Glenn nominated for GMC Defensive Player of the Week

dooomsday

Reaction score
FYI: Not quite finished.

Jaguars | Glenn nominated for GMC Defensive Player of the Week
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:02:49 -0700

NFL.com reports Jacksonville Jaguars CB Aaron Glenn has been nominated for the GMC Defensive Player of the Week Award for Week 8. Glenn had four solo tackles and a 28-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Great!!! Hope he wins, he was nothing but class here. I liked him alot. Lord knows we could still use him..

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
he won't win. vrabel or cromarte(sp) will win. i would vote for the chargers cb

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dooomsday;1737053 said:
FYI: Not quite finished.

Jaguars | Glenn nominated for GMC Defensive Player of the Week
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:02:49 -0700

NFL.com reports Jacksonville Jaguars CB Aaron Glenn has been nominated for the GMC Defensive Player of the Week Award for Week 8. Glenn had four solo tackles and a 28-yard interception return for a touchdown.

I hope he gets it. Good guy and I was glad to have him on the team.

sago1

Reaction score
I could understand that the Cowboys believed Reeves would be able to take Glenn's place. I just had a problem with their believing that Nate Jones would be better then Glenn. For what it is worth though, I do think the Cowboys cut Glenn because of his ($1.8?) contract (which guaranteed if he still on the team when season opened) but planned to sign him few days later. Glenn surprised them when he signed elsewhere.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Glenn was beaten badly by a Tampa WR, #19, on the Bucs last drive. Garcia could not deliver the ball. That would have lost the game for the Jags had Garcia been able to connect.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1737141 said:
Glenn was beaten badly by a Tampa WR, #19, on the Bucs last drive. Garcia could not deliver the ball. That would have lost the game for the Jags had Garcia been able to connect.
He bit on a double move with safety help over the top. His ability to jump routes is why they won the game.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Nate Jones was nominated for "Best Dresser" in high school.

Take that, Aaron Glenn !!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1737156 said:
Nate Jones was nominated for "Best Dresser" in high school.

Take that, Aaron Glenn !!

Glenn was not playing special teams and as the 4th CB I think you need to fill that area. I loved having Glenn here but I do understand Dallas going with Newman, Henry and Reeves along with Nate Jones as 4th CB/Special teams.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1737163 said:
Glenn was not playing special teams and as the 4th CB I think you need to fill that area. I loved having Glenn here but I do understand Dallas going with Newman, Henry and Reeves along with Nate Jones as 4th CB/Special teams.

He didn't play special teams any of the other years he was here either as a backup, didn't stop us from finding a roster spot for him.

Something tells me it had more to do with $$$ than special teams. And a little bit of hubris by Stewart and Wade that they could "coach'em up" into something servicable.

dooomsday

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1737165 said:
He didn't play special teams any of the other years he was here either as a backup, didn't stop us from finding a roster spot for him.

Something tells me it had more to do with $$$ than special teams. And a little bit of hubris by Stewart and Wade that they could "coach'em up" into something servicable.

We could have used the body, no question about it. We are really 3 deep which aint enough vs a 4 WR set! And thats before inury.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I always liked glenn. I am not upset he is or is not here.

I keep seeing people talk about his int and now this nomination.

Did any of you watch the game? He was beaten twice on the last drive of the game. Garcia missed both throws. The second one Ike hilliard ran an out and up and Aarron glenn bought the out hook line and sinker....Jeff garcia over threw him by about 5 yards, it was a horrendous throw. Hilliard had about 10 to 12 yards on glenn.

If it was a good throw, hilliard walks into the endzone and the bucs win the game, at glenn's expense.

Sorry for rambling but I get the feeling people didnt watch that game, they just saw the glenn highlight.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1737165 said:

He was the 3rd CB in a league where 3 WR sets are pretty much common. Once Reeves was given that job and promoted to the 3rd CB Glenn became expendable in large part because he does not play special teams.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1737350 said:
He was the 3rd CB in a league where 3 WR sets are pretty much common. Once Reeves was given that job and promoted to the 3rd CB Glenn became expendable in large part because he does not play special teams.

Nate Jones had 3 special teams tackles last year. He is replaceable on special teams. It is not about special teams.

Putting Jacques Reeves in this argument makes no sense to me. I dont think his job was ever on the line. He is a decent corner. He is smart, fast and he actually is a contributor on special teams with 13 tackles last year.

Its about not paying veterans. that is what this league is all about today, that is one of the main reasons why special teams tackling is so poor. If you think devin hester is that much better than any other return man in the history of the league you are naive.

Look at our team. Our leading special teams tackler was ryan fowler. He had 24 tackles last year. He was outstanding. before the salary cap he would never have left our team. We would have paid him what he was worth to be a backup situational player and a special teams ace. But in todays nfl Ryan Fowler is starting for the titans.

While we are on this sp teams topic, our teams need to be better but in fairness to bruce read We did lose fowler and Abe Elam between the two they accounted for 39 tackles. Hopefully guys are going to step up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theebs;1737365 said:
Nate Jones had 3 special teams tackles last year. He is replaceable on special teams. It is not about special teams.

Putting Jacques Reeves in this argument makes no sense to me. I dont think his job was ever on the line. He is a decent corner. He is smart, fast and he actually is a contributor on special teams with 13 tackles last year.

Its about not paying veterans. that is what this league is all about today, that is one of the main reasons why special teams tackling is so poor. If you think devin hester is that much better than any other return man in the history of the league you are naive.

Look at our team. Our leading special teams tackler was ryan fowler. He had 24 tackles last year. He was outstanding. before the salary cap he would never have left our team. We would have paid him what he was worth to be a backup situational player and a special teams ace. But in todays nfl Ryan Fowler is starting for the titans.

While we are on this sp teams topic, our teams need to be better but in fairness to bruce read We did lose fowler and Abe Elam between the two they accounted for 39 tackles. Hopefully guys are going to step up.

Glenn was not making that much money I don't think money had anything to do with it. As for Reeve he took over the job as the 3rd CB that was manned by Glenn so I do think it is relative to this argument. I would agree Glenn play was not looking very good in pre-season and that played a part but I also think when you are sitting at the 4th CB spot you have to be involved in special teams to have a spot on the roster.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1737371 said:
Glenn was not making that much money I don't think money had anything to do with it. As for Reeve he took over the job as the 3rd CB that was manned by Glenn so I do think it is relative to this argument. I would agree Glenn play was not looking very good in pre-season and that played a part but I also think when you are sitting at the 4th CB spot you have to be involved in special teams to have a spot on the roster.

I never really saw the bad play everyone is referring to in the preseason. I think that is something that hit the media on a slow day and then everyone ran with it. I really dont think Aarron Glenn played poor in the preseason, he looked like the same guy as the last two seasons to me.

He was making enough money for a guy at his age to be expendable. Guys his age tend to get hurt, then you are paying for his production, whatever level of play that might be and you are not getting because he is injured.

I dont know the exact answer. I do think it was age and money. I dont think his preseason performance warranted being cut and I do not think special teams played any role in it.

We have a new special teams coach and basically have had an overhaul of our units because of players leaving anyway, so I think having that many moving parts already one more didnt hurt. Nate jones 3 tackles on special teams didnt save his roster spot. Versatility did.

If you look close at our special teams we lost Ryan Fowler, Abe Elam, Al Singleton and lousaka polite. Between the four of them that is a total of 49 tackles. The team as a whole had 158 tackles. So that is a big chunk, 31% is alot of turnover. So the special teams were being redsigned and I dont think glenns ability or inability to play special teams was important.