Good Deeds

ethiostar

Reaction score

ethiostar

Reaction score
Billionaire Ty Warner gives woman $20,000 for her cause after asking her for directions

I often get asked by random strangers for directions. Not one to miss an opportunity, I handed him my flyer and he made a fifty dollar donation. As he drove off, I thought that was the end of our encounter... He'd returned after an hour or so. Rolling down his window, he reached out his hand and introduced himself. I immediately recognized his name. He was kind and sincere as he looked directly into my eyes... I listened as he repeated over and over that he was going to help me. That my fundraising was done. That I didn't need to worry any longer. He said he would send a check after he returned to his offices during the week.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/billionaire-ty-warner-gives-woman-20-000-her-165731962.html

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I am really going to like this thread. I hope to read a lot more stories like those.

wittenacious

Reaction score
Great thread. Came across this heartwarming story recently, to add:

Little Ellie & The Olympian: The Kindest Race Ever
--by The Huffington Post, Original Story, Aug 10, 2012

http://www.servicespace.org/inc/ckfinder/userfiles/images/dgood/slide_243200_1339595_free.jpeg

He's a world record holding sprinter from South Africa. She's a spunky 5-year-old from
Essex, England. In an inspiring series of images that have recently gone viral, the two
strangers, united only by a stubborn refusal to let double amputations stop them, race
each other in a friendly bionic foot race.

Read more: http://www.dailygood.org/view.php?sid=293

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4684115 said:
I am really going to like this thread. I hope to read a lot more stories like those.

:signmast:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I hope this will be allowed due to the religious part. If it isn't I understand. This is two kids from Arizona who live not far from my brother-in-law. I have never met them, but I sure would like to. The part that gets me is Dayton's parents at the end.

[youtube]bwwxBjpvDVQ[/youtube]

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Let's not forget our own:

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
After the first game of the season, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo pulled off the road late on a Sunday night and helped out a stranded motorist. On Tuesday, he walked up to a movie theater and noticed that a homeless man was cashing in change. Romo bought the man a ticket to see "Role Model" and then invited him to sit with he and his buddy.

I'll let Tim MacMahon of the Cowboys Blog tell the rest of the story:

Romo, who confirmed the story but didn't want to elaborate, waved [the homeless man] Doc over to sit by him and his buddy. Doc sheepishly mentioned that he hadn't showered in a few days.
"Don't worry about that," Romo said. "I'm used to locker rooms."
And so the $67 million quarterback and a man who doesn't have $6.70 to his name sat next to each other and shared laughs for 90 minutes or so.
Pretty cool story. Earlier in the day, Romo stopped by my neighborhood with actor Will Smith to participate in a pep rally for the Lake Highlands volleyball and football teams.

ethiostar

Reaction score
wittenacious;4684119 said:
Great thread. Came across this heartwarming story recently, to add:

Little Ellie & The Olympian: The Kindest Race Ever
--by The Huffington Post, Original Story, Aug 10, 2012

http://www.servicespace.org/inc/ckfinder/userfiles/images/dgood/slide_243200_1339595_free.jpeg

He's a world record holding sprinter from South Africa. She's a spunky 5-year-old from
Essex, England. In an inspiring series of images that have recently gone viral, the two
strangers, united only by a stubborn refusal to let double amputations stop them, race
each other in a friendly bionic foot race.

Read more: http://www.dailygood.org/view.php?sid=293

Hostile;4684277 said:
I hope this will be allowed due to the religious part. If it isn't I understand. This is two kids from Arizona who live not far from my brother-in-law. I have never met them, but I sure would like to. The part that gets me is Dayton's parents at the end.

[youtube]bwwxBjpvDVQ[/youtube]

Awesome stories guys.

Let's keep this thread going.

ethiostar

Reaction score
The Man Who Planted A Forest

851-640x400.jpg

More than 30 years ago, a teenager named Jadav "Molai" Payeng began planting seeds along a barren sandbar near his birthplace in India's Assam region,.......Now that once-barren sandbar is a sprawling 1,360 acre forest, home to several thousands of varieties of trees and an astounding diversity of wildlife -- including birds, deer, apes, rhino, elephants and even tigers.

wittenacious

Reaction score
Hostile;4686345 said:
Okay, how cool is this one?
Really cool! Awe inspiring, even. :)

Guess this qualifies as a great life-investment example of an answer to the woe-is-me question so many have rhetorically posited over time...
Q: "Well, what can just one person do about it?"
A: "Maybe see and apply the above story... plant your own 'seeds' for positive change, if nothing else."

ethiostar

Reaction score
Parks Worker, Gary Gaddist, Recovers Wedding Ring From Garbage Truck

"I'm a painter who takes people on outdoor painting adventures around New York City," says Carroll, 45. "On Sunday, I was teaching a painting class in Battery Park all day. I was so busy that day and cleaning my hands constantly that I didn't notice I had lost the ring," she told the New York Daily News......In fact, she didnt realize she'd lost the ring until 3:30 a.m. "I woke up and felt my left hand right way and just thought, 'Oh, my God,' because I knew I hadn't taken [my wedding ring] off,".....They [husband and Carroll] drove to Battery Park, but the trash container had already been emptied. However, at 5 a.m. Carroll's husband saw a garbage truck. "We walked over and nobody was inside. So I wrote a note," she told reporters. It started, "Hello, I believe my wedding ring is in this truck,".....Incredibly, Gaddist found the note. "I called and she explained everything, about how she lost the ring, and how she couldn't sleep after realizing it was gone," Gaddist, 42, says. "I had to go to Randalls Island, and when I got there I showed the guys the note. They said, 'If you want to look for a needle in a haystack, go ahead." Surprisingly, I didn't take long. "I took a shot and it was there,"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com////rings_n_1828857.html?utm_hp_ref=good-news

wittenacious

Reaction score
ethiostar;4688635 said:
Sorry, I just realized that I forgot to include the link to the full story.

http://www.dailygood.org/view.php?sid=298
And you SHOULD be sorry! My delicate poster sensibilities were hurt by your oversight. Clean up your act, es... or do you want to be put on the "Dez Bryant Shape-Up-or-Ship-Out Program" to give you the direction you need?

:laugh2:

ethiostar

Reaction score
wittenacious;4688752 said:
And you SHOULD be sorry! My delicate poster sensibilities were hurt by your oversight. Clean up your act, es... or do you want to be put on the "Dez Bryant Shape-Up-or-Ship-Out Program" to give you the direction you need?

:laugh2:

I will adhere to everything Dez agreed to except avoiding scrip clubs. Not for my own pleasure, of course, but so that I can teach my son about the birds and the bees. :)

wittenacious

Reaction score
ethiostar;4688850 said:
I will adhere to everything Dez agreed to except avoiding scrip clubs. Not for my own pleasure, of course, but so that I can teach my son about the birds and the bees. :)
I knew you were a great dad! Why, the things you do for the good of your beautiful children... your son, in this case.

Downright self-sacrificial. :D