Gimme's very early roster predictions

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I just wanted to do this because I couldn't stop myself from mulling over the possibilities in my mind and wanted to get something down in writing.

I realize that more players will probably be added and that a lot of these new players we haven't even seen yet ... but that's why this is a "very early edition." :wink:

OFFENSE
Quarterback (2)
STARTER
Tony Romo
BACKUP Brad Johnson
PRACTICE SQUAD Matt Moore
CUT Brock Berlin, Matt Baker
ANALYSIS With Isaiah Stanback making the roster, the Cowboys have the luxury of keeping only two quarterbacks on the active roster (which will help them carry an extra kicker) and using Stanback as an emergency quarterback. I think that will be the way they want to go unless Moore or Baker show enough to be worthy of a roster spot and too much of a risk to try to get to the practice squad.

Fullback (1)
STARTER
Deon Anderson
PRACTICE SQUAD Jackie Battle
CUT Lousaka Polite
ANALYSIS I think Anderson will have an edge on Oliver Hoyte in fullback know-how and skills out of the backfield, and Hoyte will become a versatile backup fullback and inside linebacker (where he’s listed). Battle’s skills are intriguing, but I think it will take time for him to develop as a blocker. He could be kept on the roster, though, as a third running back/backup fullback. Polite’s time in Dallas should be over.

Tailback (3)
STARTER
Julius Jones
BACKUPS Marion Barber III, Alonzo Coleman
TRADED Tyson Thompson
ANALYSIS Although I like Thompson a lot as a return man and speed burner, I don’t think he has enough moves to ever become a true option for the tailback rotation. Whether he remains depends a lot on Coleman, who has the ability to pick his way through traffic that Thompson lacks, but might not be powerful enough to be more than a practice squad player this year. Thompson’s return skills should give him some late-round trade value, and Dallas would need him more if Miles Austin had not developed as a return man. It wouldn’t surprise me for Dallas to keep all four, but that seems a little excessive.

Wide receiver (6)
STARTERS
Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn
BACKUPS Patrick Crayton, Isaiah Stanback, Sam Hurd, Miles Austin
PRACTICE SQUAD Jamel Richardson
CUT Jamaica Rector, Jerheme Urban, Jerard Rabb, Mike Jefferson
ANALYSIS With Crayton being the third receiver and Dallas excited about the prospects of Hurd, Austin and Stanback, I think the Cowboys keep six on the roster this year. Hurd stands to be inactive on game days, though, if Stanback becomes a special teammer and the emergency quarterback. Of the rest, Richardson intrigues me the most as a practice squad possibility.

Tight end (3)
STARTER
Jason Witten
BACKUPS Anthony Fasano, Tony Curtis
PRACTICE SQUAD Rodney Hannah
CUT Andy Thorn
ANALYSIS This spot is kind of tricky for me. Drafting a fullback makes it clear that Dallas has divorced itself from the two-tight end set as a base offense, which means the Cowboys don’t need as many tight ends. It would be best for them to carry three, though, but I’m not sure Curtis proved worthy. Hannah, a raw prospect like Curtis was, could push for the third spot and so could Thorn, or Dallas could just go with two.

Center (2)
STARTER
Andre Gurode
BACKUP Joe Berger
PRACTICE SQUAD Steve Rissler
CUT Trey Darilek
ANALYSIS I could see the backup job going to Cory Proctor or James Marten (and Dallas keeping one less lineman), but both of those guys would be sort of centers by default and Berger seems to have been brought in primarily as a possibility at the position. Darilek could be in the running, but he’s a third-season reject by Philadelphia so I’m not counting on him for much. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Dallas keep a “true” center, Rissler, on the practice squad.

Guard (4)
STARTERS
Pat McQuistan, Leonard Davis
BACKUPS Kyle Kosier, Cory Proctor
CUT Marco Rivera, Robert Turner
ANALYSIS Perhaps the biggest surprise of my predictions, at least on offense, is McQuistan beating out Kosier for the starting left guard spot. I just wasn’t pleased with Kosier’s power, or lack thereof, and believe McQuistan will better fit this line. With Davis and McQuistan starting, Dallas won’t be as good at pulling, but will be more stout. I also don’t believe that Rivera will retire and Dallas will have to cut him.

Tackle (4)
STARTERS
Flozell Adams, Marc Colombo
BACKUPS James Marten, Doug Free
CUT Jim Molinaro
ANALYSIS Molinaro had an outside shot of making the roster before Dallas drafted the two tackles, and he’s also a third-season reject by an NFC East rival. No real surprises here: The starters are set for this season, and it would be a disappointment for the rookies to not make the team.

DEFENSE
End (5)
STARTERS
Jason Hatcher, Marcus Spears
BACKUPS Chris Canty, Jeremiah Ratliff, Stephen Bowen
ANALYSIS Bowen showed enough potential that I think he’ll force Dallas to keep a fifth end, plus Ratliff will likely end up being the backup nose tackle anyway. I think in Wade Phillips’ scheme, Hatcher makes more sense as a starter than Canty because he has more of a pass rush burst (Hatcher and Spears were good 4-3 ends in college). I wouldn’t be surprised, though, for the starters to end up being Canty and Hatcher or Spears and Canty, either. It will be intriguing to find out who excels the most (or who flops the most) in this scheme.

Nose tackle (1)
STARTER
Jason Ferguson
PRACTICE SQUAD Montavious Stanley
CUT Remi Ayodele, Ola Dagunduro
ANALYSIS Like I said above, Ratliff ends up as the backup here because no one else looks worthy. Stanley probably has the best shot, but will have to show a lot of commitment and development. If he improves, Dallas might give him one more year to develop on the practice squad. If not, maybe Dagunduro proves worthy of the PS.

Linebacker (8)
STARTERS
DeMarcus Ware, Akin Ayodele, Bradie James, Anthony Spencer
BACKUPS Greg Ellis, Kevin Burnett, Oliver Hoyte, Bobby Carpenter
PRACTICE SQUAD Dedrick Harrington
CUT Junior Glymph, Jay Saldi, Blair Phillips
ANALYSIS Yes, I’ve got the rookie as a starting outside linebacker. The reason is that I think Ellis won’t be ready to go full speed full time at the start of camp, Dallas will be focusing Carpenter on being an inside menace and Spencer will seize the job. I think Ellis will get most of his playing time as a third-and-long end this season since this scheme lets the ends play more like 4-3 ends, and Carpenter and Burnett will primarily be nickel linebackers. Harrington seems a better fit than Phillips as a developmental prospect for this defense.

Cornerbacks (6)
STARTERS
Anthony Henry, Terence Newman
BACKUPS Aaron Glenn, Jacques Reeves, Quincy Butler, Courtney Brown
PRACTICE SQUAD Alan Ball
CUT Nate Jones, Joey Thomas
ANALYSIS I always feel more comfortable going with six corners over five, and feel good about what I saw from Butler last preseason and what I’ve heard about his off-season work. I could see Dallas trading Reeves because he’ll likely leave in free agency next season, but right now he’s the only proven fourth corner the Cowboys have. Brown is very intriguing as a developmental nickel corner, but likely will show too much to be put on the practice squad. Jones has been versatile, but not real good at anything and Thomas has been through two teams on his way to Dallas and shouldn’t be expected to suddenly turn it around.

Safeties (4)
STARTERS
Roy Williams, Ken Hamlin
BACKUPS Abram Elam, Patrick Watkins
CUT Keith Davis, Damarius Bilbo, Jasper Johnson
ANALYSIS Could this be the end for Killa? Davis has been a standout special teammer, but just a guy as a safety. With Hamlin coming in, the fourth safety spot comes down to Davis and Elam. Elam showed he could be at least nearly as valuable on special teams as Davis and has intriguing potential as a safety. Bilbo likely won’t show much in his conversion from receiver, but Johnson could entice enough to earn a practice squad spot.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Kicker (2)
STARTER
Martin Gramatica
BACKUP Nick Folk
CUT Carlos Martinez
ANALYSIS I don’t like keeping two kickers, but the reality is that paying a draft pick for a kicker means Dallas isn’t likely to risk losing Folk to try to get him on the practice squad (it’s easier to take that risk on late-rounders at other positions with depth). The Cowboys could just cut Gramatica, but Folk will have to completely win over management for Dallas to trust a rookie kicker in a year when it expects to compete for a championship. Keeping just two quarterbacks will be the justification for keeping two kickers. The question is, will Dallas take both to games so that Folk can kick off and Gramatica can kick field goals?

Punter (1)
STARTER
Mat McBriar
ANALYSIS What exactly happened to our high-priced punter working to be the kickoff guy anyway? McBriar has earned his money with his booming punts, but it would be nice to save a roster space by him kicking off as well. Oh well, it was going to be a work in progress most likely at best, and might still be. One thing about Folk being on the team is that Dallas doesn’t need to bring in a punter for competition for McBriar.

Long snapper (1)
STARTER
L.P. Ladouceur
ANALYSIS I hope Dallas has a backup plan for if Ladouceur gets injured, since it hasn’t brought in another long snapper yet. But I continue to believe that Ladouceur has become one of the better long snappers in the league and don’t blame Dallas for feeling good about what it’s got. (The only way it would be better is if the Cowboys had gotten a long snapper who could also help at a regular position.)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think Battle can make it as the third RB. Just a hunch and likely a pet. We may keep two FBs. I don't like that idea. We desperately need someone to play the role of Meggett or Metcalf. We need more of a scat back and receiver out of the backfield IMO. I like MB but something even more elusive. Maybe that is the role they perceive for Stanback. I don't think Battle is that person but Stanback could be.

You might see:

RB: JJ, MB, Stanback (WR/RB/Slash/PR), Battle
FB: Anderson, Hoyte

Just a thought. I like your roster.

gimmesix

Reaction score
jobberone;1484914 said:
I think Battle can make it as the third RB. Just a hunch and likely a pet. We may keep two FBs. I don't like that idea. We desperately need someone to play the role of Meggett or Metcalf. We need more of a scat back and receiver out of the backfield IMO. I like MB but something even more elusive. Maybe that is the role they perceive for Stanback. I don't think Battle is that person but Stanback could be.

You might see:

RB: JJ, MB, Stanback (WR/RB/Slash/PR), Battle
FB: Anderson, Hoyte

Just a thought. I like your roster.

I definitely don't want to rule Battle out. If he shows something as a running back and potential as a fullback that definitely increases his value. He is the type of fullback prospect I wanted Dallas to look at in the draft, one who could run, catch and potentially block.

As far as Stanback goes, it sounds like Dallas wants him to be a receiver and it might be a bit much to ask him to learn to be a running back also at this time. But there might be a lot of slashes by his name before it's over.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Nice job! I like the call with McQ starting at LG...I'm with ya on this one and hope he does because Kosier adds a lot of value as a backup on game days...versatility means we don't need to dress as many oline.

The one change I make is Carp starting inside wirh Akin...I think Bradie will be a back up behind Carp.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic;1484926 said:
Nice job! I like the call with McQ starting at LG...I'm with ya on this one and hope he does because Kosier adds a lot of value as a backup on game days...versatility means we don't need to dress as many oline.

The one change I make is Carp starting inside wirh Akin...I think Bradie will be a back up behind Carp.

I'm not sure how things are going to progress with Carp. He's got to go back inside and show he can work through traffic and be a run-stuffer to take James' place.

Right now, I think James is better in that role but a liability in pass coverage, which Carpenter seems to handle well. That's why I think Carp will start off as a nickel linebacker, who can bring the pass rush or drop into coverage. ... Eventually, I see him taking over for James completely because he's the better all-around athlete.

Catch-22

Reaction score
I think Folk can win the job outright with a solid preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if we purposely stall our offense in the 4th quarters of games just to give him some 40+ yard attempts.

gimmesix

Reaction score
From SI.com on "hidden gems":

• Robert Turner/G/New Mexico: Three wrist surgeries the past two years have caused Turner to fly under the radar, but the wide-bodied blocker who dominates as both a pass protector and run blocker is beginning to get notice again. Nearly a half-dozen teams will be on hand on Wednesday as Turner finally works out for league scouts.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Catch-22;1484952 said:
I think Folk can win the job outright with a solid preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if we purposely stall our offense in the 4th quarters of games just to give him some 40+ yard attempts.

I think Dallas has to give him every shot to win it.

Everyone knows what they've got in Gramatica, and it's not going to change (and I'm satisfied with what he can do as a FG kicker).

Dallas has to see if Folk can take that next step in improvement, so it's not just all about upside and kickoff ability. One thing that has to be somewhat comforting is reports that he has handled pressure field goals well.

JaiRiid

Reaction score
Killer Keith is valuable enough as a special teamer to keep around IMO

sago1

Reaction score
Keith Davis is supposedly the best ST we've got but he can't play FS & can't get on the field as a SS & Cowboys seem prefer Elam as Williams backup. If Parcells were still here, KD makes the team so it will be real interesting to see what Wade Phillips does. The kicking of Nick Folk may determine how necessary KD will be.

k19

Reaction score
gimmesix;1484969 said:
From SI.com on "hidden gems":

• Robert Turner/G/New Mexico: Three wrist surgeries the past two years have caused Turner to fly under the radar, but the wide-bodied blocker who dominates as both a pass protector and run blocker is beginning to get notice again. Nearly a half-dozen teams will be on hand on Wednesday as Turner finally works out for league scouts.

• Robert Turner, G, New Mexico: He is not a physical standout and likely would not have helped himself in a combine-type environment. But he started 48 games in college and stepped up his play at the East-West Shrine Game.

From the local paper (ABQ Trib)
Turner said the terms of his deal are not being disclosed.

Turner, a preseason All-American, went into UNM's 2006 season projected as a high draft pick.

Then he suffered a fractured wrist and had surgery before his senior season. The wrist trouble returned after the season and Turner was unable to do early workouts for pro scouts. He was healthy enough to workout for some teams last week, but it was too late to raise his status in the draft.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
You did a GREAT job with your analysis......thanks for the early look at the team.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I agree with everything except McQ replacing Kosier. McQ is still basically a rookie and will be switching positions. I won't rule out it happening later in the season but to start the season I don't see Kosier losing his spot.

I also think Battle makes the team as the 3rd rb/fb and along with Stanback being the emergency qb that will allow us to carry a couple of extra players.

But I agree with everything else.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I must of missed that McQ was moved to guard.

Also, Parcells also mentioned that Killa was a great special teams player, but last year his play really tailed off. Losing Fowler or Hoyte will be more costly than losing Davis. Hurd also played better special teams than Davis.

We should have let him go to NO last year.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I don't think there's any way we go into the season with less than nine LBs on the active roster.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Now that was a super post, here is my thinking;

OFFENSE
Quarterback (3)
STARTER Tony Romo
BACKUP Brad Johnson
Backup Moore, From what I hear, he will make too much noise to be put on pratice squad.
CUT Brock Berlin, Matt Baker-kinda like when Parcells learned that he couldnt sneak Austin & Hurd onto the pratice squad, teams would sign them.
ANALYSIS And Stanback will have to much to do learning a new position, trying to catch up from not running and the playbook, while at same time learning the punt return game. I do think in time, possibly during the season that Jason Garrett, might use Stanback on key situations on reverses, QB throw on WR screen etc.

Fullback (1)
STARTER Oliver Hoyte
PRACTICE SQUAD Anderson
CUT Lousaka Polite
ANALYSIS Anderson, usually unless guys are super big and strong as a fullback, they cant make it the first year, they need grooming and learning.By mid-year, you could see anderson back on the squad, taking over for Hoyte, remember even Hoyte hit a wall mid-season.

Tailback (4)
STARTER Julius Jones
BACKUPS Marion Barber III, , Battle (Coleman could be here if too good)
Pratice Squad: will be Coleman or Battle
TRADED Tyson Thompson
ANALYSIS Although I like Thompson a lot as a return man and speed burner, I don?t think he has enough moves to ever become a true option for the tailback rotation. Whether he remains depends a lot on Coleman, who has the ability to pick his way through traffic that Thompson lacks, but might not be powerful enough to be more than a practice squad player this year. Thompson?s return skills should give him some late-round trade value, and Dallas would need him more if Miles Austin had not developed as a return man. It wouldn?t surprise me for Dallas to keep all four, but that seems a little excessive.I agree with this thinking, but to me, Battle will make it here, unless he doesnt show something. I have heard good things about Coleman, he just isnt quite as strong as Julius yet, so needs a year maturing, you could see Coleman, if he shows alot in pratice, they dont play him too much like they did Austin, and try to sneak him onto the pratice squad. Battle is a bruiser if capable and Phillips loves big bruisers like Parcells did.

Wide receiver (6)
STARTERS Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn (Possibly Keyshawn here for insurance)
BACKUPS Patrick Crayton - (possible trade), Isaiah Stanback, Sam Hurd, Miles Austin
ANALYSIS With Crayton being the third receiver and Dallas excited about the prospects of Hurd, Austin and Stanback, I think the Cowboys keep six, maybe 7 if they resign Keyshawn on the roster this year. Hurd stands to be inactive on game days, though, if Stanback becomes a special teammer and the emergency quarterback. Of the rest, Richardson intrigues me the most as a practice squad possibility.
I think that Hurd or Crayton could be traded, if Stanback shows something, or Richardson, got to remember, Crayton is in last year of his contract, and a free agent next year, thats where Keyshawn might come in, while Stanback, Austin & Hurd learn, maybe Richardson too.

Tight end (2)
STARTER Jason Witten
BACKUPS Anthony Fasano,
CUT Andy Thorn
Possible Trade: Tony Curtis
ANALYSIS With Dallas drafting a fullback and Hoyte being a year wiser, i think the cowboys just keep two tight ends, (the two tight end formation seems dead now) while anderson learns the fullback position and gets stronger, Its just real hard for a small fullback to make it until he gets stronger. Drafting a fullback makes it clear that Dallas has divorced itself from the two-tight end set as a base offense, which means the Cowboys don?t need as many tight ends. You can keep Hannah on the pratice squad if he shows anything, and if you dont trade tony curtis or cut him, he could be your pratice squad player again, if something happened to a backup TE, fullback is the new blocking sceme now with Jason Garrett aboard. Hannah, a raw prospect like Curtis was, could push for the third spot and so could Thorn, or Dallas could just go with two.

Center (1)
STARTER Andre Gurode
BACKUP Joe Berger, I think the Cowboys will try Free or Marten at backup center, to keep an extra roster spot. They have been working Proctor at backup center during the offseason, so I think one center.
CUT Trey Darilek
ANALYSIS I could see the backup job going to Cory Proctor or James Marten (and Dallas keeping one less lineman), but both of those guys would be sort of centers by default and Berger seems to have been brought in primarily as a possibility at the position. Darilek could be in the running, but he?s a third-season reject by Philadelphia so I?m not counting on him for much. It wouldn?t surprise me to see Dallas keep a ?true? center, Rissler, on the practice squad.

Guard (4)
STARTERS Pat McQuistan, Leonard Davis
ANALYSIS Perhaps the biggest surprise of my predictions, at least on offense, is McQuistan beating out Kosier for the starting left guard spot. I just wasn?t pleased with Kosier?s power, or lack thereof, and believe McQuistan will better fit this line. With Davis and McQuistan starting, Dallas won?t be as good at pulling, but will be more stout. I also don?t believe that Rivera will retire and Dallas will have to cut him. I do think Kosier will beat out McQuistan at the start of the year, but McQuistan will start by mid season. The biggest surprise could be McQuistan taking over for Adams if he starts playing poorly again. But I dont see that this year, since Adams is in last year of his contract and he knows he has to have a good year to get a good contract from someone else, and I am sure he realizes this maybe his last year in Dallas. With center backup, which were good remarks, dont be surprised to see Free or Marten playing there alittle, that would lessen the roster spot a little, i have heard reports, believe it or not, that both free and marten would make ideal blockers at center too. Jen of the dallas news, said the other day dont be surprised to see McQuistan taking over for Adams.

Tackle (4)
STARTERS Flozell Adams, Marc Colombo
BACKUPS James Marten, Doug Free, McQuistan swing for guard and tackle
CUT Jim Molinaro
ANALYSIS Molinaro had an outside shot of making the roster before Dallas drafted the two tackles, and he?s also a third-season reject by an NFC East rival. No real surprises here: The starters are set for this season, and it would be a disappointment for the rookies to not make the team. I agree with this, if Molinaro plays decent, and some teams star offensive linemen goes down, you could see Molinaro traded for a low draft pick. The biggest news whether McQuistain plays at LOG or at LOT, is the news by a reporter that she said don?t be surprised to see McQuistan taking over for Adams, got to remember that this is Adams last year on his contract, and they didn?t draft 2 huge offensive tackles for nothing. If they show something, Adams will be on his way out, so you would need to see McQuistan play alittle at LOT, but don?t rule out what Jerry Jones says about moving McQuistan to guard, they want to look at him, whether that is Jones ideal or Phillips, we all know whom runs the team, so look for McQuistan playing at guard or tackle this year. Most likely Free & Marten playing in spots too, look at what happened to the Chargers last year, their offensive tackle went down and McNeil whom we could have drafted, but chose Fasano instead, started for the Chargers, and went to the pro bowl best of my knowledge. Now I am not saying Free or Marten are a McNeil, but Free has that potential.

DEFENSE
End (5)
STARTERS Jason Hatcher, Marcus Spears
ANALYSIS Bowen showed enough potential that I think he?ll force Dallas to keep a fifth end, plus Ratliff will likely end up being the backup nose tackle anyway. I think in Wade Phillips? scheme, Hatcher makes more sense as a starter than Canty because he has more of a pass rush burst (Hatcher and Spears were good 4-3 ends in college). I wouldn?t be surprised, though, for the starters to end up being Canty and Hatcher or Spears and Canty, either. It will be intriguing to find out who excels the most (or who flops the most) in this scheme.

Nose tackle (1)
STARTER Jason Ferguson
ANALYSIS Like I said above, Ratliff ends up as the backup here because no one else looks worthy. Stanley probably has the best shot, but will have to show a lot of commitment and development. If he improves, Dallas might give him one more year to develop on the practice squad. If not, maybe Dagunduro proves worthy of the PS.

Linebacker (9)
STARTERS DeMarcus Ware, Akin Ayodele, Bradie James, Bobby Carpenter
BACKUPS Greg Ellis, Kevin Burnett, Oliver Hoyte, Anthony Spencer, Junior Glymph
ANALYSIS I?ve got the rookie as a starting outside linebacker, on nickel pass rush situations, till he catches on. I agree I think Ellis won?t be ready to go full speed full time at the start of camp, to me Carpenter looked good on the outside at the end of the year, he just looked lost last year in the middle. I think Ellis will get most of his playing time as a third-and-long end this season since this scheme lets the ends play more like 4-3 ends, and Spencer and Burnett will primarily be nickel linebackers, until Spencer catches on, I am saying by the 6th or 7th game Spencer catches on, and takes full time on the outside opposite ware, now I wouldn?t be surprised to see spencer on the weak side, with ware on the strong side, till spencer gets used to the strong side. If there is a rookie besides spencer that makes it, not sure, don?t know too much about Phillips, Harrington, so right now looks like Junior Glymph could be your 9th surprise player, remember that with wade Phillips defense, you blitz more than anything, that?s where Glymph comes in, he should be ready in this defense, and take over.

Cornerbacks (6)
STARTERS Anthony Henry, Terence Newman
PRACTICE SQUAD Alan Ball
ANALYSIS I always feel more comfortable going with six corners over five, and feel good about what I saw from Butler last preseason and what I?ve heard about his off-season work. I could see Dallas trading Reeves because he?ll likely leave in free agency next season, but right now he?s the only proven fourth corner the Cowboys have. Brown is very intriguing as a developmental nickel corner, but likely will show too much to be put on the practice squad. I think from what I have read and heard that Brown will be the sleeper impact 7th round draft choice like Colston Wr was with the Saints last year, Brown might even make rookie of the year or close to it on defense as a cornerback. Jones has been versatile, but not real good at anything and Thomas has been through two teams on his way to Dallas and shouldn?t be expected to suddenly turn it around.

Safeties (4)
STARTERS Roy Williams, Ken Hamlin
ANALYSIS Could this be the end for Killa? Davis has been a standout special teammer, but just a guy as a safety. No, I think Keith Davis spot is on special teams, and he would be a good backup for Roy Davis but only as a strong safety in the box. However, don?t be surprised to see Davis possibly traded to New Orleans, you?ve got to remember, we lost one of our key special teams demons in Fowler, so in a way we need Davis, but if right trade comes up with Saints (remember how Sean Payton tried to get him as a free agent a year ago. So, to me, with him coming up as a free agent next year, I think he will be traded, he does have value there on special teams. With Hamlin coming in, the fourth safety spot comes down to Davis and Elam. Elam showed he could be at least nearly as valuable on special teams as Davis and has intriguing potential as a safety. Bilbo likely won?t show much in his conversion from receiver, but Johnson could entice enough to earn a practice squad spot.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Kicker (2)
STARTER Martin Gramatica
BACKUP Nick Folk
CUT Carlos Martinez
ANALYSIS I don?t like keeping two kickers, but the reality is that paying a draft pick for a kicker means Dallas isn?t likely to risk losing Folk to try to get him on the practice squad (it?s easier to take that risk on late-rounders at other positions with depth). The Cowboys could just cut Gramatica, but Folk will have to completely win over management for Dallas to trust a rookie kicker in a year when it expects to compete for a championship. Keeping just two quarterbacks will be the justification for keeping two kickers. The question is, will Dallas take both to games so that Folk can kick off and Gramatica can kick field goals? From what I read and heard Wade Phillips say about kickers he did it when he was at Denver, with 2 kickers, and when he was with the Saints, he brought Morten Anderson along slowly he said, till he was ready. You could possibly with right situation, if Folk shows real well by mid season, and some teams kicker gets hurt, you could see Gramatica traded. I don?t think so, you want an experienced kicker going into the playoffs, but remember the Patriots had a rookie kicker the first year they went to the super bowl, so anything is possible. And got to remember that Folk would make a good emergency punter if needed. The cowboys also signed a rookie punter as a undrafted free agent, that guy if shows something could be traded during preseason if he shows something, one of the assistant coaches, the special teams coach I think, had to see something in him, reports are that he is an excellent coffin punter, etc. That?s how you build your team, by trades like Keith Davis, this punter if half way decent, Reeves if Brown shows anything, and Crayton if Stanback shows anything, and the cowboys bring back Keyshawn.

Punter (1)
STARTER Mat McBriar
ANALYSIS What exactly happened to our high-priced punter working to be the kickoff guy anyway? McBriar has earned his money with his booming punts, but it would be nice to save a roster space by him kicking off as well. Oh well, it was going to be a work in progress most likely at best, and might still be. One thing about Folk being on the team is that Dallas doesn?t need to bring in a punter for competition for McBriar. However, they did bring in a punter, I am thinking its to save McBriars leg for the full season if anything, you sure don?t want your punter back there punting during the pre season, with rookies, and some guy rushes in and nails McBriar good. Then, if that punter is any good, you might get a draft choice for him, sure a low round, but that?s how your build your team.

Long snapper (1)
STARTER L.P. Ladouceur
ANALYSIS I hope Dallas has a backup plan for if Ladouceur gets injured, since it hasn?t brought in another long snapper yet. But I continue to believe that Ladouceur has become one of the better long snappers in the league and don?t blame Dallas for feeling good about what it?s got. (The only way it would be better is if the Cowboys had gotten a long snapper who could also help at a regular position.) I am thinking thinking that the cowboys have signed a rookie undrafted player that isn?t reported yet, or they will look at teams snappers during the pre season, the full undrafted rookies doesn?t get usually posted till Thursday or Friday, so wait and see. From what I heard, the Cowboys did bring in a snapper or two before the draft, and from I heard, it may not have been all Tony Romos fault, so they may have that covered and we don?t know it yet. I heard the one player that the cowboys wanted, and got away, (heard it from Norm on the ticket) was DeOssie, the linebacker that went to the Giants, the cowboys tried to trade back up to get him, just couldn?t. And one of DeOssies strengths was snapping on punts and field goals, so I think there is another snapper the Cowboys are looking at and we don?t know about yet.

So, I am by my forecasting one player over the 53 man limit, not sure whom will be out of that picture, but I think I have the roster cut down, they may not even have Keyshawn back, so that would cut it down one, or they may just go with 2 QBs, so that would do it, but that?s the best I could bring it down. Know its kinda long, but thought you might see my thinking and adding to what the guy had post. Again, I thought he had a super super post for the roster.

BLT

Reaction score
i was just thinking L.P Ladoucer must be a good LS for us since the only time you hear about a LS is when he screws up

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm hoping for Carpenter to start. Carp has so much more than James, like speed/power/recognition etc.

Plus I think Carp would make a great inside blitzer, he seems to have a knack for surprisingly slipping through the line.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
gimmesix;1484900 said:
I just wanted to do this because I couldn't stop myself from mulling over the possibilities in my mind and wanted to get something down in writing.

I realize that more players will probably be added and that a lot of these new players we haven't even seen yet ... but that's why this is a "very early edition." :wink:

OFFENSE
Quarterback (2)
STARTER Tony Romo
BACKUP Brad Johnson
PRACTICE SQUAD Matt Moore
CUT Brock Berlin, Matt Baker

Fullback (1)
STARTER Deon Anderson
PRACTICE SQUAD Jackie Battle
CUT Lousaka Polite
Tailback (3)
STARTER Julius Jones
TRADED Tyson Thompson
Wide receiver (6)
STARTERS Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn
BACKUPS Patrick Crayton, Isaiah Stanback, Sam Hurd, Miles Austin

Tight end (3)
STARTER Jason Witten
BACKUPS Anthony Fasano, Tony Curtis
CUT Andy Thorn

Center (2)
STARTER Andre Gurode
BACKUP Joe Berger
CUT Trey Darilek
Guard (4)
STARTERS Pat McQuistan, Leonard Davis

Tackle (4)
STARTERS Flozell Adams, Marc Colombo
BACKUPS James Marten, Doug Free
CUT Jim Molinaro

DEFENSE
End (5)
STARTERS Jason Hatcher, Marcus Spears
Nose tackle (1)
STARTER Jason Ferguson

Linebacker (8)
STARTERS DeMarcus Ware, Akin Ayodele, Bradie James, Anthony Spencer
BACKUPS Greg Ellis, Kevin Burnett, Oliver Hoyte, Bobby Carpenter

Cornerbacks (6)
STARTERS Anthony Henry, Terence Newman
PRACTICE SQUAD Alan Ball

Safeties (4)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Kicker (2)
STARTER Martin Gramatica
BACKUP Nick Folk
CUT Carlos Martinez
Punter (1)
STARTER Mat McBriar

Long snapper (1)
STARTER L.P. Ladouceur

VERY Nice job and interesting read. Kudos!
I agree with the majority of your analysis. However, I woud make a few changes.

Tailback (3)
STARTER Julius Jones
CUT Tyson Thompson
Coming off of an ACL injury, he might not be worth a trade for anyone. Coleman is a better all-around RB than Thompson, and with the emergence of Austin and the signing of Stanbeck, Thompson will not have any use anymore.

Guard (4)
STARTERS Kyle Kosier, Leonard Davis
BACKUPS Pat McQuistan, Cory Proctor
Practice Squad: Robert Turner
CUT Marco Rivera
I believe Kyle Kosier starts out the season as the starter, but McQuistan works his way into the starting line-up slowly and emerges as the full time starter by week 8. Robert Turner has the technique and drive to stay on the team as a practice squad member while developing his strength under a professional training program. Rivera, though he has the desire to stick around, simply will not have the physical ability to start anymore and will become a pre-season casualty.

Linebacker (8)
STARTERS DeMarcus Ware, Akin Ayodele, Bobby Carpenter , Anthony Spencer
BACKUPS Greg Ellis, Kevin Burnett, Oliver Hoyte, Junior Glymph
TRADED Bradie James
CUT Jay Saldi, Blair Phillips
ANALYSIS Many may be suprised to see James go at this point, but I personally don't feel thaat he would fit in with Wades system and was a love child of Parcells. He still has value for a 4-3 team looking for a LB veteran leadership with many more productive years left. I believe Dallas will pick up a vet LB to backup later in the offseason/preseason and make a move to trade James for a 4th round pick next year. I feel Carpenter should have seen more opportunity on the field last year but Parcells was too afraid to thurst him into the lineup. However, Wade will take full advatage of Carpenter's skill and he will emerge as one of the premier LBs in the conference.

Safeties (4)
TRADED Keith Davis
CUT Damarius Bilbo, Jasper Johnson
ANALYSIS I agree that Elam is the backup to Roy, but Keith still has trade vaue. Sean Payton is still in love with him and would love Davis on his squad, enough to give up a 4th or maybe even a 5th for him next year. The Cowboys cannot pass up on this opportunity.

cowboyjoe;1485243 said:
Now that was a super post, here is my thinking;

Linebacker (9)
STARTERS DeMarcus Ware, Akin Ayodele, Bradie James, Bobby Carpenter
BACKUPS Greg Ellis, Kevin Burnett, Oliver Hoyte, Anthony Spencer, Junior Glymph

Unless Dallas is atempted to befuddle opposing Offesnive Coordinators by cutting Glymph and still playing him in games, you need to make a change there...;)