Gibbs pre game interview.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Not sure if this was discussed yesterday, my internet was down...But did anyone catch the Gibbs interveiw yesterday ?

He told how he was totally taken off gaurd last year with the changes in the NFL while he was gone. He said in his day most NFL defenses were read and react, now they are attack.

He had to adjust his style and team this year.

Talked about many things...Using the shotgun for the 1st time in his career, changing his running style to fit the personel he had, adjusting to attack mode defenses...etc.... I didn't watch the whole thing but I have to admit I was impressed by a man who admitted he made mistakes there last year and adjusted this year to correct them.

BP owned Gibbs in the 80's...Gibbs has adjusted for the next century, BP hasn't. Now Gibbs has a 3-1 advantage over BP in this century.

BP has rebuilt our defense and done a good job, but if he doesn't "adjust" the offense next year, not just personel, but schemes...We will see a simular result next year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If by adjusting the offense you mean get in a few more OL I'd agree.

The offense in scheme is fine though can always be better.
What Gibbs got this year that BP didn't was health along the OL.
That makes the scheme look a whole lot better.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
jterrell said:
If by adjusting the offense you mean get in a few more OL I'd agree.

The offense in scheme is fine though can always be better.
What Gibbs got this year that BP didn't was health along the OL.
That makes the scheme look a whole lot better.

Personel does have something to do with it, but adjustments aren't one of BP strong points. Not saying he deosn't do them either, but it just seems that when he does...and it even works...Next week he's back to his same old predictable self.

Just 2 examples.

1) 1st Philly game, come out throwing on 1st down more caught Philly off guard. We got out to a big lead quickly and then let the defense pour it on. Great gameplan I thought and I was totally excited for the rest of the year.

Then next week, back to run, run, pass.

2) Panthers game. Finally we saw the shotgun, which the players have been asking for, BP isn't the biggest fan of it. Also during the game Troy was talking about the moving pocket along with the shotgun to help buy Drew more time, needed because of the O-line breakdowns. End result was a good offensive showing.

Radical thought, but when we had the O-line breakdown this year, maybe we at least look at putting in a more mobile QB ? Back in 2003 BP said he used QC over Hutch because the O-line could not protect and he wanted a more mobile QB. QC made some big plays after avoiding a rush...Was he an all star QB ? no...But that was his reasoning...

But when we had O-line problems this year did he put in Romo ? Who BP even said had a nack for avoiding the rush. No...

He went on to say this was not Bledsoes fault the line sucked...Many here have said that. I think Bledsoe can carve up a "D" with great protection. We didn't have great protection, yet BP would not "adjust" at the QB spot at all...Now way, no how.

In Washington, Ramsey has a better arm, Brunell was better in the pocket avioding the rush. Gibbs yanked his starter Ramsey for Brunell, Skins fans went crazy calling for Gibbs head.

Our best year since BP has been here was with a mobile QB who can aviod the rush.

I sure hope next year the QB position is a fair fight for the starting position based on team needs, not just who BP trusts. If BP is our HC next year, I won't count on it.

I think we'll see in pre-season again where Henson is kneeling on the ball with a minute left and a chance to run the 2 minute drill on our own 30...Next game Bledsoe will be airing it out in the same situation...

We saw it this year.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I think good coaches surround themselves with good O and D Coord's.

I hear you guys complain about this coach and that coach.

If Parcell's comes back, does he bring in somebody with fresh idea's?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Wheat said:

I hope so Henry.

Who might you guys be looking at to replcae greg Willaims...Or do you think he'll be back next year ?

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
If Williams leaves, his Asst. Greg Blache would take the job and hopefully keep things the same.

I pray that Snyder overpays to keep Williams with the Skins.

Ken

Reaction score
Jarv said:
Not sure if this was discussed yesterday, my internet was down...But did anyone catch the Gibbs interveiw yesterday ?

He told how he was totally taken off gaurd last year with the changes in the NFL while he was gone. He said in his day most NFL defenses were read and react, now they are attack.

He had to adjust his style and team this year.

Talked about many things...Using the shotgun for the 1st time in his career, changing his running style to fit the personel he had, adjusting to attack mode defenses...etc.... I didn't watch the whole thing but I have to admit I was impressed by a man who admitted he made mistakes there last year and adjusted this year to correct them.

BP owned Gibbs in the 80's...Gibbs has adjusted for the next century, BP hasn't. Now Gibbs has a 3-1 advantage over BP in this century.

BP has rebuilt our defense and done a good job, but if he doesn't "adjust" the offense next year, not just personel, but schemes...We will see a simular result next year.

Did parcells not go 10-6 in his first year? Did Parcells not sweep Gibbs last year?

Series in this decade is 2-2.

While I wanted 10-6 very badly, 9-7 isn't horrible considering our schedule this season.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Ken said:
Did parcells not go 10-6 in his first year? Did Parcells not sweep Gibbs last year?

Series in this decade is 2-2.

While I wanted 10-6 very badly, 9-7 isn't horrible considering our schedule this season.

My bad, your right on 2-2 vs 3-1.

The point I was actually trying to make was that it seemed from the interveiw that Gibbs was willing to adjust to the "new game" of 2000-2005 from his old 80's and 90's style.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I think his framework is outta whack....It's pure specualtion based on observation but it seems to me that Parcells devalues the importance of having playmakers on offense because they sometimes make negative yardage plays.

For instance, if given the choice of a player who will occasionally create those dreaded negative yardage plays but also bust some big plays vs a guy who plods and gets consistent small yardage, it seems to me Parcells will take the latter guy. AND he will also coach guys in that direction, see Julius Jones as an example. He has this major issue with "negative" yardage plays.

But the problem is by going to such extremes to avoid negative yards, he makes it easy for the defense by allowing them to not respect the entire field.

I keep going back to my Joe Namath story. Super Bowl III. He said the most important play was a bomb he threw to a gimpy Don Maynard. It didn't matter that the pass fell incomplete. It DID matter that it got into the heads of the Colts who went into deep zones for the rest of the game...allowing Namath to call plays at the LOS and pick them apart underneath the coverage.

Alot of people pick on the play calling with our team. I'm not in love with it....BUT...I see it as a bigger problem...I see the philosophy that to an extreme, tries to avoid negative plays, as creating negative plays because the defense can focus on a smaller part of the field.

I keep thinking back to Dedric Ward as the prime example of what I don't like about Parcells thinking...quintessential Parcells guy on punt returns. ZERO playmaking ability but sure hands.

How many NFL coaches would not allow TNew to return punts? The guy is electric back there. Blah blah blah, what if he gets hurt? Football players play football. Let 'em play. And as an aside, for whatever reason, you'll rarely see a guy get hurt on punt returns. Sanders did it for years. If he did it, so can TNew. BUT Parcells opts for sure hands of Crayton instead UNLESS we need a big return, then he puts TNew back there. Well, a big return in the first period is just as important.

Whatever....I'm just digusted with the stubborness of Mr Parcells.

Ken

Reaction score
Jarv said:
My bad, your right on 2-2 vs 3-1.

The point I was actually trying to make was that it seemed from the interveiw that Gibbs was willing to adjust to the "new game" of 2000-2005 from his old 80's and 90's style.
Gibbs had to change because the counter trey doesn't work against the defenses of today.

Parcells's philosophy of running the ball and playing good defense absolutely still works. He needs to adjust by putting a good oline in place and a good kicker.

Most of our problems would be solved with those two additions.

Throw in a wr who can stretch the field and we are in business.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Wheat said:

No, he's going to hire those guys from the gay bar in your sig pic to be the coordinators. :lmao2: