Give Me Your Draft Redo

starfan1

Reaction score
So my thoughts are we don’t know how these folks are going to turn out it’s far too early for a redraft

secondly most redrafts are simply these are who I want not necessarily who the cowboys covet

there are 31 other teams drafting things don’t always go the way you want them to.

the only pick I question is 99 and I’m excited to see training camp

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If you go back in the past... the present day you left from becomes your past. And that past that you've traveled to then becomes your present day. And you can't change your past (that you traveled from) when you're in your present day (that you traveled too).

Smart Hulk said that.
I appreciate the reply. I'm only more confused now about what's going on here. I'm a firm believer in not messing with the whole space-time continuum thing.

BTW, much respect to Smart Hulk :bow:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Probably should have a running thread during the draft where you make the pick while the Cowboys are on the clock. That would have everyone's picks are on record in one place and it's not a hindsight redo.
Yes. Would be fun.
We'd probably have to accept whatever trades they did as our own so we'd have the same picks, which is fine.
But absolutely!

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'd say with the way the first round fell, we could only for sure do an honest redraft with the first two picks.
After that, it's no longer real, as we can hold off taking players that lasted longer than most thought.
But 1st two picks would be straight-up legit.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Notice I took him at 84 and not 75. The fact is, when you look at who is available at 84, without taking into consideration when other players were taken after the Cowboys pick, Osa is probably the best defensive player on the board at that point. Since I took Slater as 12, it would have been too soon to look at offensive line, or a player like Ben Cleveland who I think is a beast. They could replace Connor Williams with Cleveland and gain strength at the point of attack but lose some blocking ability as a pulling guard. I suppose Browning could have been the pick there, but I took Surratt earlier and I have a target on Derrick Barnes in the 4th or 5th round. I never expected him to go early in the 4th but apparently Detroit loved him too. For me, the problem in the 3rd was McNeill and Milton Williams getting taken ahead of the 75th pick. That was a bummer.

yes you nailed it. McNeil and Milton.

osi in the 4th, no that’s fine.

slater? Cmon…..taking parsons was the right call.

our defense has a real chance to make big improvements this year.

Creeper

Reaction score
yes you nailed it. McNeil and Milton.

osi in the 4th, no that’s fine.

slater? Cmon…..taking parsons was the right call.

our defense has a real chance to make big improvements this year.

It is a close call between Slater and Parsons at 12, but my reason for taking Slater, and if you look at my posts you will see I was not a big Slater fan pre-draft, is that Slater will fix my big issue with the OL. While Parsons is a good player too, I don't think he will really make a big impact on the defense no matter how well he plays. I just think Slater would plug in immediately and replace Connor Williams, or if Collins can't play because of the hip surgery, Slater can start at RT and the Cowboys lose nothing. Or, they can move Collins inside again and Slater can be a healthy starter at RT. In any case, the the lineup of Smith , Slater, Biadasz, Martin, Collins looks really strong to me while Parsons, LVE and Jaylon looks only a little better because two out of 3 are weak links. Plus, I would hope to get a LB in the 3rd. Remember, at 12 the Cowboys would have no idea Jabril Cox would be available to them at 115.

jnday

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief the only reason Kazee was probably even available was because of injury. He doesn't have a career of a jag. If Moehrig has the career Kazee has that would be considered a very good pick. Kazee can at least say he lead the league in interceptions...

I'm not saying I would've had a issue with Moehrig because I wouldn't have. But I also understand he wasn't good enough to start here.
Will Kazee even be available to play in the first few games? From my understanding, he will not have recovered. If he was healthy without the injury issue, he probably would have been out of the Dallas FA budget. I didn’t really care which safety they would have drafted, but the attempt to draft a solution to the safety problem would have been appreciated. Every year it is the same problems. They are constantly trying to convert CBs to safeties. They sign low end FAs that are injured or just really bad which prolongs the problem. Why can’t they draft a safety and fix the problem? Draft after draft goes by and safety is a problem before and after those drafts. Dallas deserves year after year of defensive failures due to the safety position.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It is a close call between Slater and Parsons at 12, but my reason for taking Slater, and if you look at my posts you will see I was not a big Slater fan pre-draft, is that Slater will fix my big issue with the OL. While Parsons is a good player too, I don't think he will really make a big impact on the defense no matter how well he plays. I just think Slater would plug in immediately and replace Connor Williams, or if Collins can't play because of the hip surgery, Slater can start at RT and the Cowboys lose nothing. Or, they can move Collins inside again and Slater can be a healthy starter at RT. In any case, the the lineup of Smith , Slater, Biadasz, Martin, Collins looks really strong to me while Parsons, LVE and Jaylon looks only a little better because two out of 3 are weak links. Plus, I would hope to get a LB in the 3rd. Remember, at 12 the Cowboys would have no idea Jabril Cox would be available to them at 115.

I see Parsons as the obvious pick. Cowboys need to fix the defense #1 without question and they went a long way towards doing that. Parsons is a big part of that. Slater, although a very good prospect would have pushed the can down the road again.

Cox and Parson are completely different LBers.

LVE and Jaylon are gone after this season. Parsons and Cox are replacements.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Taking players earlier than where they were drafted is fair, and I think you are trying to be honest with your redo, but it's really difficult to be completely honest. During the draft, you wouldn't know if Barmore or Holland or Moehrig was going to drop to your pick. At what point would you have traded up to get them? Would you have traded up into the first for Moehrig since you don't know if he would make it to the second? Same with Barmore? Or would your plan been to only trade up if one of them made it to the second? Those are things that have to be figured out independent of where the players were taken to have a true, honest redo.
I wouldve traded up as high as I coulda in the early 2nd without giving up everything. Talking Jets ATL picks.

plasticman

Reaction score
My entire draft strategy would have been different because my theory on building a team is different.

If I get a 1st round pick in the top half of the 1st round, I'm either drafting a lineman or I am trading down. I don't want to draft skill players high in the 1st round. The best that could happen, I would have to overpay to keep him after four seasons. I would prefer a good opportunity to keep my high end 1st rounders a little longer without fracturing the cap.

So I'm taking Slater with the #12.

I take LB Owusu-Koramoah with the #44.

With the three #3 picks, I go crazy over DB's. My desired attributes would not place a premium on height, but measured productivity. My 3rd round would have included at least 2 DB's, one would be Molden, the other Ambry Thomas or Paulson Adebo. I would keep DT Osa.

I like Cox for the 4th pick but instead of taking Ball, I would have selected S Tyree Gillespie.

In the 5th round I double down and take S Joshua Bledsoe.

I probably would have tried to trade my 6's and my 7 rounders to move back up into the 5th round....and taken EDGE Adetokunbo Ogundeji.

so:
1. OT Slater
2. DE Owusu
3. LB Osa
3. CB Molden
3. CB Thomas
4. LB Cox
4. S Gillespie
5. DE Ogundeji
5. S. Bledsoe

Yeah! Let Tony and Troy try to pronounce those names on live TV!

In all, I end up with

1 OT
2 DE
2 LB
2 S
2 CB