Gibbs May Extend Contract

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gibbs could stay beyond deal

By David Elfin
December 18, 2007

Michael Connor / The Washington Times Commanders coach Joe Gibbs signed a five-year, $25 million contract when he returned to coaching in January 2004.

Joe Gibbs is open to the idea of remaining as coach of the Washington Commanders beyond the end of his contract next year.

Last night, Gibbs didn't want to address a rumor that Commanders owner Dan Snyder had offered him a two-year extension.

"I don't want to dredge up a bunch of stuff, hear people talking about, 'Hey, Joe wants to talk to Dan about a contract,' " Gibbs said. "We'll talk at some point. That stuff takes place in the offseason. My focus now is on [Sunday's game at] Minnesota. That's where I'm going to leave it."

<LI type=square>Commanders 360: What Gibbs' return means

Snyder could not be reached for comment.

Gibbs, 140-65 during his initial Hall of Fame tenure with the Commanders, is 30-34 during his current four-year stint.

But after winning their past two games, the Commanders (7-7) are still in the thick of the NFC wild card race. If they somehow rallied to reach postseason, it would mark their second berth in three seasons after qualifying just once during his 11-year absence.

Speculation has focused on whether safety Sean Taylor's murder and a series of agonizing losses would prompt the 67-year-old to retire after this season, but the coach didn't want to address that either.

"I'll stick by my statements," said Gibbs, who always has maintained he intended to fulfill the five-year, $25 million contract he signed in January 2004.

One reason for the talk about an extension was to assure the players that their coach wouldn't be a lame duck in 2008, but Gibbs said that shouldn't be a factor either.

"I think the players kinda know," Gibbs said. "They know me, what I'm all about. I don't think they're worried about that. They're worried about the playoffs. They're not worried about me."

Big Dakota

Reaction score
:shoot5:

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Yes! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

pizzaparty_logo.gif
pizzaparty_logo.gif

pizzaparty_logo.gif
pizzaparty_logo.gif

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
This is great. First ;) someone said McNabb will be here in 2008, now gibbs!!!

:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
I don't get it, the skins never sniffed the playoffs til Gibbs came back and now you guys want him to stay.

Sorry but I want him gone.:bang2:

My fear is that he will do for the skins what Tuna did for us, set them up to win for a long time then retire and watch another coach reap the benefits of his hard work. :eek:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
lcharles;1843369 said:
I don't get it, the skins never sniffed the playoffs til Gibbs came back and now you guys want him to stay.

Sorry but I want him gone.:bang2:

My fear is that he will do for the skins what Tuna did for us, set them up to win for a long time then retire and watch another coach reap the benefits of his hard work. :eek:

Since 1992 the Commanders have only made the playoffs twice, 1999 and 2005. They won't be there this year either. I'm not worried and am glad he is staying.