Twitter: Good article breaking down the Cowboys 2021 cap issues

Kaiser

Reaction score
Kyle misses the obvious....
Dallas will restructure vets with large base salaries to free up massive amounts of cap space.
2021 Cap hits:
DLaw 25M : after restructure: 15M MAX more likely ~12M
Amaro Cooper 20M : after restructure 8.5Mo.

I was going to post the same thing after getting halfway through the article.

I hate this kind of clickbait "Cap Hell" nonsense, the writer knows the truth and he is still doing it for clicks. "Oh Noes! WE CAN'T TRADE DLAW AND CREATE CAP ROOM"..... but ummm, yeah, the restructures to DLaw and Cooper are written into their contracts, take a half hour to put in place and create all the room you need before your first coffee break of the morning.

But that won't sell outrage..... so here we are with this article.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I expect some surprising turnover next off-season, with some big names no longer in Dallas.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Cowboys cannot afford to bet the farm on Dak.
You cannot blow out the salary cap ceiling unless you know it will yield results.
Dak hasn't shown that he can lead the Cowboys anywhere past being the best .500 team in the NFL.
It's time to move on.
it will yield results....why? because you bet against it. anything you bet against, is the one I am betting on, because its almost a gaurantee to win..... this is based on all our previous predictions...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Kyle misses the obvious....
Dallas will restructure vets with large base salaries to free up massive amounts of cap space.
2021 Cap hits:
DLaw 25M : after restructure: 15M MAX more likely ~12M
Amaro Cooper 20M : after restructure 8.5M

So with 2 moves you have freed up 25M.
AND all this money was ALREADY Guaranteed. --meaning this costs you zero in additional money.

Can save about 8M on Zack Martin, 5-6M on Zeke.
So near 40M on 4 players with their own already guaranteed money.

Then you get into stickier areas like Tyron Smith. Or Jaylon Smith.
Guys who have seemingly shorter shelf lives.
But again quite easy to drop their cap hit.

Dallas can free up 75M in cap space in restructures.
They won't but they could and it is very likely they free up 40-55M.
And they can simply pay a larger yearly hit on Dak even after restructure if so desired to balance this money versus future caps.

Dallas was way ahead of the game in cap mgmt.
They had been cheap as dirt and paid as they went.
Now they can pull those levers and use the rainy day money during a pandemic cap.

Bottom line: Dallas does NOT have any real cap issues.
They won't be blowing and going in free agency but they NEVER do.
it was obvious the writer had an agenda to drive.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am not blaming Jerry for not signing Dak to a long term contract after the 2019 season. While Dak looked great early, he did not look like a $35 million QB for a bunch of games the second half of the season, especially the Eagles game for the division title. I also understand the Cowboys reluctance to sign Dak to a 4 year deal. Why would they want to come back to this problem again in 3 or 4 years? I think they would rather sign Dak long term.

I would hate to let Dak go, but I would hate to forego rebuilding this defense because they have no CAP space left to pay defensive players. If they have to franchise him again, it destroys their CAP structure. This is the only reason I would think about letting Dak go to free agency and drafting a QB. But beating Minnesota means they probably will not be in the running for a QB. If they are going to tank, then the Bengals game would be the time to do it. Giving Zeke $90 million, Lawrence $105 million and Jaylon Smith $68 million was a big mistake. Before signing any of those guys they should have locked up their QB. Guys like Zeke and Jaylon are expendable. Jerry mistook Zeke for Emmitt and himself for a good judge of talent.

I will say this about Lawrence. He has come on in recent games and he suffers from a severe lack of talent inside. If the Cowboys had a legit inside pass rushing threat, Lawrence would get more sacks and pressures. But even so, he is not worth $21 million a year and he never should have gotten that kind of gift from Jerry.

They can avoid the big problem by signing Dak to a long term deal, making it CAP friendly for 2021. Then they can dump Zeke in 2021 and Jaylon Smith in 2022. They have the picks to draft replacement for both of these guys in the 2021 draft.
you mean the eagles game he played with a hurt shoulder....oh, ok...he should have sat out and watched the team get blown out from the sideline.....and you would have complained what is a little injury, he should have toughed it out.

the rebuilding of the defense, which all you all speak of ain't going to happen through FA....that's futile. never works, never worked. it comes through draft. and the problem is we have missed so many, oh so many defensive drafts, with the likes of Taco, Hill, Awuzie, Gregory, Jaylon, collins, even to a degree LVE (injury prone so far). etc....all those picks should have been the foundation of a strong defense, instead they are nothing but rotational players or total busts.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goodbye Dak thanks for the POOR memories!!!

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The NFL has left the formula that works

Football, cheerleaders, beer advertisments, advertisements with pretty women, and so on

They now push social issues, race issues, politically correct stuff, and so on.

Add into that rule changes, making it a fashion show, 24/7 drama filled commentary on sports stations

NFL is starting to suck, and they are losing viewership

I don't see any reason why the cap goes up anymore

Nothing more pitiful than seeing empty stands, players and coaches on the sidelines in masks

Big contracts have to go away

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The issue isn't signing impactful FA's because they don't play in the big boy's pool. It's about how many of their own they keep and how well they draft but that will not have a major impact in 2021.

This all comes down to how good you think this team is with the pieces they now have. I didn't think this was anything more than a 9-7, at best, team with the talent they have on board.

Before the onset of injuries, how good was this team? Be honest and objective, this isn't a contender this season or next unless they blow the doors off the draft and get 3 starters out of it.

Look at the D's NY and WAS are building and look at the Cowboys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
a hungry aggie entered a pizza shop and ordered pizza. the owner asked if he would it like it cut into 6 pieces or 8. 6 said the aggie. i don't think i could eat eight. the cap is the pie. there are just so many pieces to the pie. and as history has taught us, it's always about the slice of the pie. stephen will have to be at his most creative contract negotiating this coming off season.
like the aggie joke since the pizza is the same amount no matter how its sliced..lol

the dc fo like others can easily find money for whatever they want..ive seen teams reported to have 100k letf and somehow sign 3 big FAS..they have money people that all they do like CPAs, lawyers, and many other employees to deal with the cap and contracts.

you know who doesnt? fans and media writing about it lol let the money be worked out and watch football

you look at all those deal in KC ive seen other teams just load up and not even care about the cap..they will handle it..

lockster

Reaction score
I'd let dak go, trade Elliot for anything I could get , even the last seventh, cut Crawford, think hard on t Smith, see what the market gives for Cooper, and get the J. Smith off the team. Most over rated player in the NFL history.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah because if the sign Dak to a long term contract then none of the issues in the article exist.
trading Dak and getting some picks , taking his part of the pizza and using it on defense and draft a qb of the future and use a vet bridge with a lot less resources..

signing dak not signing dak can both fix the cap..lol

this is on dak hes the only player in DC Jones' history to not help with more tam friendly structure..