Give me a "meat and potatoes" draft

DLCassidy

Reaction score
No RB's, No QB's, No DE's, No fat, weak OL guys, No 1st day TE's, No major injury risks, no dumb guys, no criminals, no punks, no guys with questionable work ethics, no undersized LB's, no safeties that can't cover, no "big combine- no production" guys, no guys without a sure NFL position.

Play along with me on this- if you agree (or are willing to pretend to agree) with me on the above who are guys that we've discussed does this mean we shouldn't draft?

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Well based on those standards we shouldn't draft Lawson, Wimbley, Anderson, Allen, pretty much every S outside of Huff, Simms, Alston....plenty more I'm sure, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

neosapien23

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
No RB's, No QB's, No DE's, No fat, weak OL guys, No 1st day TE's, No major injury risks, no dumb guys, no criminals, no punks, no guys with questionable work ethics, no undersized LB's, no safeties that can't cover, no "big combine- no production" guys, no guys without a sure NFL position.

Play along with me on this- if you agree (or are willing to pretend to agree) with me on the above who are guys that we've discussed does this mean we shouldn't draft?

If you want a sure bet in the first round than Carpenter is your man. His on field production cannot be denied. He has the size, speed, strenght, and most importantly experience to play the SOLB spot.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I want sure bets the first 3 picks...proven players that play football.

With the signing of Coleman...I'm almost wanting to move up an get Ngata at NT. This guy is an absolute beast in the middle. This would change our defense big time.

neosapien23

Reaction score
cboyd said:
Carpentar may have size, but speed, please

Carpenter ran a 4.66 on his pro-day workout with a still healing broken ankle. His true speed is somewhere around a 4.58 which is plenty fast for the postion. Besides he had 8 sacks this year despite missing two games. He is proven.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
If you want a sure bet in the first round than Carpenter is your man. His on field production cannot be denied. He has the size, speed, strenght, and most importantly experience to play the SOLB spot.
He also is coming off of an injury...that leaves him out.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Carpenter ran a 4.66 on his pro-day workout with a still healing broken ankle. His true speed is somewhere around a 4.58 which is plenty fast for the postion. Besides he had 8 sacks this year despite missing two games. He is proven.

yes, he has proven he isn't worthy of the #18 pick. He's a 25-30 guy

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:

So who exactly do you expect us to draft? You've pretty much eliminated each and every one of the prospects we're supposedly interested in.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
So who exactly do you expect us to draft? You've pretty much eliminated each and every one of the prospects we're supposedly interested in.

He didn't eliminate Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson, or Kamerion Wimberly.

He kind of eliminated Winston Justice, but I think he'd forgive the guy if we ended up drafting him. :D

burmafrd

Reaction score
Top charactor. Has no injury issues. Produced big time in big time programs and games for multiple years. No warts found at combine or pro days.
So who does that leave?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Rack said:
He didn't eliminate Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson, or Kamerion Wimberly.

He kind of eliminated Winston Justice, but I think he'd forgive the guy if we ended up drafting him. :D

Right on. Carpenter is not a major injury risk- he's coming off an injury but should be fine. Actually I was thinking about something that could become chronic- like Jason Allen's hip.

Lawson did have a monster combine that improved his draft stock, but he had solid production in a competitive conference.

Wimbley is by all accounts a very solid person and prospect.

Justice has had a bit of off the field stuff but nothing unforgivable- he's no Marcus Vick.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Top charactor. Has no injury issues. Produced big time in big time programs and games for multiple years. No warts found at combine or pro days.
So who does that leave?

I didn't say no warts- there aren't ANY of those. Don't be cranky- you can do this.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Manny Lawson will provide all the meat and potatoes this team will need for the next 10 years.

Eddie

Reaction score
Carpenter and Lawsen will NOT be Cowboys. :bang2:

cowboyjack

Reaction score
What I would like to see is a draft with 3 OL.... the top Tackle available in the 1st (right or left and leave them there), the top Guard in the 2nd and the top Center in the 5th. Use the 3rd round for the top receiver or safety available.

ravidubey

Reaction score
1) Haloti Ngata
2) Winston Justice
3) Manny Lawson
4) Kamerion Wimbley
5) Antonio Cromartie
6) Carpenter
7) Kiwi

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
Thank You Eddie:cool:

How about we draft Carpenter/Lawson in the first round. Lets follow that up with Maurice Drew in the second to add another RB. We had terrible Sp teams and our backs cant catch. In the third, hmm, a center would be good, we already got 2 of them.

My point is, we have burnt draft choices, and high ones on the OLB position. One year and everyone is ready to dump on Burnett. Not only that, Singleton was more than capable when he played. Sure he isnt flashy and doesnt jump out at you but Burnett has ability. If you put Burnett in this draft, he likely is drafted third after Hawk and Sims as a LB. I would put cash on the fact that out of the 32 NFL teams, Burnett would be above Carpenter. Sure Carpenter may have a few more votes among the 34 teams but I think Burnett is the superior player. People seem to write him off on every board I see. Keep in mind he was learning 3 of the 4 lb positions. Next year Im sure he will be focused on the OLB spot opposite Ware.

Conclusion, drafting Lawson or Carpenter is essentially toileting Burnetts selection. I am not ready to do that quite yet.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I'll give you some guys I like by position and by round:

WR

1) Chad Jackson
2) Sinorice Moss, Maurice Stovall
3) Demetrius Williams, Martin Nance, Devin Aromashodu
5) Hank Baskett, Brandon Marshall, Brandon Williams
6) Miles Austin, Skyler Green, Jeremy Bloom, Marques Colston

OT

1) Winston Justice, Eric Winston
2) Marcus McNeil, Daryn Colledge
5) Joe Toledo

OG

2) Devin Joseph, Charles Spencer
3) Max-Jean Gilles
5) Kevin Boothe, Rob Sims, Adam Stenavich

C

2) Nick Mangold
3) Chris Chester
5) Mike Degory

DT

1) Haloti Ngata
3) Babitude Oshinowo
5) Tommy Jackson
6) Steve Fifita

SOLB

1) Manny Lawson, Kameron Wimbley, Bobby Carpenter
2) Thomas Howard (yeah I know a bit undersized)
3) Chric Gacong, Mark Anderson, Stanley McClover
5) Elvis Dumervil

ILB

5) Kai Parham
6) Anthony Schlegel

FS/DB

1) Tye Hill, Antonio Cromartie
3) Cedric Griffin, Danieale Manning, Alan Zemaitis, Pat Watkins, David Pittman
5) Antoine Bethea

TE

5) Cooper Wallace
6) Quinn Sypniewski

FB

7) Matt Bernstein, JD Runnels

K

7) Josh Huston

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
Thats the thing. I think we are in position to draft almost a BPA. I still think we have some holes still needing addressing.

The key is not reaching for a player and seeing the visits of prospects, it is apparent we are layering the draft with prospects/rnds so not to reach.

I think the holes at this stage are:

FS- Coleman I think is more for depth ala Glenn. Glenn exceeded expectations. I think the hope is Coleman has another yr in the tank.

NT- Fergie is over 30 and Pepper is still a touch unproven. Need to ensure the middle is plugged.

RB- I say this from a receiving standpoint. We dont really have a 3rd down back. Barber was the man at seasons end due to his superior blocking but he doenst look natural catching the ball to me.

OL- I think Pettiti will bounce back but there is still age with Rivera and Fabini as well as health matters with Flo. I would love to get an agile LT prospect and put Flo back on the right side to add some power.

I for one like Cromartie as I think he is a rare talent and with the current depth in the secondary wouldnt be rushed into a role too great for him.

Listening to Bellichicks PC, he mentioned the Pats looking hard at someone who hasnt played in a year. Looks like Cromartie wont last past NE. There was also talk of moving up.