Give me Jon Runyan & Kevin Mawae as FA's next yr and draft

hendog

Reaction score
Max Jean-Gilles with our first rder and I'll be one happy camper.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
hendog said:

The issue is not tying tooo much $$$ up in the oline...at some point we will need WR and QB that will COST us...

Rivera, Flo, and LA are all expensive.....adding more will hurt us.

We have an interesting delima here....do we cut some ties, or try to add to an aging group??? I'm very concerned here....after the last few games....very very concerned.

I think our top pick will be an OT...that with Flo, Pettiti, and maybe Columbo should give us a good OT core...best man wins.

Need to add good OG and C to the mix as well. I would not mind adding Mawae at Center for a decent price, then drafting another OG in the middle rounds.

If we try and add more then one top FA to the oline we will get ourselves into trouble...Flo, LA, Rivera MUST step up...and they are not. Flo obviously can't, but the other two are playing very average at best.

te0002

Reaction score
Dallas has no chance of getting both of these guys - they'll be lucky to get Bentley to come here.

Your wishes bring-up up an interesting point - how will FA's view this team after the way Bill treated Thomas and Price?

Hiero

Reaction score
I'd much rather get a Tackle in the draft. Mawae Is a good center I am not sure what he wants or how much he has inthe tank but I could see that happening.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Runyan is starting to slow down and is on the wrong side of 30, I'd stay away, we don't need another Riveria.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You just can't have every lineman making over 4 million a year. Daniel Snyder isn't running this team so that won't happen.

An o-line doesn't need 5 dominant guys. You can do well with a couple of average players but it is a delicate balance. Rivera's back injury has sapped his strength, Rogers was supposed to be our RT, Flo is out, Johnson is trying to play 10 days after surgery. All these things take a toll and make us suck. Our only decent depth is behind LA -- and he's playing pretty well. We don't need anymore huge signings -- we need to continue to develop young linemen.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
Runyan is starting to slow down and is on the wrong side of 30, I'd stay away, we don't need another Riveria.

I agree, no need to bring in Runyan on the tail-end of his career.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
hendog said:

How old are these guys? I am tired of the older guys.....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Give me Jon Runyan & Kevin Mawae as FA's next yr and draft

And a good OL coach. When you have a problem that big (Our OL) then go the extra mile to fix it.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
abersonc said:
You just can't have every lineman making over 4 million a year. Daniel Snyder isn't running this team so that won't happen.

An o-line doesn't need 5 dominant guys. You can do well with a couple of average players but it is a delicate balance. Rivera's back injury has sapped his strength, Rogers was supposed to be our RT, Flo is out, Johnson is trying to play 10 days after surgery. All these things take a toll and make us suck. Our only decent depth is behind LA -- and he's playing pretty well. We don't need anymore huge signings -- we need to continue to develop young linemen.

We need to get some talented enough on the roster though....IMO Pettiti is the only one with a future on the roster...have no clue with Columbo...he is gravy if he pans out.

Peterman....barely made active roster for first time....Tucker?...Please!

Need at least one OT and OG at a minimum in this draft....first day.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Vertigo_17 said:
I agree, no need to bring in Runyan on the tail-end of his career.

The problem with FAs is that most are going to be at the tail end of their careers. A guy comes out of college at 22 or 23 (linemen tend to redshirt so they can get bigger), he does 5 or 6 years on his rookie deal. Finally when he's free he's almost 30 and already he's outlived the average NFL player. Time just isn't on your side with these guys. It's all about drafting and developing.

TheHustler

Reaction score
The problem is we have pro-bowlers at the least important OL positions, gaurd. :( If we had pro bowl tackles and rookie gaurds, we'd probably be okay.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
Peterman....barely made active roster for first time.

I don't think that reflects on Peterman though -- that's more about Gurode backing up 2 positions.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I don't think that reflects on Peterman though -- that's more about Gurode backing up 2 positions.

Possibly....but we felt a huge need to go get an average OG in FA. Another thing that tells me this kid would be average at best.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hiero said:
What we dont need is more old ppl on the line.

I agree, but I don't want any rookies either. I want a couple of veterans in there.

Around 30 would be a solid age. I think mawae is like 35. No thanks.

hendog

Reaction score
Hiero said:
What we dont need is more old ppl on the line.

Well throw out what we need then.Don't just critisize. KM is one of top 3 centers int the game and Runyan is a big, mean, nasty SOB who doesn't get blown off the ball. If you want to draft all rookies and then have an all -rookie really young line boy that will work out great. We are an O Line from being an outstanding team. By the time we develop enough good young talent ont the line other parts of our team will be gone ie; Free agency.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rack said:
And a good OL coach. When you have a problem that big (Our OL) then go the extra mile to fix it.

That's what I think we need... a real good OL coach. I do think we have some talent there... not enough, clearly... but we do have some.

Here's what I'd like to see:

Free agency: LeCharles Bently for C

Draft: Best 2nd round G available.

Coaching: A true, seasoned OL coach with a reputation for building a tough, hardnosed OL.

I think we'll be okay at T. Flo will be back and I think Petitti, with another year's strength training and seasoning will be okay. I also think Columbo has a chance to be a really good player if he's healthy.

Peterman is a brawler. I still have high hopes for him. Who did we think he'd beat out to start? Larry Allen? Rivera? I knew he didn't have a chance in heck of starting with those two ahead of him. Next year he'll be another year removed from knee surgery and have another year strength training and I could see him definately taking Rivera's spot.

If we can get an OG to groom behind Larry and Bently for the C position, we can be set on the interior of the OL. Al Johnson would be a great backup to Bently and if Johnson continues to improve his strength... who knows, Bently could go over to G when Larry retires. We'd have a lot of options.

A line of: Adams, Allen, Bentley, Peterman, Petitti/Columbo doesn't look too bad to me. With good coaching, that group should be able to do more than fine.

I mean, we can't replace them all... We need to see if Peterman can be a player and how much improvement Petitti will show. Finding guys in the draft... especially the lower rounds like Petitti... can help a team get really good in these days of parody. So we need to find out if we really hit on a player there or not. Did we hit on Columbo? We need to find out.

As we saw earlier this season when Flo was in... we can hide one position on the offensive line... give them extra help. But we can't do two.

Bentley would be the key. I think he would solidify the whole interior of the line.