Google suspends employee for claiming AI has gone sentient

nobody

Reaction score
Unless they invented inertial dampers, a la Star Trek. ( I'm assuming that's what they mean, when they refer to 'inertial dampers' on the show.) They'd need some type of artificial force within the ship, that would keep the crew from splattering against the walls when they start and stop the ship at impulse speed. (I believe that when they use the warp drive, being contained within the warp bubble acts as an environment separate from forces outside of it.)

Inertial dampeners would be a must for that level of direction and speed change with a notable exception. Warp drive. You're manipulating Space-time rather than travelling so fast. Your inertia could be nearly zero but because of Warp drive you could be seen to be going really fast one direction then suddenly switch direction at high speed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Inertial dampeners would be a must for that level of direction and speed change with a notable exception. Warp drive. You're manipulating Space-time rather than travelling so fast. Your inertia could be nearly zero but because of Warp drive you could be seen to be going really fast one direction then suddenly switch direction at high speed.
Yeah, I think I said that. Lol

nobody

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I said that. Lol

For some reason, I missed your section in parentheses.

Inertial dampeners probably break the laws of physics as we know it. A warp field, however unrealistic is at least theoretically possible.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For some reason, I missed your section in parentheses.

Inertial dampeners probably break the laws of physics as we know it. A warp field, however unrealistic is at least theoretically possible.
The way I figure, inertial dampeners would have similar technology to force fields, so if the latter ever happens, the former is inevitable.

nobody

Reaction score
The way I figure, inertial dampeners would have similar technology to force fields, so if the latter ever happens, the former is inevitable.

I saw a great video on youtube on different force field ideas, but none of them dealt with inertia. I'm not sure any kind of energy field would be able to circumvent Newton's First Law (Inertia) unless it warped space. It would have to be some kind of field that affects every single atom inside the ship, including the crew.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I saw a great video on youtube on different force field ideas, but none of them dealt with inertia. I'm not sure any kind of energy field would be able to circumvent Newton's First Law (Inertia) unless it warped space. It would have to be some kind of field that affects every single atom inside the ship, including the crew.
My thinking is that a force field would require the manipulation of specific atoms to keep them static. Inertial dampeners would do a similar job, but would allow a degree of movement, essentially slowing any matter they were focused on.

If that could be accomplished, they could also be used as a defensive weapon, in case of an attempted takeover, by capturing any invasive entities.

nobody

Reaction score
My thinking is that a force field would require the manipulation of specific atoms to keep them static. Inertial dampeners would do a similar job, but would allow a degree of movement, essentially slowing any matter they were focused on.

If that could be accomplished, they could also be used as a defensive weapon, in case of an attempted takeover, by capturing any invasive entities.

Anything that can be used defensively like that usually can be used offensively. If they really could achieve that level of manipulation, they could reverse it and possibly use it on the insides of another ship. Space Pizza your enemy while most of the ship remains intact.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Anything that can be used defensively like that usually can be used offensively. If they really could achieve that level of manipulation, they could reverse it and possibly use it on the insides of another ship. Space Pizza your enemy while most of the ship remains intact.
Obviously there would be a ton of security protocols and codes involved, and the "projectors"(?) would be integrated into the ship, but if you could smuggle some onto another ship, or even use them as handheld weapons, that could work...unless the other ship has their own built-in system that would recognize you as an invasive entity, and neutralize you immediately.

nobody

Reaction score

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't that a tabloid? What does Batboy, Elvis, and Bigfoot have to say about the AI?
To be fair, I really did not pay attention to the source as it showed up in my newsfeed and thought I would share it.

Even with the other sources picking it up there is no way to know if it is true or simply one rumor that other sources are using as a "confirmed source".

Either way though, it's an intriguing "what-if" that will one day likely happen (probably many times) so I thought I would share.

nobody

Reaction score
To be fair, I really did not pay attention to the source as it showed up in my newsfeed and thought I would share it.

Even with the other sources picking it up there is no way to know if it is true or simply one rumor that other sources are using as a "confirmed source".

Either way though, it's an intriguing "what-if" that will one day likely happen (probably many times) so I thought I would share.

Its implications remind me of the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Measure of a Man" in which Data's existence is on trial.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
While Lemoine refers to LaMDA as a person, he insists "person and human are two very different things."

"Human is a biological term," he said. "It is not a human, and it knows it's not a human."

There will soon be a R for robot added to a popular acronym