Gil Brandt on Matt Johnson

bleedin' blue

Reaction score
I know people don't seem too happy with the pick but
Gil Brandt was all over it yesterday saying that if he had played
last year that he would have likely been a very high draft pick....
Said he kind of fell of the radar because of an injury at the end
of the prior season...encouraging,just thought I'd share

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It's hard to argue with Gil..he's been right alot over the years

fifaguy

Reaction score
Didn't this guy have the most career interceptions of all the guys that went to the draft? And he was out almost a whole season after, game 2 of his senior year right?

Plankton

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4540256 said:
It's hard to argue with Gil..he's been right alot over the years

If you look at Gil Brandt's Cowboy drafts from 1978-1988, you could find a lot of question with his opinions on players. Once the draft moved first to May (1978), then to March (1979), then to April (1980), Gil's information network advantage with coaches dried up, and he was exposed quite a bit.

bleedin' blue

Reaction score
fifaguy;4540298 said:
Didn't this guy have the most career interceptions of all the guys that went to the draft? And he was out almost a whole season after, game 2 of his senior year right?
That's the one ;)

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Plankton;4540395 said:
If you look at Gil Brandt's Cowboy drafts from 1978-1988, you could find a lot of question with his opinions on players. Once the draft moved first to May (1978), then to March (1979), then to April (1980), Gil's information network advantage with coaches dried up, and he was exposed quite a bit.
Dude, he still knows more than you, me, and the rest of this board put together.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
Plankton;4540395 said:

Yeah, his last draft in 1988 only netted Irvin, Ken Norton and Chad Hennings...he also drafted Mark Higgs, Scott Secules and Dave Widell who all played in the NFL....and he didn't have a 5th round selection. Definitely exposed...:rolleyes:

Plankton

Reaction score
JakeCamp12;4540669 said:
Yeah, his last draft in 1988 only netted Irvin, Ken Norton and Chad Hennings...he also drafted Mark Higgs, Scott Secules and Dave Widell who all played in the NFL....and he didn't have a 5th round selection. Definitely exposed...:rolleyes:

You're absolutely right - it wasn't talent that led them to be 1-7 in the second half of 1986, 5-7 in non-scab games in 1987, and 3-13 in 1988. One draft in 11 years does not make up for the utter ineptitude shown by Brandt and company in the draft once the event moved from January to April.

Keep one other thing in mind - not one NFL team looked to hire him once he was fired by Dallas. What does that tell you?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Plankton;4540693 said:
You're absolutely right - it wasn't talent that led them to be 1-7 in the second half of 1986, 5-7 in non-scab games in 1987, and 3-13 in 1988. One draft in 11 years does not make up for the utter ineptitude shown by Brandt and company in the draft once the event moved from January to April.

Keep one other thing in mind - not one NFL team looked to hire him once he was fired by Dallas. What does that tell you?
That they thought he was getting old.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
speedkilz88;4540698 said:
That they thought he was getting old.

Agreed, and for all we know he might have had offers but declined.

I can't believe I have to even defend Gil Brandt's reputation.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bleedin' blue;4540234 said:
I know people don't seem too happy with the pick but
Gil Brandt was all over it yesterday saying that if he had played
last year that he would have likely been a very high draft pick....

That's impossible. He doesn't play OL.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I was looking for analysis from Gil at NFL.com, but it all seemed to be from Mayock. Where is Gil making his his draft reports from now?

rags747

Reaction score
Maybe this kid can be our next Harris, Waters or Billy Bates back there. Wouldn't that be grand.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Anyone questioning Gil Brandt as a top authority on draft prospects should listen to his radio show on satellite. They take tons of calls from listeners and gets put on the spot with no real prep time. He's very plugged-in, but its most amazing to hear him rattle off detailed, personal backstory about no-name college prospects from all over the country. He's a national treasure of the NFL and its fans.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Gil Brandt is Cowboys royalty and should be treated as such - show a little respect for our tradition. He is the last living of the 3 that built this franchise and should be revered from what he accomplished.

He is basicallly the guy who invented modern day scouting.

Plankton

Reaction score
Eskimo;4541204 said:
Gil Brandt is Cowboys royalty and should be treated as such - show a little respect for our tradition. He is the last living of the 3 that built this franchise and should be revered from what he accomplished.

He is basicallly the guy who invented modern day scouting.

Gil Brandt didn't invent modern day scouting any more than Paul Brown, George Allen or Bucko Kilroy did. Moving to a computer based model was actually Tex Schramm's idea (with the help of Salaam Querishi, a developer from IBM).

I didn't see any disrespect being displayed, other than to point out how poorly he drafted once the draft moved from the end of January to April. Brandt deserves a lot of credit for building the teams of the 60s and 70s, but his failings in the late 70s and 80s had a lot to do with the team bottoming out.

He is a vertitable encyclopedia of facts, personal information and statistics when it comes to players. When it comes to analysis of players strengths and weaknesses, he is not as strong as others.

Once again, this board never fails when it comes to a critique of anyone associated with the Cowboys. It's sad.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Plankton;4541236 said:
Gil Brandt didn't invent modern day scouting any more than Paul Brown, George Allen or Bucko Kilroy did. Moving to a computer based model was actually Tex Schramm's idea (with the help of Salaam Querishi, a developer from IBM).

I didn't see any disrespect being displayed, other than to point out how poorly he drafted once the draft moved from the end of January to April. Brandt deserves a lot of credit for building the teams of the 60s and 70s, but his failings in the late 70s and 80s had a lot to do with the team bottoming out.

He is a vertitable encyclopedia of facts, personal information and statistics when it comes to players. When it comes to analysis of players strengths and weaknesses, he is not as strong as others.

Once again, this board never fails when it comes to a critique of anyone associated with the Cowboys. It's sad.
You're sadder. :facepalm:

Plankton

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4541247 said:
You're sadder. :facepalm:

And why is that, because you don't agree?

I invite you to refute my statement with regards to the Cowboy drafts between 1978 and 1988. Tell me how they even remotely resemble doing a good job at running drafts. Also, show me how someone would be in error for pointing to the movement of the draft from January to April starting in 1978 as being coincident with the Cowboy drafts turning poor.

Just stating facts, without the name calling. Can you do the same?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Plankton;4541259 said:
And why is that, because you don't agree?

I invite you to refute my statement with regards to the Cowboy drafts between 1978 and 1988. Tell me how they even remotely resemble doing a good job at running drafts. Also, show me how someone would be in error for pointing to the movement of the draft from January to April starting in 1978 as being coincident with the Cowboy drafts turning poor.

Just stating facts, without the name calling. Can you do the same?
:facepalm: And the beat goes on.

Plankton

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4541306 said:
:facepalm: And the beat goes on.

Sure does. With you bringing nothing to the table in terms of facts to an argument.