Gonna get barter-paid for writing Amazon reviews

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
It's been a hobby for me for a while to review the stuff I buy on Amazon. I've gone into great detail who the item was for, and whether or not I thought it was worth it. I've usually included pictures. People kept clicking on "helpful review," and I just kept reviewing stuff.

Yesterday, I got a surprise email from Amazon. If I want, they'll send me free stuff to review. They won't simply send me stuff. I get to choose it. After all, it wouldn't make sense to have me review something that I'm not qualified to review, like women's hygiene products or something.

But they gave me a big list of stuff to choose from. I picked some seat covers for my car, a protector wallet, and a USB hub. Soon as I receive that stuff, I'll review it exactly as I would have if I had bought it.

I need to be careful, though. The stuff I receive counts as income, even if it's product and not money. So I'm just going to pick stuff I actually intend to use. It would be easy to go overboard. I still also have the option to review stuff I've bought, and that stuff, of course, doesn't count as income.

I'm not allowed to sell or give away any of the stuff I receive for 6 months.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I only give a review of I really like it, or if something pissed me off about it. Then the seeler emails me, "We're a small company and can't afford a bad review." Well, stop deserving them!

I've been going into great detail and have been including pictures. I personally don't think the star rating system is adequate. What's great for one person might be lousy for someone else. That's why I always include answering the questions "Who's it for?" and "Who's it not for." For example, I bought a pot and pan rack for my kitchen, and it was dirt simple. It was just a basic bar with adjustable hooks on it, and it was only about 16 inches wide. That was perfect for me. However, someone else might have wanted something wider, more elegant looking, and with a shelf. So I covered all that stuff. Going into all this details might be why they asked me to join their Vine reviewers.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've been going into great detail and have been including pictures. I personally don't think the star rating system is adequate. What's great for one person might be lousy for someone else. That's why I always include answering the questions "Who's it for?" and "Who's it not for." For example, I bought a pot and pan rack for my kitchen, and it was dirt simple. It was just a basic bar with adjustable hooks on it, and it was only about 16 inches wide. That was perfect for me. However, someone else might have wanted something wider, more elegant looking, and with a shelf. So I covered all that stuff. Going into all this details might be why they asked me to join their Vine reviewers.
They figured, "This guy sounds so lonely. Let's give him something to do."

cowboyec

Reaction score
be awesome if they send you a time machine.
or is this how you got the one you have now.

rags747

Reaction score
You should post up some of your reviews, would love to see why Amazon sees you as so special!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Good for you. I'm sure you do well having read your creative stories here. I always try to have fun with something like that to improve my writing and it can be a stress reliever.

I used to be a top 100 Reviewer there (years ago!) but ran out of time, and also transitioned to Trip Advisor reviews because I was travelling so much.

These days, I flex my writing muscle, or what's left of it, at the Cowboys Zone. :thumbup:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

rags747

Reaction score
Excellent reviews, in depth description, some humor and gives a pretty good handle to the average consumer. I can see why they signed you up for their review program! I was surprised not to see Reviewed by Reverend Conehead! I wonder what the most expensive products that they will send to you. Maybe you can grab Xbox X or Go Pro etc. Good luck and keep us posted on some good things that you have to test out.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Excellent reviews, in depth description, some humor and gives a pretty good handle to the average consumer. I can see why they signed you up for their review program! I was surprised not to see Reviewed by Reverend Conehead! I wonder what the most expensive products that they will send to you. Maybe you can grab Xbox X or Go Pro etc. Good luck and keep us posted on some good things that you have to test out.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

They give you a list to choose from, which is smart. I don't want to end up reviewing a bunch of stuff that I'm not the right reviewer for like women's products or baby supplies or something. The stuff I'm evaluating now, and will be reviewing soon are:
1. A lumbar support cushion.
2. Faux leather car seat covers.
3. A USB hub
4. A card-protecting wallet

I picked all these because there's a decent chance I'll keep using them. Right now I'm limited to items costing less than $100, but I hope to work my way up to being allowed to review more expensive stuff.