Good medicine

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Neither Osa or Goldston were on any BPA lists at the time. Not even close.

EVERY pick in the 3rd round was a head scratcher. All 3 were slotted to go lower then where they were picked.

Who’s BPA list? Slotted to go lower by who? Mel Kiper? Walters? You?

Odiggy, Golston, and Wright look like good picks to me. Going to find out real soon.

Teams started drafting need over talent around the 3rd round and Cox fell. There wasn’t as much tape on players this year, so the BPA lists and slotting of players was expected to vary more from team to team this year than years past.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who’s BPA list? Slotted to go lower by who? Mel Kiper? Walters? You?

Odiggy, Golston, and Wright look like good picks to me. Going to find out real soon.

Teams started drafting need over talent around the 3rd round and Cox fell. There wasn’t as much tape on players this year, so the BPA lists and slotting of players was expected to vary more from team to team this year than years past.

Are there other lists you go by? Good picks to you? You mean after you had to look up who they were when their names were called?

Oh ya, going to find out real soon. Lets hope am I am wrong. For the record, Osa I have some hope for although there were two other DT's that went right in front of us that I liked better. Wright and Goldston look like complete long shots. I dont expect either to play much this year save a string of injuries.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
This could be a very good draft class but they definitely passed up better talent and reached for need.

Jets reached for need. SF reached for need. Some even think Surtain and Horn were reaches. Eagles reached taking Smith in my opinion. Teams were reaching all over the place, some with top picks.

Cowboys definitely did not reach for Parsons. Joseph was not a reach in my opinion. Odiggy and Golston were not reaches either. Maybe a one-round reach for Wright. While early, Wright looks good so far. Ball definitely was not a reach as far as talent.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Are there other lists you go by? Good picks to you? You mean after you had to look up who they were when their names were called?

Oh ya, going to find out real soon. Lets hope am I am wrong. For the record, Osa I have some hope for although there were two other DT's that went right in front of us that I liked better. Wright and Goldston look like complete long shots. I dont expect either to play much this year save a string of injuries.

Yes, I had to look their names up. I didn’t follow college football much this year. I check a lot of mocks to get a feel for where people are guessing. First round mocks are pretty close up until around pick 15 and then things go differently. Mocks can be off a couple rounds for players. It depends on many factors. Can’t predict when or how other teams are going to draft players. Teams are adjusting strategy on the fly.

After the draft I looked at the players taken and tried to piece the puzzle together. The Cowboys chose good players and there was solid logic for taking those players at that time.

I think the Cowboys drafted one of the best classes of this draft. I also think the Cowboys got the best UFA class this year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jets reached for need. SF reached for need. Some even think Surtain and Horn were reaches. Eagles reached taking Smith in my opinion. Teams were reaching all over the place, some with top picks.

Cowboys definitely did not reach for Parsons. Joseph was not a reach in my opinion. Odiggy and Golston were not reaches either. Maybe a one-round reach for Wright. While early, Wright looks good so far. Ball definitely was not a reach as far as talent.
I knew the post draft evaluations were going to be just like this, because the pre draft evaluations were blind to the average fan.
Most fall in love with the name familiarity more than having a true understanding of all the talent, NFL franchises cant even come close to evaluating all available talent.
I buy into knowing who and what your investing into and if these rooks all share that hard working lunch pale mentality ethic, than they succeed with this draft class.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes, I had to look their names up. I didn’t follow college football much this year. I check a lot of mocks to get a feel for where people are guessing. First round mocks are pretty close up until around pick 15 and then things go differently. Mocks can be off a couple rounds for players. It depends on many factors. Can’t predict when or how other teams are going to draft players. Teams are adjusting strategy on the fly.

After the draft I looked at the players taken and tried to piece the puzzle together. The Cowboys chose good players and there was solid logic for taking those players at that time.

I think the Cowboys drafted one of the best classes of this draft. I also think the Cowboys got the best UFA class this year.

Not from my research. I saw reaches on players that should have gone later in the draft. Some much later.

As far as the logic, I'm not sure you would call it logic. More of an explanation of why they took the player. Taking Wright in the 3rd when they could have gotten him in the 5th isnt logic to me. Settling on OSA because they got caught sleeping on McNeil and Milton isnt logic to me.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Not from my research. I saw reaches on players that should have gone later in the draft. Some much later.

As far as the logic, I'm not sure you would call it logic. More of an explanation of why they took the player. Taking Wright in the 3rd when they could have gotten him in the 5th isnt logic to me. Settling on OSA because they got caught sleeping on McNeil and Milton isnt logic to me.

Your research? Jerry spent $10-20M on a team to research. That team spent thousands of hours researching. You spent $50 maybe and watched 1/1000 of the tape they did.

You didn’t even know who Wright was yet knew he would be available in the 5th round. Yeah, right. The Cowboys traded this year’s 5th rd pick away last year IIRC. Probably a factor for taking a player earlier.

You imply that the Cowboys were sleeping and McNeil and Milton slipped by. Maybe teams just weren’t interested in trading. Maybe Diggs and Golston were rated higher by the Cowboys.

snapper

Reaction score
I don't think every draft pick makes the team. I am however happy with the UDFAs. Vasher will be hard to cut.

It's all about the competition. If guys were not competing for their jobs before, they will be this training camp.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Your research? Jerry spent $10-20M on a team to research. That team spent thousands of hours researching. You spent $50 maybe and watched 1/1000 of the tape they did.

You didn’t even know who Wright was yet knew he would be available in the 5th round. Yeah, right. The Cowboys traded this year’s 5th rd pick away last year IIRC. Probably a factor for taking a player earlier.

You imply that the Cowboys were sleeping and McNeil and Milton slipped by. Maybe teams just weren’t interested in trading. Maybe Diggs and Golston were rated higher by the Cowboys.

Nobody still knows who wright is. LOL

Jerry has spent billions on the Cowboys and hasnt been able to put a SB team together for 30 years. Keeps blowing defensive picks. Everything else I liked. The 3rd round was a disaster.

Or maybe they werent rated higher and they had to settle.

All you guys love the lists, the grades, and the pundits until they dont like something. Then they are always wrong or unreliable.

If you liked the Wright pick then you would like any pick.

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Nobody still knows who wright is. LOL

Jerry has spend billions on the Cowboys and hasnt been able to put a SB team together for 30 years. Keeps blowing defensive picks. Everything else I liked. The 3rd round was a disaster.

Or maybe they werent rated higher and they had to settle.

All you guys love the lists, the grades, and the pundits until they dont like something. Then they are always wrong or unreliable.

If you liked the Wright pick then you would like any pick.

You’re grasping at anything now.

CoachD

Reaction score
Im loving this draft class. The warming up period with the public interviews. I dont see a dislikeable guy in the group. Of your right, that don't mean shut Mr. Natural but they seem way better then the bad actors I was reading about. I wont bother with the disclaimers about their not even in pads yet that's obvious.

I like the "screw the media pundits attitude", we know our stuff and we're taking who we want and where we value them. Judge the results in due time we'll take the heat. And the heat will be coming like a freight train. First Tampa Bay and next Justin Herbert We needed exactly what we got.
Oh so you feel good about Cox and his shoulder that may never be right? What about Josh Ball you feel good about him too after knowing that he beat the **** out of his girlfriend multiple times, inspiring isn't it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You’re grasping at anything now.

Am I allowed to NOT like a pick few people liked or is that going to offend you? You are actually the ONLY guy that liked the Wright pick. Even the homers conceded they didn't like the pick.

Lets talk about straws here. You are trying to tell me that Jerry knows what he is doing and I should just accept it. Talk about laughable?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Am I allowed to NOT like a pick few people liked or is that going to offend you? You are actually the ONLY guy that liked the Wright pick. Even the homers conceded they didn't like the pick.

Lets talk about straws here. You are trying to tell me that Jerry knows what he is doing and I should just accept it. Talk about laughable?

I have no idea what pick you like or don’t. You are free to not like any pick. Or like any pick.

By the way, don’t concern yourself with offending me. You are not capable of offending me in any way. I am not weak.

You are free to accept or reject anything you like. Believe what you like.

I believe Jerry and team had a very good draft and signed some very good UFAs.

What is laughable is you and your little draft board ridiculing a team of people who had a successful draft.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

Quit trying to use logic and common sense with him. It won’t work.

plasticman

Reaction score
What trouble? His issue was pot, which is now legal to use in the NFL. He no longer has any issues.
From the perspective of being an NFL player, Gregory's issue wasn't pot. Gregory's issue was that pot was more important than football and the financial security it offered. Think about that. Pot is not physically addictive. The real issue is his mindset and how dependable he could be under that mindset. Maybe he's found enough help to deal with it. Maybe.

The point is, gambling results in a probability of success thus implying a possibility of failure. If a team is going to gamble on a player they draft, they should limit those risks to the 3rd day.

The old Cowboys of the 70's certainly took risks. They drafted a quarterback in the 12th round that had a 6 year military commitment. They drafted a great RB in the fifth round because he had already committed to a different league. They drafted Olympic champion Carl Lewis in the 12th round of the 1984 draft even though he never played college football. They drafted Air Force Academy DT Chad Hennings in the 10th round despite a four year commitment that actually ended up putting him in a war zone.

In the top rounds they took BPA with the highest computer score based on hundreds of attributes. They didn't gamble in the top rounds.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Oh so you feel good about Cox and his shoulder that may never be right? What about Josh Ball you feel good about him too after knowing that he beat the **** out of his girlfriend multiple times, inspiring isn't it.
ya I feel super about them both. because I belief people can change. I see you dont

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
From the perspective of being an NFL player, Gregory's issue wasn't pot. Gregory's issue was that pot was more important than football and the financial security it offered. Think about that. Pot is not physically addictive. The real issue is his mindset and how dependable he could be under that mindset. Maybe he's found enough help to deal with it. Maybe.

The point is, gambling results in a probability of success thus implying a possibility of failure. If a team is going to gamble on a player they draft, they should limit those risks to the 3rd day.

The old Cowboys of the 70's certainly took risks. They drafted a quarterback in the 12th round that had a 6 year military commitment. They drafted a great RB in the fifth round because he had already committed to a different league. They drafted Olympic champion Carl Lewis in the 12th round of the 1984 draft even though he never played college football. They drafted Air Force Academy DT Chad Hennings in the 10th round despite a four year commitment that actually ended up putting him in a war zone.

In the top rounds they took BPA with the highest computer score based on hundreds of attributes. They didn't gamble in the top rounds.

Your a little off. His issue was bi polar or anxiety disorder. Pot was what he found helped him deal with that. Never been a disciplinary issue or not liking football issue.

Now that pot is no longer an issue for the NFL, Gregory is fine.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I'm sure the scouts and coaches are reacting to the naysayers with
bc7d998ddd37ece9696185b2b4c51fcd.gif

Far out..... man

Buzzbait

Reaction score
What trouble? His issue was pot, which is now legal to use in the NFL. He no longer has any issues.

Trouble was he liked pot more than football. I'm hoping he doesn't find anything else he likes more than football.