Google Home Hub

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Google Home Hub and whatever Amazon's version of the Echo with the screen is.

What is the point of these devices? The home / echo are extremely useful. I have both and use them daily, but what is the point of having a screen on them when everyone walks around with a smartphone in their pocket or has some sort of tablet? (I have a tablet, though I never use it except when I'm traveling)

I suppose if you had it in the kitchen and displayed recipes on it could make some sense, but how often would most people do that? Other than that?

Adding a screen is practically useless when everyone already has a smartphone in hand.

jsb357

Reaction score
Don't forget screen AND camera...oops, I can't continue my
post because it would be deemed political so...

that's all I have to say about that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've always wondered why toilets don't have floor pedal flushers instead of hand flushers so you don't have to touch the toilet.

I have more comments about that but I can't continue the post because it would be deemed political... :muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've always wondered why toilets don't have floor pedal flushers instead of hand flushers so you don't have to touch the toilet.

I have more comments about that but I can't continue the post because it would be deemed political... :muttley:
You wanna be the one to clean the pedal?

DanteEXT

Reaction score
The Google Home Hub and whatever Amazon's version of the Echo with the screen is.

What is the point of these devices? The home / echo are extremely useful. I have both and use them daily, but what is the point of having a screen on them when everyone walks around with a smartphone in their pocket or has some sort of tablet? (I have a tablet, though I never use it except when I'm traveling)

I suppose if you had it in the kitchen and displayed recipes on it could make some sense, but how often would most people do that? Other than that?

Adding a screen is practically useless when everyone already has a smartphone in hand.

Not everyone has a smartphone though I would say anyone who would buy one of these devices probably already does.

I could see someone having one in the kitchen and using it to stream a movie or maybe a Youtube recipe/how to make video while cooking dinner. The screen is bigger and set for viewing. A phone you would have to find a place for it to sit for you to see the screen and still be far enough away so as to not accidently spill a bunch of ingredients on it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Not everyone has a smartphone though I would say anyone who would buy one of these devices probably already does.

I could see someone having one in the kitchen and using it to stream a movie or maybe a Youtube recipe/how to make video while cooking dinner. The screen is bigger and set for viewing. A phone you would have to find a place for it to sit for you to see the screen and still be far enough away so as to not accidently spill a bunch of ingredients on it.
...but that is what these are for! :laugh:

tv-in-refrigerator-door-refrigerator-with-refrigerator-with-refrigerator-with-family-hub-4-door-c-refrigerator-mirroring-not-refrigerator-with-tv-refrigerator-door.jpg

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When all of the personal assistant companies get over themselves and finally let you name the assistant and activation word/phrase to whatever you want, I'll get one.

Until then, I'm not going to spend my days advertising, either to other people or myself, company and product names simply because they are too arrogant to put the consumer first.

Google is the worst of the bunch by forcing you to say their brand name each time.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
When all of the personal assistant companies get over themselves and finally let you name the assistant and activation word/phrase to whatever you want, I'll get one.

Until then, I'm not going to spend my days advertising, either to other people or myself, company and product names simply because they are too arrogant to put the consumer first.

Google is the worst of the bunch by forcing you to say their brand name each time.

hah you're nitpicking.

Why in hell should I have to type in cowboyszone.com to come here. Why can't I just type sam.com or maria.com? Why doesn't all have to be about the cowboyszone brand name? Huh? Tell me!

:muttley:

Personally, I think you should get a flip-assistant. Hurry someone! Invent one for Reality!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hah you're nitpicking.

Why in hell should I have to type in cowboyszone.com to come here. Why can't I just type sam.com or maria.com? Why doesn't all have to be about the cowboyszone brand name? Huh? Tell me!

:muttley:

Personally, I think you should get a flip-assistant. Hurry someone! Invent one for Reality!
That's not remotely the same. I'm not talking about typing in something nor am I talking about visiting one single place.

I have no problem typing in "google.com" to go to google or "youtube" to go to youtube.

What I don't want to have to do is verbally advertising a company or product name just to get information on something. It's childish and it's arrogant.

When Apple first came out with Siri, the first question I asked was, "Can you rename Siri?" The answer was no. Then Amazon came out with "Alexa", and I once again asked before it ever started shipping, "Can you rename it?" The answer was no.

So finally Google came out with their personal assistant and I thought, "Surely, they will allow you to rename it." so i asked again. The answer was no.

I don't want to have walk around my house, drive my car, etc. and constantly say "Hey Samsung" or "Hey Sony" or "Hey Toyota" or "Hey Nissan" every time I simply want to know what the temperature is, what time it is, to listen to music, etc.

That would be like every you wanted to visit a web site having to say, "Hey Chrome" or "Hey Firefox". It's stupid, childish, condescending and arrogant of those companies to force that on people.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
That's not remotely the same. I'm not talking about typing in something nor am I talking about visiting one single place.

I have no problem typing in "google.com" to go to google or "youtube" to go to youtube.

What I don't want to have to do is verbally advertising a company or product name just to get information on something. It's childish and it's arrogant.

When Apple first came out with Siri, the first question I asked was, "Can you rename Siri?" The answer was no. Then Amazon came out with "Alexa", and I once again asked before it ever started shipping, "Can you rename it?" The answer was no.

So finally Google came out with their personal assistant and I thought, "Surely, they will allow you to rename it." so i asked again. The answer was no.

I don't want to have walk around my house, drive my car, etc. and constantly say "Hey Samsung" or "Hey Sony" or "Hey Toyota" or "Hey Nissan" every time I simply want to know what the temperature is, what time it is, to listen to music, etc.

That would be like every you wanted to visit a web site having to say, "Hey Chrome" or "Hey Firefox". It's stupid, childish, condescending and arrogant of those companies to force that on people.
You know, I was just teasing you.

That said, you can rename Alexa, but you're limited to a small selection of pre-determined words. Computer (like in Star Trek) being one of them. As a Star Trek fan, that is a terrible choice though because every time I watch Star Trek and they ask their computer something, the Echo goes off saying I didn't understand your question.

giphy.gif

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Glad I don't worry about these stuff.The only tech devices I have are a radio ,a PC.and a flip phone and that is too much for my liking.