Glenn, Davis, and Crayton Charity Bowling Blurb

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Marlboro Team Penske Texas Race Weekend Notes
Posted in IRL Team News on Jun 9, 2005 at 6:10 PM

1ST ANNUAL SAM HORNISH JR. CELEBRITY BOWLING TOURNAMENT A SUCCESS
Sam Hornish Jr. was in Ft. Worth hosting the 1st Annual Sam Hornish Jr. Celebrity Bowling Tournament to help kick-off the Bombardier Learjet 500 race weekend at Texas Motor Speedway. The tournament raised more than $47,000 for the Texas Chapter of Speedway Charities, which benefits more than 150 charitable organizations throughout Northern Texas.

On-hand to provide their support were fellow IndyCar Series drivers Helio Castroneves, Bryan Herta, Vitor Meira and A.J. Foyt IV as well as former IndyCar driver Johnny Rutherford and IRL President and COO Brian Barnhart. In addition, other celebrity bowlers included Dallas Cowboys Terry Glenn, Keith Davis and Patrick Crayton; ABC/ESPN's Jamie Little; NASCAR Craftsmen Truck drivers Brendan Gaughan and David Starr; Olympic Gold Medalist Dana Vollmer; and Professional Bowlers Association star Danny Wiseman.

The tournament consisted of 24 teams each bowling two games, with the two highest-scoring teams meeting in a Championship round. The Domino's Pizza and Bud Light teams advanced to the finals, with Hornish Jr. acting as a celebrity bowler for the Domino's team, which ended up prevailing as the Champions.

"When we first talked about doing the bowling tournament, I thought it was a good idea and just hoped we could get somefolks to show up, have fun and raise money for charity," said Hornish Jr. "Well, last night's event surpassed all of my expectations. I thought for an inaugural event it was very successful, and, most importantly, we were able to raise more than $47,000 for Speedway Charities. I really want to thank the sponsors, celebrities, and everyone that attended, as well as all the folks who worked so hard to put it together. It was great that I got to bowl in the finals as a substitute on the winning team - I just hope people don't think it was rigged! I look forward to next year's event and raising even more money."

THE STORY BEHIND HELIO'S T-SHIRT
You may have seen the photo this morning of Helio Castroneves wearing a Danica Patrick t-shirt, but do you know the story behind it? Aside from making a bold fashion statement at the 1st Annual Sam Hornish Jr. Celebrity Bowling Tournament, Castroneves was in fact making good on a bet he made with Patrick during the month of May. The 30 year-old two-time Indianapolis 500 winner placed a wager with Patrick about the finish of this year's Indy 500. The driver who finished lower than the other would have to wear that drivers' t-shirt at a public appearance. As Castroneves finished ninth to Patrick's
fourth, he chose last night's event as the venue to display his loss, so he wore the t-shirt for all to see.

CASTRONEVES HITS THE GRILL IN TEXAS
After a night of eating crow and bowling, Helio Castroneves had enough strength to come out to Texas Motor Speedway this morning to tape a segment for "A Taste of the Southwest" with Dean Fearing, the Chef of the award-winning Restaurant at the Mansion on Turtle Creek. During the segment, Castroneves learned how to prepare mango chicken with bleu cheese coleslaw. While he was busy trying his hand at gourmet cooking, he also took the time to educate Fearing about life on the road as a professional racecar driver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------