Good Ship Happy Meshawn hit's a rock and sinks..?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I still don't understand what happened here with Key being cut..

Two years ago we just about fell over ourselves getting rid of Joey Galloway to get Key..we ended a suicide death trip in giving up 2 #1's for Galloway and practically forced Galloway to go to Tampa because he didn't want to leave Dallas and was expecting to redo his deal and stay.

But we dumped him for Key. So we flushed Galloway and 2 #1's to get Key. That's a lot of value there.

Key has gone on to do everything expected of him and more since he never said a peep about anything that would be disruptive as in NY and Tampa.

We welcomed Key as the quint-essential Parcell's Guy and a guy that would bring the necessary work ethic to the team for the younger players and to help our then young QB, Quincy Carter.

Now, after having the best season he's had in 4 years and helped Terry Glenn to a career best season yardage-wise..

Key's gone..like that..?

This whole thing is very weird.

It's going to take sometime to get to the bottom of this, but there is more to this story. And what is especially notable is we don't have either BP or JJ going public with even a quick video clip about any of this with this release like we have with other notable Cowboys..?

Just an official release that he'll be missed, etc fom Valley Ranch..?

But as with the Quincy Carter release from the team that wasn't clear at the time the exact reasons for his cut..

..we'll probably find out Key's release was prompted by something or a combination of things said or done or implied that none of us would have normally strung together.

Something only an insider has the knowledge of.

Like with Carter's drug test failure. I still to this day don't know exactly what it is he failed from, but he's sure gone from the NFL.

And now Key's gone from the Cowboys and I don't believe for one second it had to do with his $1 mil roster bonus or the fact he was due to be underpaid in the last year of his deal.

We are totally flush with cap money and paying the bonus, redoing a deal for another 2 years for $3 mil+ for a player like him is chump change for a team looking to go to a SB like Dallas.

We are not so berift with talent on this team that we can just cut a starting WR loose like that and just shake out our petticoats and act like it's business as usual.

I'm sorry. There is more to this story and while Key isn't really commenting and neither are the Cowboys, somebody out there knows.

I read after Key was cut that Key said he had been talking to Parcells all month before this happened. I also see where he is making wise-cracks about wanting to play with a good QB again.

Huh..?

Pardon me..Drew Bledsoe..?

Not a good QB..?

Ok..he's not Archie Manning. And he's not McSoup.

But not a good QB..?

This leads me to think that what Key and Parcells were talking about was whether or not Bledsoe was the QB Key thought was going to lead us to a SB.

And we all know BP personally picked Bledsoe to lead the charge here.

Could this be the reason Key is gone..?

Could it be that Key and BP hit a log while floating the Good Ship Happy Meshawn..?

Did those two come to an understanding that Key wasn't going to fit here with Bledsoe throwing and BP calling plays..?

I go back to that game where Key argued with Bledsoe openly on the sidelines and I can't see BP accepting that sort of behavior from Key regardless of what Key was thinking he was doing challenging Bledsoe.

And I never accepted the official stance by Dallas that it was just "heat of the battle rhetoric".

I think BP swept it under the rug at the time and told Key he'd address the situation later.

And I'll bet 'later' has arrived sooner than Key thought.

If Key has been harboring resentment or lack of confidence about Bledsoe being a good QB and BP sensed that Key wasn't going to keep himself under control in the future with such feelings..

..after talking to BP for the last month..

..it seems that Key talked himself right off the team.

This talk about bonuses and new deals is just a smokescreen for why Key isn't here. And I don't think the possible arrival of TO in Dallas has much to do with Key's release.

Otherwise, TO would be signed and that would have been the clear reason why Dallas did what they did in letting Key go.

There is more to this and where there is smoke there is usually fire.

We'll see.

parcellswaterboy

burmafrd

Reaction score
Just about as speculative as the shooter on the grassy knoll.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
burmafrd said:

No I think he has something there. Drew never has given me warm and fuzzies and Key may be aware it isn't going to get any better with no QB and only half an O-line.

joseephuss

Reaction score
parcellswaterboy said:
Pardon me..Drew Bledsoe..?

Not a good QB..?

Ok..he's not Archie Manning. And he's not McSoup.

But not a good QB..?

This leads me to think that what Key and Parcells were talking about was whether or not Bledsoe was the QB Key thought was going to lead us to a SB.

And we all know BP personally picked Bledsoe to lead the charge here.

Could this be the reason Key is gone..?

Could it be that Key and BP hit a log while floating the Good Ship Happy Meshawn..?

Did those two come to an understanding that Key wasn't going to fit here with Bledsoe throwing and BP calling plays..?

BP also chose Vinny and Quincy to QB Dallas.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I don't think it's any big mystery, is it?

He was making noise about wanting more money. A lot more money.

And I don't think there's any question that he and Bledsoe didn't get along all that well.

Sorry, he's still Keyshawn Johnson.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Agreed.

I can't give you a link to a source.

But there seems to be something under the surface here and I'm just throwing out some issues that might be possible.

It's just awfully hard for me to take all this at face value when Key has on the surface lived up to his end of the bargain in coming to Dallas and then to be so quickly and unceremoniuosly released.

And there was no real indications that Key was on the out or that there was any real issue of his old deal or his new deal being prohibitive to working it out and keeping him here.

Admit it..did you really think Key would be released this week over his deal..?

Maybe over TO's arrival.

But not over Keys deal.

And that's where I jump track with the 'official comments' out of VR about it.

Now maybe, if TO's arrival in Dallas is a done deal, it's just a matter of time..and this has been suggested to Key, then I can see Key questioning his own position on the team and the focus of the passing game moving away from Key if he stayed.

That would be reason for Key to question the wisdom of watching himself being phased out. Or being drasticaly reduced with snaps. Like what was done with Glover.

But nothing like that is visible right now. Neither the Dallas camp nor TO's camp is supporting that concept. There is no contract yet.

So that takes us back to what Key has been saying about QB's and post release comments about whom he'd like to play with and the strangeness this is all going down with.

That's it.

Hey, we got lot's of time to look ahead before TO signs, I think.

But I just still see Key in the rearview mirror bailing out Good Ship Happy Meshawn and wondering what happened..really.

parcellswaterboy

MONT17

Reaction score
Key said yesterday that he wants to be paid fairly... and if he gets 2 million that he would give 2million worth of plays (30).... meaning he is looking for about 4 million a year!!! I'm sure if the COWBOYS revist this and give him 3.5 to 4 he will take it! Because this BS about him going to get a deal for JERRY to match wont work... what team will do that? If I'ma GM and the romuor is KEY is just looking to go back to DALLAS with my deal I'm not going to waste my time!!!

I think Key will be back at about 3.5!!!