Google Preparing iPad Rival

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
500x_500x_chromeos1.jpg

Confirming the rumors, and after dismissing the iPad as nothing more than a large phone, Google is getting ready its own tablet computer. At least, that was what Google CEO—and Steve Jobs' own personal Judas—Eric Schmidt is saying.

According to the New York Times, Schmidt told friends about the new tablet at a recent party in Los Angeles. NYT's sources point out that Google has already been talking with publishers about delivering content for the platform. Surprisingly, Schmidt said it will not run Chrome OS—as recently shown by a Chrome OS engineer—but Android, making it the true big phone Schmidt was mocking. It makes sense to build on Android, since it already has applications.

I wonder if Schmidt told Jobs about it over coffee. The War for the Future of Computing carries on. [NYT]

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;3399525 said:
LOL! I love competition!

I like that two egotistical nerds are going at it.:laugh2:

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3399540 said:
I like that two egotistical nerds are going at it.:laugh2:

Where is Celebrity Deathmatch when you need it?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Its actually Verizon and Google in a joint venture w/ this new iPad competitor.

So it's still a giant phone in the end. :cool:

If Google is smart they will incorporate both HTML5 and the new upcoming Flash Player 10.1 on this device thus beating the pi$$ out of Jobs and his "retool the web" approach w/ his insistance on not to include FLASH on any idevice from Apple.

Guy is an idiot sometimes.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Dallas;3399622 said:
Its actually Verizon and Google in a joint venture w/ this new iPad competitor.

So it's still a giant phone in the end. :cool:

If Google is smart they will incorporate both HTML5 and the new upcoming Flash Player 10.1 on this device thus beating the pi$$ out of Jobs and his "retool the web" approach w/ his insistance on not to include FLASH on any idevice from Apple.

Guy is an idiot sometimes.

Chome Browser supports portions of HTML5 and Flash 10.1 has already been demoed on Android and is supposed to be being released soon.

This video was released May 9th 2010. It's Flash 10.1 running on the Nexus One.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0y7XJI4NN7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0y7XJI4NN7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

He doesn't want Flash because people can write apps in Flash that he can't "Approve / Reject". If it's a Flash app, he can't make money off of it by taking a cut.

kapolani

Reaction score
Hey Google...

How did that Nexus One thing work out for ya?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kapolani;3400265 said:
Hey Google...

How did that Nexus One thing work out for ya?

I love mine. So far, the only thing I don't like about it is the music player. The player works, but it has a bug.

My wife likes my Nexus One more than her iTouch. It will be 100x better once Flash 10.1 is released.

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3400277 said:
I love mine. So far, the only thing I don't like about it is the music player. The player works, but it has a bug.

My wife likes my Nexus One more than her iTouch. It will be 100x better once Flash 10.1 is released.

I really wanted the Nexus One to succeed. I wanted to get one.

I'm glad there's competition - it always benefits the consumer.

If the iPhone 4 doesn't knock my socks off I may jump ship if there is another alternative. The next iPhone is looking very promising though.

We'll see.