CFZ Give it Up to Tyler Smith; You know, For Saving the Season

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Remember this offseason when nobody seemed to know what the plan was for the offensive line?

Well . . . how about that Tyler Smith kid?

I have to say, he's a great starting point for keeping the Dallas tradition of being strong up front. I've always liked that about this team. It at least makes you competitive if you've got a good offensive line, even you're not a great team in other areas.

This is different though. I actually feel pretty good about McGovern maybe getting time at center for the last game. And it's a long week, so I can't see Biadasz being out for the entire playoffs. I feel like this team has way more depth on the offensive line than I once thought, in part because of how players like Tyler and Peters are able to flex.

Anyway, 12-4 right now, with a chance to end the season 13-4.

Pretty sure I had one of the highest prediction rates in the "predict our record" thread, which I argue we should bump at seasons' end, just for fun, and I didn't even predict that sort of regular season.

Anyway, we accomplished a lot this year, in part because we made the right read on a player we ended up counting on.

As far as a first round pick goes, you want them to contribute their rookie years, ideally. And I'd say Tyler, although not perfect, contributed just fine this year.

Nice work by McClay, and the F.O. nailed their calculation.

Good job by Tyler, too.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The game against Tampa. Was totally on the offensive line. In my opinion he played a big part in it. I agree with that.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
I can't say enough about Tyler Smith. I re-watch the games during the week and I watch individual players through a microscope. This young man has been incredible. He is smart. He has seen a variety of pass rushes and has been successful on blitz pick-ups. DCs attack him as the weak link and he has proven to be a stud.

His strongest area is run blocking. He explodes off the line and dominates the point-of-attack. I hope that this will continue during the post season. I would like to see the line dominate the run game. Just think about this...he is learning from Martin, Peters and Tyron...kinduv crazy. It is also crazy that he can play Tackle or Guard. No rookie wall for Smith. The sky is the limit and he will have a star on his helmet for a long time. Brains & Brawn

Go Dallas!!!

Superbowl bound
:clap:

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
Smith has stepped up admirably this year at LT.

That being said I’m 100% open to drafting a LT if it’s BPA in the draft. Still think his ceiling is highest at LG.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
entire team. No one person had anything to do with it without the rest.

I would agree with you, if we're talking about things that put us over the edge to make us better than our opponents.

We've got a ton of talent on the team.

It's really just about the team gelling at the right time.

That being said I’m 100% open to drafting a LT if it’s BPA in the draft. Still think his ceiling is highest at LG.

If that's where the value is, you take it.

I agree. He's a top 10 LT in the league, off the bat, I'd argue. But he'd be a top 5 LG.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I would agree with you, if we're talking about things that put us over the edge to make us better than our opponents.

I agree. He's a top 10 LT in the league, off the bat, I'd argue. But he'd be a top 5 LG.

Right now? He’s far from top 10…maybe he can get there maybe he can’t.

I just feel more confident he can be a pro bowl caliber LG than LT.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I was responding to the other person that just mention three particular players.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

A true LT where we will be drafting will be a tall order

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Loved this draft pick. As excited as I am about the way he has played this year, I know he will only get better. If he is the long term replacement for Tyron at LOT the Cowboys are set at that position for the next decade.

exciter

Reaction score

Top 10? Lol! He’s given up 6 sacks and has 12 penalties. For reference Steele was credited with 1 for the season. Tyron was credited with 2 last season in an off year playing injured. His numbers are worse than some of the tackles taken in the 2nd and 3rd. Fan’s opinion are inflated because they were expecting “much worse” but if he was the normal starter on any given team and was consistently giving up those type stats, LT would be be a priority in either FA or the draft!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Top 10? Lol! He’s given up 6 sacks and has 12 penalties. For reference Steele was credited with 1 for the season. Tyron was credited with 2 last season in an off year playing injured. His numbers are worse than some of the tackles taken in the 2nd and 3rd. Fan’s opinion are inflated because they were expecting “much worse” but if he was the normal starter on any given team and was consistently giving up those type stats, LT would be be a priority in either FA or the draft!

Right. But there's more to it. You're just going off of stats.

But you're also forgetting that Steele plays RT, and Tyler plays the LT, when he trained at LG all preseason.

I realize he's given up some sacks.

Not every player has to face Aaron Donald as a rookie. But I'd say how well someone is playing LT involves a lot more than just sacks. I get that that's the Simpelton way to view it.

I think he's done well. Better than the stats would say, because of how he has opened up plays as well at times.

reddyuta

Reaction score
he is really struggling now,he might have hit a rookie wall.another thing is he is a Tackle,he will get beat easily at Guard where a tiny misstep is curtains.

exciter

Reaction score

But you're also forgetting that Steele plays RT, and Tyler plays the LT, when he trained at LG all preseason.

Not every player has to face Aaron Donald as a rookie. But I'd say how well someone is playing LT involves a lot more than just sacks. I get that that's the Simpelton way to view it.

I think he's done well. Better than the stats would say, because of how he has opened up plays as well at times.

Lol! Reality is stats actually mean something. Anyone who can look at his stats and overall play and come up with an evaluation of top 10 shouldn’t use the word simpleton unless looking in the mirror. He’s tied for 12th most in sacks and tied for 1st in penalties. His play has been admirable considering the circumstances but under normal circumstances would be considered borderline atrocious. He’s “not” anywhere near a top 10 tackle. He’s a guard trying to play tackle. Nothing more, nothing less!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe, but what if it’s a great RT prospect that saves us money from Steele?

You never know who will fall.

I think finding a RT there is a much more likely. However Id rater extended Steele. He has become a plus starter and has gotten much better each year he has played