Gonna fly first class for the first time

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm taking a trip to Boston in April. For once maybe I won't be terribly uncomfortable crammed into a tiny seat. My usual econo-coach ticket would have been just over $300, but I checked the other classes out of curiosity. They had something called econo-premium which would have run $576. Next up was business class for a whopping $2880. Wow. After that was first class for $800 including taxes. That was way less than business class. The econo-premium was already almost 600, so I figured I would pay another 200 for first class.

I have a problem with back pain, headaches, prostate pain. I have all kinds of pain. I'm always really uncomfortable flying coach. 800 bucks was affordable, so I decided to give it a try. I'm looking forward to for once being pampered on a flight and actually being comfortable. I'll be on American Airlines, which is a pretty good airline. An extra 500 bucks for being more comfortable. I must be getting old. I've been checking higher class prices for a while whenever I take a trip. This is the first time I've actually gone for it. I was surprised that business class was a ridiculous $2880, more than 2 grand more than first class. That must have been some kind of glitch.

Anyway, for once I'm looking forward to a flight instead of dreading it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You're going to be pissed because the flight ends so quickly after you shell out all that extra money hah.

This is why I always appreciated when my employment would book first class for me. I used to have a Platinum Delta Airlines American Express card. When flights would get overbooked, sometimes they would upgrade me to 1st class to make room for more passengers in coach. That was always nice, but it usually only happened to flights to the Caribbean rather than domestic flights to and from Dallas / New York.

ENJOY! ....all the free wine!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Business class might have been tight and affecting the fare.

I used to fly a lot back in the day, when even smoking cigars was allowed, and two of the companies I worked for paid for me to fly 1st class and I got spoiled. Back in the day of Braniff, they had the best 1st class with real leather seats, top shelf hooch and great food. Might be why they went under?

I had two interesting Presidents of the companies I worked for and I was in a pretty high level sales part for them selling the highest cost items in our category and their thinking was they wanted me to feel 1st class. They wanted me to fly 1st class, stay in the best hotels and eat the best food with an unlimited expense account. Ya know what? It worked. I didn't think cost, I thought value and I fought for my company and the value it offered.

One thing I would do is find out if the flight was a dead head and they were changing services and if they were, I'd be really friendly with the stewardess, as they were called back then, and get a go bag, usually a barf bag, full of little bottles of liqueurs. I must have had, at one time, a hundred bottles each of Amaretto. Grand Marnier and Kahlua and countless corked bottles of wine. I carried a big garment bag with two large outside pockets and a couple of times they filled the pockets. My wife used to ask me "just how are you getting all of this"? I said "just being nice to them and asking. You know, I am a salesman".

Enjoy the flight and every now and then, stand up and stretch for all of the coach passengers to see you and remember when you used to look up front and wish you were up there.

GMO415

Reaction score
tenor.gif

nobody

Reaction score
I got bumped to first class once on a business trip. It was awesome. The chairs are so much more comfortable.