Gilbert > Dalton, DiNucci & Rush

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The eye test solidifies this.

Garrett Gilbert looked much better with this same Cowboys Offense than what Andy Dalton & Ben DiNucci have this season, plus Cooper Rush the past several seasons.

Gilbert should be the starting QB for the next game, not Dalton. Obviously, Jerry and Stephen are favoring Dalton to start because he is costing them much more to be on the team.

If we're going according to performance and how they were able to carry the Offense, shouldn't Garrett Gilbert be starting?

What say you?

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Dunks3001

Reaction score
I thought I heard somewhere that if Dalton starts "X" amount of games they get a higher comp pick. If that's the case then I say start him. Once you hit that number (whatever it may be) then you can start Gilbert the rest of the way and see if he's a better backup option for next year. The Cowboys may not have a good plan when it comes to building a team and winning but I think they know what their doing when it comes to tanking. Strategy checks out IMO

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah -- what's not to like! I'm excited as heck about what he did vs. the Steelers! That was quite a performance he had.:thumbup:
The one thing that gives me pause to wondering is that he's been bounced around almost as much as a ping-pong ball. :omg:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Remember Gilbert has been around a while it is not like he was some UDFA or something from this draft class. Guy was drafted in 2014 he is 29 years old.

Perhaps he's a lot like fine wines -- you know?! Wait for it . . . they just get better with age!! :dance:

I don't claim to be any talent guru or anything but he really looked exceptional vs. a tough team.

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
Perhaps he's a lot like fine wines -- you know?! Wait for it . . . they just get better with age!! :dance:

I don't claim to be any talent guru or anything but he really looked exceptional vs. a tough team.
I give him and coaches credit. It would be interesting if he were to start the rest of the season if things would come back what made him a journeyman for 6 years.

conner01

Reaction score
Eye test after tape has been distributed through the league would give us a better indication.
And maybe more than one game
He’s played much more football than Nooch so I would expect him to be better but one game sure doesn’t say he’s better than dalton

conner01

Reaction score
I thought I heard somewhere that if Dalton starts "X" amount of games they get a higher comp pick. If that's the case then I say start him. Once you hit that number (whatever it may be) then you can start Gilbert the rest of the way and see if he's a better backup option for next year. The Cowboys may not have a good plan when it comes to building a team and winning but I think they know what their doing when it comes to tanking. Strategy checks out IMO
Comp picks are complicated but don’t see how we would get a higher comp pick for one of our players playing more games
Maybe some of our local experts can explain that

conner01

Reaction score
I give him and coaches credit. It would be interesting if he were to start the rest of the season if things would come back what made him a journeyman for 6 years.
Probably
I’d start him to see if he could be a backup next year but I don’t think we found the next Tom Brady here

Adreme

Reaction score
The offense looked much better than it had, though that is a VERY low bar, but lets not overhype what happened. The Cowboys scored 19 points. Of those 19, 10 of which came directly off of HUGE special teams plays.

That was a game that any half-decent offense SHOULD have won. The fact of the matter is they do not have it with Gilbert and MAYBE they can have it with Dalton, but I agree it is unlikely.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think one game solidifies anything other than Gilbert did a nice job for one game. Clearly Dalton's career has to count for something, and we really don't know about Rush.

That said, I would be fine with Gilbert starting again if the team were to choose that path. He certainly seemed poised for the most part, and although he missed some throws, he also made some in key moments, which is a good sign.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pappy says Dalton is better than Dak, so I say let's go with Dalton......

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Gilbert did a pretty good job, maybe even a very good job, under the circumstances. But it was one game. I don't like repeating myself, but starting Dalton is the right move, as long as they sit him if he struggles.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Probably
I’d start him to see if he could be a backup next year but I don’t think we found the next Tom Brady here

Being a backup would potentially be better than being on the practice squad and being subject to getting pilfered.

He might not prove himself as a starter but as a backup, he'd possibly be better than the others we have in house.