Goose Just Said Dallas had a very good draft

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Valor;2058894 said:
He's notorious for bashing our second day picks (and not without good reasons). Maybe he's mellowing.
Maybe...but I heard him on the ticket, too. I was surprised at the amount of gushing over the picks. It was so positive, I had to listen closely to see if it was really him.

I think he really liked the Choice and Scandrick picks.

JPM

Reaction score
Valor;2058894 said:
He's notorious for bashing our second day picks (and not without good reasons). Maybe he's mellowing.
Or he actually liked them this year.

montgod

Reaction score
Hmmm... 5 of our picks were in Goose's top 100.

Anyone wonder if JJones scouting department consists of Goose's list?

deadrody

Reaction score
joseephuss;2058668 said:
Dallas did not show patience trading up from 28 to 25. They may have been able to stay pat and get the player they wanted or at least a comparable corner. Other than that they seemed to do fine in their selections. Not spectacular, but solid.
Huh?!??

And, what ? Keep a 5th and a 7th ? Really ? Anyone that is seriously upset at that is either a fool or just looking for an excuse to whine and complain about Jerry.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;2058668 said:
Dallas did not show patience trading up from 28 to 25. They may have been able to stay pat and get the player they wanted or at least a comparable corner. Other than that they seemed to do fine in their selections. Not spectacular, but solid.

From Mickey:

they had their hearts set on the cornerback at No. 28, certainly a necessity since they can't be sure NFL commissioner Roger Goodell would reinstate Adam Jones or if the guy would act a fool again and get his suspension extended. The guy they liked best was Jenkins, sort of an Anthony Henry clone who, incidentally played at the same South Florida. Other than possibly McKelvin, they weren't hatin' seeing Talib and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie taken earlier.

Now they were willing to settle for Flowers, but as defensive coordinator Brian Stewart said, since they already had acquired almost 5-10 Adam Jones, you don't want to get in the business of collecting too many 5-9 corners. The percentages just aren't with you.

So Jerry Jones got busy, and this is where doing your homework comes in handy. The Cowboys heavily suspected Houston, which had traded down from 18 to 26 with Baltimore, was going to take Jenkins. Well, they got the exact running back they wanted, so why not get greedy and get the cornerback, too.

Trader Jerry found himself a dance partner, Seattle, at No. 25, one pick ahead of Houston, for a mere fifth and seventh. And look, with the roster the Cowboys have, quality of draft picks was going to be much more important than quantity. That seventh-rounder likely wasn't going to make this team, and who knows, they might be able to turn that first pick in the fourth round into a fifth, if indeed they want to.

Plus, that also got them ahead of San Diego, which ended up taking a cornerback, too, Arizona's Antoine Cason.

silver

Reaction score
jbsg02;2058712 said:
That's the kinda ammo that lets us trade up a few spots here and there to get a targeted player, cause there's no way that many players make this team
I doubt that ammo makes it past minicamp. Jerry is already preparing packages involving some of those picks plus some vets like Spears, Carp, and Henry for a vet WR.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Can somebody that's actually smart (which eliminates me) throw out a list of names that might be had for some picks. I know the three debated here for the last few weeks, but is there anyone else that might become expandable after this draft?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
joseephuss;2058668 said:

Eddie;2058713 said:
No, I'm pretty positive Jenkins would have been swept up by the Chargers one pick before #28.

jobberone;2058758 said:
I think they would have lost the last top CB if they had waited.

dbair1967;2058768 said:
thats not true...they wanted Jenkins, and so did Houston and San Diego

Houstan said they traded back with Jenkins in mind, and SD took Cason

Jenkins is more gifted than Cason and has alot more upside

David

As plenty have said before me... there is NO WAY Jenkins would have made it to 28. Houston and San Diego both would have nabbed him if he was there.

He was the number one rated DB on our board and no more than two or three on many others. Jenkins was the last (IMO) "difference maker" CB available in this years draft and I would have been sick if we had stayed put at 28 and missed out on him.

A 5th and a 7th is nothing in compared to the peice of mind he gives us and the talent he brings to a defensive backfield that already contains Newman, Pacman, and Henry.

Getting Scandrick later in the draft makes this year's secondary way, way, WAY better than last year's (Jones, Reeves, ugh!) and if Pacman is available as expected, we will be light year's better.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
stasheroo;2058830 said:
But Cason went a lot earlier than you thought, huh?

yeah I did think he'd go 35-45, so missed him by half dozen-8 spots or so

David

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2059138 said:
yeah I did think he'd go 35-45, so missed him by half dozen-8 spots or so

David

You were dead-on about Felix Jones though.

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2058688 said:
hard to be patient when one of the CBs you most covet is sitting there for the taking

Jenkins will be a great fit here. He was a steal at #25.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Of course no one can rate the draft. Its hit or miss we all know that.

This could turn out to be a bad draft. Just throwing it out there... not saying it is.

We could end with one good pick in this draft in Jenkins.

Jones, Bennet, Scandrick, Walden could all be JAG's.
We will see.