Gibbs SaysRedskins Hampered in Signing Free Agents

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Gibbs Says Commanders Hampered in Signing Free Agents

Washington Commanders Coach Joe Gibbs discussed a wide range of topics concerning his team last night during a one-hour radio show on WJFK-FM, mainly by taking questions from callers.

Among the highlights: The Commanders have been hampered in signing their own free agents because players are reluctant to finalize deals before free agency starts March 2. Gibbs added that, although the wide receiving corps will undergo changes -- including the departure of Rod Gardner -- the Commanders are unlikely to land any elite free agents at the position because of salary demands.

GIBBS

• Joe Gibbs finds the free-agent market tough territory.
• The Commanders re-sign reserve middle linebacker Clifton Smith to a two-year contract.
• Commanders offer a new way for fans to score premium seats: a $7,500 Touchdown Club.
• The team has not determined whether it will designate any of its free agents as franchise players
• The team has been encouraged by the progress of linebacker LaVar Arrington in the last week.

Nonetheless, the Commanders will focus on acquiring players through free agency because of the uncertainty of the draft, to be held in late April.

"We would like to solve everything that we could on our football team in free agency," said Gibbs, whose club picks ninth in the first round. "That way you go into the draft and you're freewheeling."

The Commanders have not signed any of their impending free agents -- there are 20 -- or reached agreement on restructuring tackle Chris Samuels's contract.

"The problem with signing our guys right now, almost none of the agents want to sign right now," Gibbs said. "They are afraid now if they go out and do a deal, they are going to get criticized for it. It's driving me crazy."

One caller asked Gibbs about pursuing Carolina Panthers wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad or Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress. "The problem is he's 31 [32], and basically what his agent said is: 'Show me the money,' " Gibbs said of Muhammad. "With him and Plaxico, what you're talking about is big bucks."

When Gibbs was asked if he had any regrets from last season or things he would have done different, the coach mentioned the offense while laughing heartily: "Yes, yes and yes. There's a lot that I would have done differently."

-- Nunyo Demasio

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
Yeah.....I read this already on extreme.......Is Dallas having the same problem too? How many FA's do you guys have unsigned?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KINGBRICE_28 said:
Yeah.....I read this already on extreme.......Is Dallas having the same problem too? How many FA's do you guys have unsigned?

Not a big problem for us right now.

Then again we do not have too many big names to worry about :eek:

They have been trying to work out a deal with Leo Carson because they like his upside.

But if anything it seems they are mostly depth 2-3 string guys they are looking to resign...beyond that it is a matter of seeing if some guys will stay (ala Coakley) or let go to save money/be part of a new system.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
But if anything it seems they are mostly depth 2-3 string guys they are looking to resign...beyond that it is a matter of seeing if some guys will stay (ala Coakley) or let go to save money/be part of a new system.

At least Coakley has stated he realizes he has to take a pay cut to stay here... and he wants to stay here...