Goodell Wants American Football Included in Olympics

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Terrible idea...just so many flaws to it. If baseball (which is by far a more global sport) was canceled in the Olympics then football has zero chance. No NFL players would participate because of the injury risk, heck, no undrafted players would either because this time of year is training camp and they would all rather try to make an NFL roster and earn $$$. And finally, the Olympics is 2 weeks, which would mean 2 games :laugh2:

Goodell Fail!

Hailmary

Reaction score
In the short term (the next 4 to 5 olympics) it's a horrible idea.

Long term, may improve the talent pool via international FA signings (like in baseball).

Hailmary

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4646263 said:
Terrible idea...just so many flaws to it. If baseball (which is by far a more global sport) was canceled in the Olympics then football has zero chance. No NFL players would participate because of the injury risk, heck, no undrafted players would either because this time of year is training camp and they would all rather try to make an NFL roster and earn $$$. And finally, the Olympics is 2 weeks, which would mean 2 games :laugh2:

Goodell Fail!

Yea, I was thinking all the same, except I forgot about the short 2 week schedule.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The NFL has gotten it into its head that somehow we can transplant our football there.

With no real evidence its ever more than a curiosity or minor draw there.

Just stupid- no other words for it.

There will never be enough support in Europe for a full NFL franchize.

Tezz

Reaction score
Disregarding the lack of international popularity the injury risk is too great for NFL players to compete in Olympics.

nablives

Reaction score
Tezz;4646357 said:
Disregarding the lack of international popularity the injury risk is too great for NFL players to compete in Olympics.

Yeah, I don't see the players or the owners signing off on it any time remotely soon, in large part because of that reason.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
the reason why rugby is not an olympic sport

get hurt and only have 2 weeks for how many games?

yeah not a good idea

coogrfan

Reaction score
burmafrd;4646339 said:
The NFL has gotten it into its head that somehow we can transplant our football there.

With no real evidence its ever more than a curiosity or minor draw there.

Just stupid- no other words for it.

There will never be enough support in Europe for a full NFL franchize.

Indeed.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Goodell's just being more of a blowhard than usual. Terrible idea, but it makes for some sort of vaguely relevent soundbyte right now.

rkell87

Reaction score
besides the reasons already given, he wouldn't want to subject our players olympic testing

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Summer and Winter Olympics are amateur events which professional athletes volunteer to compete in. They are not required to compete.

Nowhere in the article does Goodell state that the NFL will be prompting to send its athletes into Olympic competition. In my opinion, the NFL would enjoy having American football established as an Olympic event to further spread its popularity worldwide. The league would then benefit from the hypothetical popularity by having more fans in international countries which would support the sport.

Once again, the maverick commissioner of the National Football League does or says something without input from the owners. Someone should finally do something about him.

I love CowboysZone. :laugh1:

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
:bang2:

That should an entertaining final when USA beats Canada 72-6 in the Gold medal game.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;4647849 said:
:bang2:

That should an entertaining final when USA beats Canada 72-6 in the Gold medal game.
I'd find it very entertaining.

;)

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
American football is only played in two countries and there are different rules, field dimensions and a considerable talent differential. Women's fastball disappeared when it became apparent that they could not come up with a competitive pool of teams to make the sport appealing to more than one country. Roger Goodel is simply throwing out the idea for future consideration. When I say future, I would predict in the distant future or not at all. I think the likelihood is remote.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I think that Tennis,Basketball,Baseball,Soccer shouldn't be olympic sports as it is.

We have premier league/World Cups already for soccer. It's on TV all the time. Same with the other sports. In Tennis we had basically the exact same matchups that they show on tv regularly with Sharapova/Serena matching up.

Those feel more like professional games. They should be excluded from the olympics.

It should consist of: Track and Field,Gymnastics,Swimming,Archery etc. In my opinion.

The sports you never get to watch live.