WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Givens' price may be too high for Texans
By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Today was another busy day for the Texans, who lost their first unrestricted free agent, signed a restricted free agent to an offer sheet and spent most of the afternoon with New England receiver David Givens.

Givens, one of the prime free-agent prospects, wants $25 million over five years. That's out of the Texans' ballpark.

Givens, a Humble native, is headed to Nashville to visit with the Titans. If Tennessee comes closes to the $25-million demand, the Titans may get the four-year veteran.

The Texans were excited about the possibility of signing Givens and starting him opposite Andre Johnson. Late Saturday night, the Texans said Boston-based agent Brad Blank informed them that Givens was going to re-sign with New England.

This morning, Givens came to Houston as scheduled, told the Texans there had been some miscommunication and that he was definitely interested in returning to his hometown team.

Unfortunately for the Texans, Givens left Reliant Stadium without a contract. They still haven't given up on him, but the price is too high.

LINK

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I would too if I had seen the Randle El deal.

Yeah, Washington pretty much set the market for second-rate receivers. Statistically, Givens is a much better *receiver* than Randle El, as well.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dale said:
Yeah, Washington pretty much set the market for second-rate receivers. Statistically, Givens is a much better *receiver* than Randle El, as well.
The question is, will anyone cave to the demands? Or will they make him take a lesser deal by playing hard ball?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Hostile said:
The question is, will anyone cave to the demands? Or will they make him take a lesser deal by playing hard ball?

I think the question is, will the rest of the league realize that Dan Snyder is a moron and not pay 31 million for a #3 WR/KR. My guess is that the rest of the league just tells guys that look at what Randle El got to either got and sign with the skins or get real.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:
Givens, a Humble native, is headed to Nashville to visit with the Titans. If Tennessee comes closes to the $25-million demand, the Titans may get the four-year veteran.
*rim-shot*

Talk about ironic .......

:laugh2:

Bluefin

Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
If Randle EL got what he got Givens should get a 10 year $100 million contract.
Randle El turned down the Bears offer of six years for 18 million with 8 million to sign in favor of Danny's 7 years for 31 million with 11.5 to sign.

Now just try and picture what Terrell Owens is going to come out asking for after his release this week.

No way Jerry and Bill can try to bring that nut into the fold, even if Keyshawn Johnson is grumbling behind the scenes about wanting a new deal.

The Broncos will step to the plate and sign TO.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Monte51Coleman said:
Don't write us off yet. He would look purty good in our 5 receiver set! ;)
I'd agree.

He'd look awfully good in our 3 WR sets with Crayton also taking turns.

But not for that kind of money.

He's a good player though. He made Brady look very good in some pressure games in their runs.

I wish he'd at least stop in Dallas and have lunch with the Cowboys before going somewhere else.

He's be a much less expensive option than a TO and Dallas could still draft a young WR in this draft to make the WR corp a big strength immedaitely and for the future.

Hmmm.

parcellswaterboy