Gil Brandt: You can have one QB (currently college or NFL), who you taking?

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson
Eh, out of that bunch Lamar might be the worst pure passer besides "Danny Dimes".
He'll either improve significantly as a passer (a la Wilson and Allen) or he'll fizzle out in a couple of years.
I know he won the MVP, but that was more about the splash (running) than substance (passing). Should have gone to Wilson, IMO.

garyo1954

Reaction score
What happens if you change the known commodity?

Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
Justin Fields
Justin Herbert
Lamar Jackson
Daniel Jones
Trevor Lawrence
Kyler Murray
Ben Roethlisberger
Tua Tagovailoa
Deshaun Watson

That's all this is. You're offered one known and a number of variables. Naturally you are going with the one you have the most information on regardless of any upside in the others. It's "Pick a card, any card, and I'll tell you what card you should have picked."

kskboys

Reaction score
Murray is only a half an inch shorter than Wilson and maybe an inch and a half shorter than Brees. As long as he keeps his 4.3 speed and keeps knowing when to slide he will be fine.. His arm strength is fine but there is no question that at his size he has to put more into it to get zip on the ball. Which makes it more difficult to always control it. But he's been small his whole life and has still managed to put the ball where it needs to be more often than he has missed throws. Overall I think dude will be just fine long term .. Maybe never "great" but very few guys ascend to the "great" level anyway.. The media likes to throw that label around because it sells paper and gets rating.. But in reality there is generally only about 5-6 truly great QBs in the game at any given time.
Yup. And I would say more like 2-3 great ones.

kskboys

Reaction score
I guess that depends on what you consider sure thing. He don't have any hardware to talk about but yes I will say Indy screwed the pooch with him. If he was here instead of Romo perhaps he'd have a different story to tell. Thats why its so important where you land and who your coach is and what your team make up is. Mahomes here wouldn't have had the success he did in KC. But the dude can ball. He may be who id take off that list over Dak for sure some other would be worthy discussion.
Rating QB's purely by hardware is lazy.

starfan1

Reaction score
Rating QB's purely by hardware is lazy.
Well to be sure people use different measuring sticks depending on the argument. I don’t have an issue with luck but he didn’t necessarily turn out the way Indy had hoed because of injuries

plasticman

Reaction score
It's really a trick question when you think about it.

Who else is on this team? What is the quality of the offensive line? Is there a running game to complement this QB's passing game?

Can this QB play his game thanks to a good defense or will he constantly be behind, throwing 30 passes in the 2nd half?

There are quarterbacks you want when the rest of the team is performing, not the most talented but the kind that doesn't make many mistakes. There is the type of quarterback that are high risk, high reward. They have the ability to score points with big plays but there is a higher risk of turnovers. There are seasoned veterans and exciting rookies.

If you are looking for a long term solution then you have to consider potential. If you have the rest of a great team and believe you can win now you may want someone who can be a great manager.

Dak is the choice, it would be a terrible waste to deprive the offense of vital cohesion, teamwork, familiarity and common experience.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did I see a list without Pat Mahomes? Gil it is really time to really retire.
You should probably think before you post next time.

Gil left Mahomes off intentionally because 95% of people would have picked Mahomes. Instead, Gil was asking who do you think will be the 2nd greatest QB over the next decade (after Mahomes.....which will have a lot more variety in the answers and is not as set in stone).

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson

:lmao::lmao: Willie, Willie, Willie, you may not know this but the league has figured Jackson out. They're RG3ing him now and it's not a damn thing he can do about it. His legs don't scare teams anymore, so guess what, they're making him read defenses and coverages. Just read a tweet last week that ALL his stats/number are down from last year. Dak is a better QB.....lol

giphy.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
haven't watched enough games but Herbert seems to me the best suited to run any scheme you put him in but being able to be pro level pocket passer with IMO a Brett Favre Arm with Rogers accuracy, his spirals are near perfect and they are humming...

I like that type of Qb although 10 games in hard to tell but if i was forced to take anyone outside of Mahomes, im Going Herbert..