Goose's Mock III

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News

NEW YORK - Curious how the NFL draft will play out? So is Eli Manning.

The Mississippi quarterback is the best player in the draft, just as his brother Peyton was in 1998. San Diego has the first overall pick - but Manning jolted the Bolts this week by telling the Chargers he didn't want to play for them.

Do the Chargers trade the pick? Do they take another player, like jumbo Iowa offensive tackle Robert Gallery? Or do they take Manning anyway?

"I'm not in control of anything," said Manning, who is attending the draft as a guest of the NFL. "I'll show up and see what happens."

Manning is the headliner of a draft this weekend that features three potential franchise quarterbacks plus one of the deepest talent pools at receiver in decades.

The record for wideouts in the first round is six, and the record for players from one school in the first round is five. Both marks could fall today, with the University of Miami lining up six potential first-rounders. Seven if you count one player from the University of Miami (Ohio) who also projects as a first-rounder.

A look at the final mock draft:

1. SAN DIEGO

Eli Manning

QB, Mississippi

Needs: WR, OL, QB, DL

Manning is the best player in the draft. If the Chargers can't cut a deal with the Giants to trade down, they owe it to their fans to draft the best player.

2. OAKLAND

Robert Gallery

OT, Iowa

Needs: WR, OL, DL, S

The long hair flowing out from his helmet makes him a candidate for the Raiders. So does his ability. He can give you a dozen seasons of pass protection.

3. ARIZONA

Larry Fitzgerald

WR, Pittsburgh

Needs: DL, CB, LB, WR

Fitzgerald was a ball boy for Dennis Green when Green was coach of the Minnesota Vikings. Now Fitzgerald plays like Randy Moss and Cris Carter.

4. NY GIANTS

Ben Roethlisberger

QB, Miami (Ohio)

Needs: OL, DL, S, WR

With all the trade talk with San Diego, the Giants have targeted a blue-chip quarterback. Roethlisberger is the biggest, strongest, fastest passer in the draft.

5. WASHINGTON

Kellen Winslow

TE, Miami (Fla.)

Needs: TE, S, LB, OL

When Joe Gibbs was an assistant in San Diego, he coached Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow. Now Gibbs gets a chance to coach Winslow's son.

6. DETROIT

Roy Williams

WR, Texas

Needs: WR, OL, LB, DL

The Lions need to give Joey Harrington weapons to accelerate his development. Charles Rogers in '03 and Williams give him two big-play receivers.

7. CLEVELAND

Sean Taylor

S, Miami (Fla.)

Needs: OL, QB, WR, TE

The last time Butch Davis passed up on an elite Hurricane, Clinton Portis became a Pro Bowl runner for the Broncos. Davis won't pass on Taylor.

8. ATLANTA

DeAngelo Hall

CB, Virginia Tech

Needs: WR, CB, DE, S

Hall is a bigger, stronger, faster and younger version of Terence Newman. He also returns kicks. Let the comparisons to Deion Sanders begin.

9. JACKSONVILLE

Kenechi Udeze

DE, Southern Cal

Needs: Pass rusher, DT, WR, LB

The Jaguars brought in Pro Bowl end Hugh Douglas in free agency last season for a pass rush. He managed only 31/2 sacks. Udeze had 16 1/2 last season.

10. HOUSTON

Tommie Harris

DT, Oklahoma

Needs: CB, DL, LB, S

Injuries along the front triggered a collapse of the Texans' defense in '03. What better way to fortify their line than with the Lombardi Award winner?

11. PITTSBURGH

Philip Rivers

QB, N.C. State

Needs: OT, CB, OLB, QB

He started 51 games (a record for QBs), is college football's No. 2 all-time passer, and is as close to being a walk-in starter as the NCAA has produced.

12. NY JETS

Dunta Robinson

CB, South Carolina

Needs: CB, LB, OT, S

DeAngelo Hall compares to Terence Newman and Robinson to Marcus Trufant in the '03 draft. Robinson is more polished and steadier than Hall.

13. BUFFALO

Lee Evans

WR, Wisconsin

Needs: Speed, OL, DL

There is size galore at wideout but not much game-breaking speed. The Bills need speed to complement the size of Eric Moulds and hands of Josh Reed.

14. CHICAGO

Steven Jackson

HB, Oregon State

Needs: DT, WR, RB, OL

This is an offense sorely in need of offensive options. Jackson is a power back who can run the ball in the upper Midwest when the snow starts falling.

15. TAMPA BAY

Michael Clayton

WR, LSU

Needs: DL, WR, speed, S

Jon Gruden coached two seasons with an inherited offensive cast. Look for him to put his stamp on the offense in '04 with a big-play rookie receiver.

16. SAN FRANCISCO

Reggie Williams

WR, Washington

Needs: WR, CB, DT, G

Terrell Owens and Tai Streets are gone from last season. The 49ers need a walk-in starter - and Williams brings a resume with 238 college catches.

17. DENVER

D.J. Williams

LB, Miami (Fla.)

Needs: RB, LB, CB, DE

The pressing need is at running back, but linebackers aren't as easy to find. Williams has size (250 pounds) and speed (4.57 seconds in 40 yards).

18. NEW ORLEANS

Jonathan Vilma

LB, Miami (Fla.)

Needs: LB, DL, WR, FB

Carolina is the team to beat in the NFC South, and the Panthers like to run the ball. The Saints were 27th in the NFL in run defense. See the problem?

19. MINNESOTA

Will Smith

DE, Ohio State

Needs: LB, DE, CB, WR

The Vikings need help for the NFL's 23rd-ranked defense. There are two linebackers, two corners and a safety worthy of this pick. All are gone.

20. MIAMI

Shawn Andrews

OT, Arkansas

Needs: OT, WR, S, DL depth

John St. Clair washed out as a right tackle with the Rams and right now he's penciled in at right tackle for the Dolphins. Get out the eraser.

21. NEW ENGLAND

Vince Wilfork

DT, Miami (Fla.)

Needs: LB, CB, S, OL

Bill Belichick likes big players and lots of them. He took a DT in the first round in '03 (Ty Warren), and in Wilfork or UT's Marcus Tubbs finds value again.

22. COWBOYS

Kevin Jones

HB, Virginia Tech

Needs: RB, CB, OL, WR

Emmitt Smith slid to the 17th pick in the 1990 draft because of a perceived lack of speed. Now Jones slides to the 22nd slot for the same reason.

23. SEATTLE

Teddy Lehman

MLB, Oklahoma

Needs: DL, LB, DB, OL

Randall Godfrey (cap casualty) left a hole in the middle. Who better to fill it than the Butkus winner? He'll know the defense by the end of minicamp.

24. CINCINNATI

Jake Grove

C, Virginia Tech

Needs: CB, S, LB, OL

The Browns took a center in the first round in '03. The Bengals keep the trend in-state with the selection of Grove, the Rimington Award winner.

25. GREEN BAY

Ben Troupe

TE, Florida

Needs: DE, CB, S, OL

The Packers would consider QB J.P. Losman but believe they should have been in the Super Bowl. So they are still building for the present, not the future.

26. ST. LOUIS

Rashaun Woods

WR, Oklahoma State

Needs: DE, CB, WR, RB

The logical pick is Jason Babin. The Rams lost weakside pass rusher Grant Wistrom in free agency, but coach Mike Martz can't resist offensive playmakers.

27. TENNESSEE

Antwan Odom

DE, Alabama

Needs: DE, RB, CB, DT

The loss of Jevon Kearse and Robaire Smith in free agency left a huge hole in the defensive front, and Odom fits the Titans' prototype at 274 pounds.

28. PHILADELPHIA

Vernon Carey

OL, Miami (Fla.)

Needs: CB, RB, OL, DL

With Duce Staley gone, the Eagles need another member for their running-back-by-committee. The Eagles also could use bigger, better blockers.

29. INDIANAPOLIS

Jason Babin

DE, Western Michigan

Needs: MLB, DE, CB, S

The Colts use a small but active defensive front, but small guys tend to wear down. Tony Dungy needs quantity so he can rotate linemen and keep them fresh.

30. KANSAS CITY

Junior Siavii

DT, Oregon

Needs: WR, DT, K, LB

The Chiefs were 30th in run defense. Kansas City benefits from Clinton Portis leaving the division. Plugging in the 344-pound Siavii also would help.

31. CAROLINA

Chris Gamble

CB, Ohio State

Needs: CB, S, WR, TE

The Nos. 2 and 3 corners left in the off-season. Gamble is the coveted big corner in this draft, a potential walk-in starter for the NFC champions.

32. NEW ENGLAND

Ahmad Carroll

CB, Arkansas

Needs: LB, CB, S, OL

The Patriots have only five DBs - and cornerback Ty Law is disgruntled. The Super Bowl champions need options, and the speedy Carroll is a good one.

NOTE: Baltimore does not have a first-round pick. The Ravens' first pick is in the second round, 51st overall.

Keary Colbert

WR, Southern Cal

Needs: WR, CB, OL, KR

Rookie QB Kyle Boller was one of the reasons the Ravens ranked 32nd in the NFL in passing last season. A non-productive group of wide receivers was another. The Ravens need a wideout to complement Pro Bowl TE Todd Heap.

Printer Version

Smith22

Reaction score
The Rams adding another talented WR is a scary thought.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Agreed.... and if they get Bell in the 2nd like most got them .... They will be more dangerous.... :eek:

chicago JK

Reaction score
man oh man. If the Pats luck out and have Wilfork fall in their laps I will be sick. I love the KJ pick but Wilfork would be an ideal pick for me if he somehow slips. I don't see it though.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
chicago JK said:
man oh man. If the Pats luck out and have Wilfork fall in their laps I will be sick. I love the KJ pick but Wilfork would be an ideal pick for me if he somehow slips. I don't see it though.
I would love wilfork too and doubt he goes that far, but I would absolutely love the KJ pick.... (crossing fingers he's there when we pick) :eek:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Other than having his nose firmly implanted up the Manning Family's arse, there's not too much knee jerk in this mock, which is refreshing.

Gosselin is the only one I've seen with Lehman, Grove, Troupe, Odom, Babin, Colbert AND Siavii all going in the first.

Duane

Reaction score
Man I hope Goose is accurate this year. If we land KJ the rest of the draft will be gravy.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I could live with starting the day like that. Hope it happens.