Gibbs looking for 1st round pick

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Commanders | No first-round pick in 2006 NFL Draft; but that could change
KFFL |Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:25:14 -0800

Michael C. Wright, of the Daily Press, reports the Washington Commanders don't have a first-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, but head coach Joe Gibbs said he spoke strategy with team owner Dan Snyder Monday, Jan. 16, and making a trade for a first-round pick is not out of the question.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Wonder if they're thinking about trading current players or future picks....

aikemirv

Reaction score
Let me guess - Lavar Arrington for a 1st round pick?

You know Gibbs would like to get rid of him but I don't really think they would get a 1st for him. No one else on their team that anybody would trade a first for IMO.

James and Alexander did not fetch a 1st so I don't see how Portis would.

How else would they get one?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Probably try something like they did last year. Trade a player and mid round choice and next years first to get a first this year

aikemirv

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Probably try something like they did last year. Trade a player and mid round choice and next years first to get a first this year

Continue mortgaging the future... they are good at that!

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
aikemirv said:

You know Gibbs would like to get rid of him but I don't really think they would get a 1st for him. No one else on their team that anybody would trade a first for IMO.

There's no way they're going to trade Portis.

To hear Commanders fans talk, they act like they can trade Ramsey and a 3rd and move up to a #1. That gives me an idea - what about Romo and a 3rd?

If anything they will package next year's number 1 in order to obtain one this year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
santana moss would get you a 1st....

they'd be silly to trade him tho.

neosapien23

Reaction score
They will probably give up their 2nd this year and a number 1 pick next year.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
If this is true, it shows you they are trying to win in the short run...

Ashwynn

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
They will probably give up their 2nd this year and a number 1 pick next year.
Man, when your robbing peter to pay paul, its time to just chilland pay the damn bill and start over from scratch.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
trickblue said:
If this is true, it shows you they are trying to win in the short run...

I dont know about that.

I just think the man doesn't have a 1st Round pick like most other teams and really would like to get their hands on one.

I am not going to read too much into it.

I would be discussing all options to get a 1st Round pick with my staff too.

- Mike G.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I dont know about that.

I just think the man doesn't have a 1st Round pick like most other teams and really would like to get their hands on one.

I am not going to read too much into it.

I would be discussing all options to get a 1st Round pick with my staff too.

- Mike G.

Well I understand that... but what I meant is that they are once again theoretically forsaking their future for the right now...

I'm not saying it is a bad thing...

The Commanders don't have a great history picking skill players in the top 10... my guess is that they see a DL or DB that they like...

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
I would have heart failure is we traded 1+2 next year for a 1st......I don't think that'll happen.......however I do see something like....

2006 2nd + 3rd+ Ramsey for a low first....figuring the WR class is weak we may just dip into the FA market for one and try to grab a decent DE in the 2nd......

We'll most likely stay put because it would hurt us in the future......

LaVar can't leave btw it will cost more than keeping him.....unless a team WANTS to take the hit....lmao

neosapien23

Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
I would have heart failure is we traded 1+2 next year for a 1st......I don't think that'll happen.......however I do see something like....

2006 2nd + 3rd+ Ramsey for a low first....figuring the WR class is weak we may just dip into the FA market for one and try to grab a decent DE in the 2nd......

We'll most likely stay put because it would hurt us in the future......

LaVar can't leave btw it will cost more than keeping him.....unless a team WANTS to take the hit....lmao

I thought Lavar had already talked about restructuring his contract. Was that just a rumor?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
aikemirv said:

I'd trade a first rounder for Samuels, Moss, Portis, or Washington...but I'm sure they aren't thinking of getting rid of any of those guys.

Derinyar

Reaction score
If the skins had an early 2nd then a 2nd and their first next year could probably get it done. Right now they have a late 2nd, so they would probably need to add more to sweeten the deal.

Ramsey, 2006 2nd and 2007 1st probably would do it for most teams. I don't think they would do that how ever.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
I would have heart failure is we traded 1+2 next year for a 1st......I don't think that'll happen.

Were you around when Beathard was your GM? That guy would make all kinds of weird trades. In the mid to late 80's it seemed like the Commanders never had a #1 pick. I recall once he traded a the following year's #1 pick for a current 2nd round pick - but that was after he went to San Diego.

I think LaVar will be back too. I heard the other day that he actually said he would like to return and they'd like to have him. I don't believe any of the talk he'll be released.