Good writeup on Barron

Woods

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4512561 said:
What if Reiff falls? Hes supposedly on a downfall..

I think Buffalo would draft him, esp after their latest OT signed again with the Eagles (Peters being the first one).

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
egn22;4512558 said:
let me see if i can throw together some names in no particular order to ensure this won't be the case:

1-luck
2-RG3
3-Kalil
4-Claiborne
5-Blackmon
6-Richardson
7-Fletcher
8-Tannehill
9-Ingram
10-Floyd
11-Kuechly
12-Reiff
13-Cox

:)

If Barron is taken, Cox falls to us.
If one of the WR's fall to us we're in prime trading position.
And then there's always DeCastro who i didn't list.

I think one of these scenarios is most likely to play out which puts us in a great position either way.

Who's Fletcher at 7? Fletcher Cox? In that case you have him listed twice.

egn22

Reaction score
CowboysLaw87;4512573 said:
Who's Fletcher at 7? Fletcher Cox? In that case you have him listed twice.
:laugh2:

yeah my bad

The Realist

Reaction score
Like Barron. Love DC.

Would love for Barron to be gone and to be forced to pick DC.

Start him at C next to the 2 scrub guards we signed.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
jterrell;4512366 said:
I get a mixed review from reading this article.

He's telling me he rates Barron below the elite players but at the head of the cast of really good players.

Then he lists a bunch of top 10 safeties who for the most part have bombed embarrassingly.

So I don't want a safety at 15 and don't see getting one top 15 as a sure-fire fix. Of the 6 guys he listed, 1 was murdered, 1 is All-Pro and no one else was in the Pro Bowl. At least 3 of the 6 have been available in free agency or for trade in the past 2 seasons.
That would be false.

Eric Berry had a promising rookie season who missed all of last season due to injury. KC definitely looks to have struck gold with this pick.

Earl Thomas had a really good rookie campaign last season.

Laron Landry has had injury issues, but when healthy he's been a top 10 safety (regardless of what you Commanders haters think).

Huff has really excelled in coverage and has put together some solid seasons after disappointing in his first few years. Had a pro-bowl esque year in 2010.

Whitner was a bust in Buffalo but seems to have revived his career in SF.

Sean Taylor was looking like an elite safety before tragedy struck.

Besides Whitner, none of the safeties above have "bombed embarrassingly".

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Dallas needs him in that secondary... I wouldn't be mad at all if he's the choice at 14!

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I would like in order Fletcher C, Barron, DeCastro<---as center if he can't play center than I would prefer a trade down and grab some of the others

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Zaxor;4513204 said:
I would like in order Fletcher C, Barron, DeCastro<---as center if he can't play center than I would prefer a trade down and grab some of the others
Good list of targets.

I'm thrilled with any of those as our pick.

I have the same top 3, just a little change in the order.

Macnalty

Reaction score
CATCH17;4512475 said:
I almost feel like the Cowboys would be looking to trade out and land Brockers or Hightower before they would stay at 14 and take Decastro.

I hope you are right but there is no denying Barron is a good positional pick with good talent. Just hard to leave a deal on the table that makes us stronger in the second through fifth rd in this draft and still helps the team overall. Just love the Hightower pick along with accumulating some CB's, OLine and Dline. IMO a second rd pick of Zeitler or Silatolu (O guards) puts us in very favorable position on the OLine even with a average center. I think no one would argue if we picked up two more picks in that hot range of third/fourth and went to war with these guys in Giant Stadium. IMO

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
I like how he compared Barron to previous top safeties. I wish they did more of this each year. Ok, you can rank the current crop of wide receivers, but where do you rank them compared to previous classes?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;4512304 said:
Did he pretty much say he has him as the 7th best player in this draft?

I got a lot of respect for Casserly. Especially when he had the cahonies to take Mario Williams over Reggie Bush when nobody else would.
No reversing field now. You've got this guy as a bust remember?

Mash

Reaction score
I dont think I read anywhere or from any draft site that Barron will not be a solid pick

Sounds to me all I hear are scouts raving about him....same with DeCastro.

btw....how did Barron get pegged as a poor coverage safty? Inbox saftey?

I dont know...Cox....DeCastro....or Barron at 14 will be very good pickups.

I love DeCastro....seeing how he will anchor his spot for 10 yrs....but I cant seem to shake getting Barron and his leadership and smarts leading our defensive backfield for years.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4512300 said:
Thats going to be hard to do. I think you can get Barron and a OG in the 2nd like Zeitler or Silatulo but in the 3rd I dunno who you can get to be a starter.
I think we can get a CBor DE that can play alot but not be a starrter this year. If we can get a NT or Center that falls then that would be nice. They might be a starter day one then. I guess a #3 WR could also be considered a starter.

Well again, it depends on how the draft falls really. Depending on how JG wants to run this thing, perhaps a #3 WR or a #2 TE can be considered a starter. What I thinking with that statement is getting a guy who can start at interior OL, DE, and S in the first 3 rounds.

The most likely way to get those 3 starters is to draft Barron, pick the BPA DE in the 2nd, and Brooks or Blake in the 3rd or 4th. Also, of course it is easier to get those 3 by trading back in the first round, although I don't think we have to do that.

Going through a live draft is alot different than making up a random mock draft. Barron does open up our draft more than any other pick cause of the thinness of the class and our huge need there. Now I will say that if someone falls, my list gets longer by that guy....just saying....;)

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I've had my heart set on Cowboys re-stocking the trenches, DeCastro seems a safe pick, and/or the best DT/DE/OLB available with that first pick.

BUT, I keep saying in all my posts that I think this team needs to get smarter and more instinctive and Safety has been a HUGE weakness for this team for a long time (particularly since decline in production from Roy Williams).

It isn't as sexy as getting some help for D Ware up front, because that was a huge issue last season, and would help secondary overall as well, but adding Barron sounds like it has a good chance of helping in a big way as well.

What is his injury history like, moving forward. I heard he's had a few injuries he's played through over last few seasons. Are they long-term/chronic type problems?

LarryCanadian

cowboysooner

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;4513730 said:
I've had my heart set on Cowboys re-stocking the trenches, DeCastro seems a safe pick, and/or the best DT/DE/OLB available with that first pick.

BUT, I keep saying in all my posts that I think this team needs to get smarter and more instinctive and Safety has been a HUGE weakness for this team for a long time (particularly since decline in production from Roy Williams).

It isn't as sexy as getting some help for D Ware up front, because that was a huge issue last season, and would help secondary overall as well, but adding Barron sounds like it has a good chance of helping in a big way as well.

What is his injury history like, moving forward. I heard he's had a few injuries he's played through over last few seasons. Are they long-term/chronic type problems?

LarryCanadian

That's pretty much my sentiment. We have been running a 3-4 with just another guys at defensive end for a while now. The premiere 3-4 teams all invest heavily in their front. We don't and we are not a premiere defense since 2008 when we had a very good rotation of ends and Ellis and Spencer together.

It looks like Brockers/Poe are falling some. I would much rather have one of them and an extra 2nd than Barron alone.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4512219 said:
Barron would probably be my number 1 choice as of right now (but it changes like the wind sometimes), with DeCastro and then Cox after him.

He was the absolute leader of by far the best secondary in the country. In this draft, which is deeper in guards and DEs, getting an immediate starter at safety is just a bonus that would allow us to pick an interior lineman and DE later in the draft.

Sometimes we think of what we would want in a total mock, without thinking about during a draft. During the draft, with Barron already picked, we would have our choice of OL and DL (deeper positions) in this draft. If we pick DeCastro or Cox, we won't get a chance at a safety who can start and will be stuck with the JAG that is Pool.

I want to leave this draft with 3 guys who can start immediately. Drafting Barron first gives us the best chance to get those 3 guys.

I'd rather go with Cox if he's there, then DeCastro, followed by Barron and Poe if we remain at 14.

If none of those are there, try to trade down and take Glenn or Konz.

Those are the six guys I'd be happy with Dallas picking in the first round, based on who might be available when the Cowboys pick.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Some interesting tweets by Breer today on Barron...

@AlbertBreer

Speaking of ... Not surprised by Barron's rise. Here's why: Hard to find a college safety who had as much responsibility mentally as he did.

@AlbertBreer

Scout/execs say less & less is being asked of college safeties in directing traffic in secondary. But Saban had Barron doing plenty of that.

@AlbertBreer
@RapSheet You'd know better than I would, but I heard Saban trusted him to a pretty serious degree to run the show. True captain back there.

Mash

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4515789 said:

@AlbertBreer

Speaking of ... Not surprised by Barron's rise. Here's why: Hard to find a college safety who had as much responsibility mentally as he did.

@AlbertBreer

Scout/execs say less & less is being asked of college safeties in directing traffic in secondary. But Saban had Barron doing plenty of that.

@AlbertBreer
@RapSheet You'd know better than I would, but I heard Saban trusted him to a pretty serious degree to run the show. True captain back there.

To me Barron sounds like a perfect fit for Dallas secondary......we complain all yr about confusion.....finger pointing....lack of leadership....a identity .......This kid seems to have the character to solve these issues

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4515789 said:

@AlbertBreer

@AlbertBreer

@AlbertBreer

our defensive qb at 14!