Good DVD to AVI/DIVX Software

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Anybody here know of a good program that will convert DVD Files into an AVI or DivX and will make the file small?

I have already tried DVD2AVI which makes the file huge and is very pixelated

I have tried WinAVIVideoConverter but it errors out when it tries to convert.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Anybody here know of a good program that will convert DVD Files into an AVI or DivX and will make the file small?

I have already tried DVD2AVI which makes the file huge and is very pixelated

I have tried WinAVIVideoConverter but it errors out when it tries to convert.

I know a great dvd to dvd software and it ain't the crapy X copy but I am no help on this one

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PM Calico...I am sure he can help you.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
I know a great dvd to dvd software and it ain't the crapy X copy but I am no help on this one

Im looking for one of those too. Which one are you talking about because I use TMPGenc, which takes to long to convert and DVD Lab Pro seems to force your video to be 720 x 640, which cause pixelation problems when dealing with videos that are smaller.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Im looking for one of those too. Which one are you talking about because I use TMPGenc, which takes to long to convert and DVD Lab Pro seems to force your video to be 720 x 640, which cause pixelation problems when dealing with videos that are smaller.

I use DVDShrink and have had no problems so far. For the Divx help I'd reccomend checking out VideoHelp, great site for AV help.

BTW - If you figure out how to compress a DVD to Divx CD size, can you let me know please?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Yeah, I have DVD Shrink but never used it.

I have pretty much figured out that the reason why my Videos are pixelated is because the way I am recording them with LP Recording, which gives me 4 hours of recording but lowers the quality.

When I record my next Cowboys game, I am going to go with SP Recording, which is 2 hours of recording, just gotta make sure to not record commercials and half time.

Also, I always thought DVD Shrink was just for shrinking your DVD Files. How advanced are the DVD Authoring options?

- Mike G.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Have to be honest, I'm not that familar with authoring software but for the most part I'm able to do backups/burn from hard drives with DVD Shrink. I'm assuming most backup software programs do the same thing DS does, i.e. decode/shrink/re-encode/burn.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Yeah, I have DVD Shrink but never used it.

I have pretty much figured out that the reason why my Videos are pixelated is because the way I am recording them with LP Recording, which gives me 4 hours of recording but lowers the quality.

When I record my next Cowboys game, I am going to go with SP Recording, which is 2 hours of recording, just gotta make sure to not record commercials and half time.

Also, I always thought DVD Shrink was just for shrinking your DVD Files. How advanced are the DVD Authoring options?

- Mike G.

You can do a lot you can rip out secnes; Rip out the menus etc I set up a disk before where it just starts the movie playing etc. There is some good web sites listed on how everything works. The links are on the site

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
GTaylor said:
BTW - If you figure out how to compress a DVD to Divx CD size, can you let me know please?

I figured out how.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_21307953.html

The first thing is the original file. While recording, I made sure to pause the recorder when commercials, halftime, and chatting occurred to make the dvd smaller and be able to have better quality.

This last game came out to 1.4 gigs or so, and I used Xilisoft to compress it and I changed the resolution to 352x240 and used mp3 as the audio and divx 6 as the compressor.

The file conversion from DVD to AVI (DivX) came out to 466 megabytes.