shoots someone else, as opposed to himself.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2458248 said:
Im no lawyer but I wonder if every citizen of New York that was caught with a handgun went to prison?

Personally, I think the more serious problem is what if he shoots someone else, as opposed to himself.

You don't understand. Their is a law in the city of NY. If you are caught with a loaded and unlawful weapon then you are going to be charged with a crime that carries an automatic mandatory 3.5 yr jail term.

His only hope is for the charges to be reduced to a lesser charge. And for that he is going to need people to intercede in his behalf. Just because the Mayor said no exceptions doesn't mean the same thing tomorrow or a year for now. But I think he's toast. They're going to do to him what they did to Vick.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
That's why I stated does everyone caught with an illegal gun always 100% of the time go to jail in New York City.

To me, it would see the jails would get too full if that were the case.

dogberry

Reaction score
Does one need a license for a rifle or a shotgun in NY? Has NY heard of the 2nd Adm to the U.S. Constitution?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2458320 said:
That's why I stated does everyone caught with an illegal gun always 100% of the time go to jail in New York City.

To me, it would see the jails would get too full if that were the case.

The prison system is overcrowded already. But the judge can't do anything but impose the mandatory sentence if he's found guilty of the charges against him now. But they may decrease the charges. Doubt it though.

dogberry;2458338 said:
Does one need a license for a rifle or a shotgun in NY? Has NY heard of the 2nd Adm to the U.S. Constitution?

Owning a gun and carrying one around are two different things. I wouldn't want to go out much if everyone was packing.

sacase

Reaction score
dogberry;2458338 said:

You are required to have a permit to have a rifle or shorgun in NYC. Personally I think there needs to be a federal law that basically says, unless you are a ciminal or crazy you can have a gun and you can also apply for a conceal carry permit that is nation wide.

If I was plax and they were not going to reduce the charge I would argue a violation of my civil rights. But unless charges are reduced, he is screwed.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Too bad players have to be out carousing until the early morning hours during the middle of a week. This sounds like an inside job, with the chauffer tipping off his partner.

romoluv

Reaction score
Dallas;2457457 said:
Some strange things happening w/ the Giants. This has been an unbelievable week for them w/ all of the problems.

What's next after this....Sheli Manning is raped?