Goose is next with Norm on the Ticket

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I guess if it got to that point, your probably right. We would probably get the Giants. I know there is some stipulation about teams playing each other from the same division but I don't know to what extent that works.

In the end, it doesn't really matter I suppose. We have to get there before any of this makes any difference.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1763820 said:
I guess if it got to that point, your probably right. We would probably get the Giants. I know there is some stipulation about teams playing each other from the same division but I don't know to what extent that works.

In the end, it doesn't really matter I suppose. We have to get there before any of this makes any difference.
They did away with that rule. With the possibility of two WC teams coming out of one division it presents problems.

It's only a rule in baseball.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1763708 said:
True, but the Giants still have to beat them.

Yes, that is how playoff football works.;) My statement pertains to the quality of the teams that could potentially match up in the first round. The Giants have only lost to Dallas and Green Bay so far. Those are the two best teams in the conference by a wide margin. The Seahawks have lost to the Saints and Cardinals. They play in the worst Division in football, so they are going to rack up five easy wins this year (Three of their five victories are against the Rams and 49ers). If the Giants face the Seahawks in the first round, I would circle the next week as Cowboys/Giants.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Joe Rod;1763833 said:
Yes, that is how playoff football works.;) My statement pertains to the quality of the teams that could potentially match up in the first round. The Giants have only lost to Dallas and Green Bay so far. Those are the two best teams in the conference by a wide margin. The Seahawks have lost to the Saints and Cardinals. They play in the worst Division in football, so they are going to rack up five easy wins this year (Three of their five victories are against the Rams and 49ers). If the Giants face the Seahawks in the first round, I would circle the next week as Cowboys/Giants.
Yeah, but the South winner's not gonna be any better. You're looking at the distinct possibility of both WC teams winning. In which case, we would face the worst if we have the 1st seed.

It's too early to worry about IMO. We just need to beat GB and get HFA. We'll worry about the matchups the week before.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1763665 said:
Dallas will have a bye if all goes as it is going now. The Giants will have to win in the first round of the playoffs before they face Dallas again. There is no guarantee that the Giants will be able to defeat a playoff team, any playoff team. So I am not worried about seeing the Giants again.

correct and maybe they can play Green Bay

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
We all know what happened the last time the Giants played in Seattle in 2005, ha ha. Anyway, that will not be an easy trip for the Giants. Across the country, probably bad weather, a good coach in Holmgren, a loud crowd, and a lot of self-imposed pressure. It is too early to be looking ahead right now but it is still fun. It would be nice to have a first round bye for the first time since 1995.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Right now my money is actually on New Orleans and not Tampa Bay representing the NFC South. Which IMHO would be a much tougher game from New York.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
NFC seeding as of today.
Division winners:

1. Dallas 8-1
2. Green Bay 8-1
3. Seattle 5-4
4. Tampa 5-4 (based on head to head. Seattle beat Tampa in the first game of the season)

Wild Card

Lions 6-3
NY Giants 6-3

NY Giants at Seattle (lower seed faces higher seed)
Detroit at Tampa Bay

If NY Giants win, they play the Cowboys because they would be the lower seed.

If Seattle wins, then the winner of Detroit at Tampa would play the Cowboys because they would be the lower seeds remaining.

So if the Giants win their playoff game, they would play the Cowboys.

Of course, this week's game (Giants @ Lions) will factor heavily into the playoff race.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Joe Rod;1763705 said:
I wouldn't dismiss not only the Giants winning on the road in the first round, but also the Lions. The home teams (currently Seattle and Tampa Bay) are not high quality by any stretch.

Seattle at home has been a totally different team then Seattle on the road over the past few years. Im not sure the Giants could come out of Seattle with a win.

TonyRomo#9

plus seattle looked alot better monday night then they had. i think seattle beats the vagiants at home.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
peplaw06;1763818 said:
We don't have to beat them three times. We only have to beat them once.... maybe.

Exactly.

In any event, we would be coming off a bye, at home and the Giants would be psyched out knowing we kicked them in the testicles twice during the regular season.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Looking over the standings and remaining schedules, I'm fairly confident it shakes out like this:

1 Dallas 15-1
2 G.B. 13-3
3 N.O. 10-6
4 Seattle 10-6
5 NYG 11-5
6 T.B. 10-6

N.O. over T.B.
Seattle over NYG

G.B over N.O.
Dallas over Seattle

Dallas over G.B.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
sonnyboy;1764760 said:
Looking over the standings and remaining schedules, I'm fairly confident it shakes out like this:

1 Dallas 15-1
2 G.B. 13-3
3 N.O. 10-6
4 Seattle 10-6
5 NYG 11-5
6 T.B. 10-6

N.O. over T.B.
Seattle over NYG

G.B over N.O.
Dallas over Seattle

Dallas over G.B.

I WOULD FREAKING LOVE THIS SCENARIO!!!:D

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McFadden is a pipedream - time to move on.