Good writeup on Barron

ddh33

Reaction score
I want everyone to stop talking about him now. Please.

This is the guy I want. This is the guy I feel confident about coming in, starting from Day One, playing all three downs, and quickly becoming a vocal leader for the secondary.

Gaede

Reaction score
Yeah, I've flip flopped on Barron, but the closer we get to the draft the more he becomes my #1 target.

And I believe Dallas feels the same.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Barron would probably be my number 1 choice as of right now (but it changes like the wind sometimes), with DeCastro and then Cox after him.

He was the absolute leader of by far the best secondary in the country. In this draft, which is deeper in guards and DEs, getting an immediate starter at safety is just a bonus that would allow us to pick an interior lineman and DE later in the draft.

Sometimes we think of what we would want in a total mock, without thinking about during a draft. During the draft, with Barron already picked, we would have our choice of OL and DL (deeper positions) in this draft. If we pick DeCastro or Cox, we won't get a chance at a safety who can start and will be stuck with the JAG that is Pool.

I want to leave this draft with 3 guys who can start immediately. Drafting Barron first gives us the best chance to get those 3 guys.

Woods

Reaction score
My first choice would be drafting Cox at 14, but I think he will be gone.

My second choice is Barron, and I think (hope) he will be our pick.

My third choice is DeCastro, either OG or OC.

Dyluke

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4512219 said:
Barron would probably be my number 1 choice as of right now (but it changes like the wind sometimes), with DeCastro and then Cox after him.

He was the absolute leader of by far the best secondary in the country. In this draft, which is deeper in guards and DEs, getting an immediate starter at safety is just a bonus that would allow us to pick an interior lineman and DE later in the draft.

Sometimes we think of what we would want in a total mock, without thinking about during a draft. During the draft, with Barron already picked, we would have our choice of OL and DL (deeper positions) in this draft. If we pick DeCastro or Cox, we won't get a chance at a safety who can start and will be stuck with the JAG that is Pool.

I want to leave this draft with 3 guys who can start immediately. Drafting Barron first gives us the best chance to get those 3 guys.

This :bow:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I still like Cox a smidgen more because I think he still hasn't scratched the surface of his ceiling, but Barron is right behind. A safety who can take away TEs in man to man is about as valuable as a shutdown CB in todays NFL.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
i kind of get this feeling barron will be gone by the time pick 14 rolls around.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4512219 said:

Thats going to be hard to do. I think you can get Barron and a OG in the 2nd like Zeitler or Silatulo but in the 3rd I dunno who you can get to be a starter.
I think we can get a CBor DE that can play alot but not be a starrter this year. If we can get a NT or Center that falls then that would be nice. They might be a starter day one then. I guess a #3 WR could also be considered a starter.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Did he pretty much say he has him as the 7th best player in this draft?

I got a lot of respect for Casserly. Especially when he had the cahonies to take Mario Williams over Reggie Bush when nobody else would.

Woods

Reaction score
jblaze2004;4512299 said:
i kind of get this feeling barron will be gone by the time pick 14 rolls around.

I hope you're wrong, but I would not be surprised.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I get a mixed review from reading this article.

He's telling me he rates Barron below the elite players but at the head of the cast of really good players.

Then he lists a bunch of top 10 safeties who for the most part have bombed embarrassingly.

So I don't want a safety at 15 and don't see getting one top 15 as a sure-fire fix. Of the 6 guys he listed, 1 was murdered, 1 is All-Pro and no one else was in the Pro Bowl. At least 3 of the 6 have been available in free agency or for trade in the past 2 seasons.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
At this point we'd be really, really fortunate to get him at 14. I heard another media member say they've talked to a team in the top 10 who said they're taking a "good, hard look" at Barron. The only justification for not taking Barron has been the false statement that he's an "in the box" safety and he can't cover. Well, 12 INT's and a whole lot of talent evaluators in the know seem to suggest otherwise.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
If Cox and Barron are both gone, it's going to be pretty upsetting. But DeCastro is a nice consolation prize.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;4512458 said:
If Cox and Barron are both gone, it's going to be pretty upsetting. But DeCastro is a nice consolation prize.

I almost feel like the Cowboys would be looking to trade out and land Brockers or Hightower before they would stay at 14 and take Decastro.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;4512475 said:
I almost feel like the Cowboys would be looking to trade out and land Brockers or Hightower before they would stay at 14 and take Decastro.
If Cox and Barron are gone, there are about a dozen roughly equally rated players that will be available at 14. I'm not sure who would want to trade up at that point.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
theogt;4512478 said:
If Cox and Barron are gone, there are about a dozen roughly equally rated players that will be available at 14. I'm not sure who would want to trade up at that point.

I think it would have to be Floyd, Reif or if a team has Mercilus/Perry rated as an Aldon Smith type of late riser and rusher. Tennessee has been desperate for a high dollar center. They might want DeCastro if they think he can play center.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
At least he still has Barron going to us in his latest mock. He has DeCastro falling to #21.

egn22

Reaction score
jblaze2004;4512299 said:

let me see if i can throw together some names in no particular order to ensure this won't be the case:

1-luck
2-RG3
3-Kalil
4-Claiborne
5-Blackmon
6-Richardson
7-Fletcher
8-Tannehill
9-Ingram
10-Floyd
11-Kuechly
12-Reiff
13-Cox

:)

If Barron is taken, Cox falls to us.
If one of the WR's fall to us we're in prime trading position.
And then there's always DeCastro who i didn't list.

I think one of these scenarios is most likely to play out which puts us in a great position either way.

JBS

Reaction score
egn22;4512558 said:
let me see if i can throw together some names in no particular order to ensure this won't be the case:

1-luck
2-RG3
3-Kalil
4-Claiborne
5-Blackmon
6-Richardson
7-Fletcher
8-Tannehill
9-Ingram
10-Floyd
11-Kuechly
12-Reiff
13-Cox

:)

If Barron is taken, Cox falls to us.
If one of the WR's fall to us we're in prime trading position.
And then there's always DeCastro who i didn't list.

I think one of these scenarios is most likely to play out which puts us in a great position either way.

What if Reiff falls? Hes supposedly on a downfall..