Gosselin: Draft position preview: Cornerbacks

Wimbo

Reaction score
Draft position preview: Cornerbacks

[SIZE=-1]07:36 PM CDT on Wednesday, April 18, 2007[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]rgosselin@***BANNED-URL***[/SIZE]

Quick takes: A dozen corners could go on the first day, and all but three of them run a 4.39-second 40 or better. The second day of the draft features size but little speed.
Rk., Player School Ht. Wt.
1. x-Leon Hall Michigan 5-11 193 NOTEWORTHY: 4.39 speed in the 40
2. x-Darrelle Revis Pittsburgh 5-11 ½ 204 NOTEWORTHY: Skipping senior season
3. x-Aaron Ross Texas 6-0 ½ 193 NOTEWORTHY: Thorpe award winner
4. x-Chris Houston Arkansas 5-9 ½ 185 NOTEWORTHY: 4.32 speed in the 40
5. Eric Wright UNLV 5-10 ½ 192 NOTEWORTHY: Southern Cal transfer
6. Josh Wilson Maryland 5-9 189 NOTEWORTHY: Also returns kickoffs
7. Jonathan Wade Tennessee 5-10 195 NOTEWORTHY: 4.36 speed in the 40
8. Marcus McCauley Fresno St. 6-0 ½ 203 NOTEWORTHY: Forced 4 career fumbles
9. Kenny Scott Georgia Tech 6-0 ½ 179 NOTEWORTHY: 159 career tackles
10. Daymeion Hughes California 5-10 190 NOTEWORTHY: Lott Trophy winner
11. Usama Young Kent St. 5-11 196 NOTEWORTHY: 4-year starter
12. A.J. Davis N. Car. St. 5-10 193 NOTEWORTHY: Broke up 33 career passes
13. Michael Coe Alabama St. 6-0 ½ 190 NOTEWORTHY: Arkansas transfer
14. Fred Bennett S. Carolina 6-0 ½ 196 NOTEWORTHY: 3-year starter
15. Tarell Brown Texas 5-10 ½ 190 NOTEWORTHY: Broke up 23 career passes
x – Potential first-round picks

Spotlight on: Chris Houston, Arkansas
NFL scouts evaluating Arkansas cornerback Chris Houston received a bonus on tape during this draft process. They got to view the best pass receivers in the draft, as well.

Houston is the best man-to-man coverage player in this draft because he had to be. He lined up last fall against four players who could become first-round NFL draft picks: Dwayne Bowe, Dwayne Jarrett, Robert Meachem and Sidney Rice. He also played against Auburn's Courtney Taylor, who figures to be a mid-round pick, and Vanderbilt's Earl Bennett, who finished among the NCAA's top 10 receivers and projects as a high draft pick in 2009.
Houston took on the assignments by choice.
"I went to my coach and asked if I could have the other team's best wide receiver to take him out of the game," Houston said. "He gave me the go-ahead. So every game I studied film, broke my opponent down and then went out there and gave him a hard time."
Did he ever. Houston held Bennett, Bowe, Jarrett, Meachem and Taylor under their season averages. Only Rice got the better of Houston, catching seven passes for 126 yards and a touchdown.
Despite giving up several inches in height in every one of those matchups, the 5-9 ½ Houston held Bennett 64 yards below his weekly average, Jarrett 49 yards below, Meachem 34 below, Taylor 21 below and Bowe 8 below.

The best
Leon Hall, Michigan
Hall set Michigan records for passes defended in a season (18 in 2006) and a career (43). He erased the records of former teammate Marlin Jackson, a recent first-round draft pick of Indianapolis. The records "weren't a goal," Hall said. "I just wanted to realize my potential and reach it." Mission accomplished.

Sleeper
Corey Graham, New Hampshire
One of only two four-year starters on the cornerback draft board. Graham got his hands on 41 career passes (12 interceptions and 29 passes broken up). He also averaged 27.5 yards kickoffs with two TDs. But his senior season ended in October with a broken leg, so his draft stock has been deflated.

Best of Texas
1. Aaron Ross, Texas
The Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year has a reputation as a gambler. Ross wears that label proudly. "At corner, you have to take some risks at times," he said. "If you don't, you'll end up with no picks and no plays."
Draft projection: First round.
2. Chris Houston, Arkansas (and Austin)
Draft projection: Rounds 1-2.
3. Tarell Brown, Texas
Draft projection: Mid-rounds.

Notable
• Famous Fathers: Maryland's Josh Wilson is the son of Tim Wilson, Earl Campbell's blocking back with the Houston Oilers in the late 1970s. The father of Washington State's Tyron Brackenridge was drafted three times in baseball. Lyle Brackenridge was a second-round pick by San Francisco in January 1977, a third-rounder by the California Angels in June 1977 and a 13th-rounder by the Minnesota Twins in 1980. Michael Coe played his senior season for his father Charles Coe, the head coach at Alabama State.
• A family affair: Auburn's David Irons is the brother and college teammate of Kenny Irons, who projects as a first-day draft pick at running back. Pittsburgh's Darrelle Revis is the nephew of former Pro Bowl tackle Sean Gilbert, and Brandon McDonald of Memphis is a cousin of Steve McNair of the Tennessee Titans and Correll Buckhalter of the Philadelphia Eagles.
• Play ball: Clemson cornerback C.J. Gaddis already has been through the draft process – in baseball. He was a 20th-round pick of the Seattle Mariners in 2003.
• Early signs: Tarell Brown of Texas won the regional Punt, Pass & Kick competition at Texas Stadium as a 9-year-old. "It was a great experience, having the opportunity to play in front of the Cowboys," Ross said. "I was nervous. I felt I was going to explode." Ross advanced to the national championships in San Diego, where he finished third in his age group. "I felt like I let the hype get to me," he said.
• Speed to burn: Cincinnati's John Bowie won the Big East 100-meter dash last spring, and Tennessee's John Wade holds the Louisiana high school record in the 200. He won the 100 and 200 state titles in 2001 and also won the 200 at the World Youth Championships that year. On the field side of the track, North Carolina State's A.J. Davis holds the North Carolina high school record in the long jump.
• Sure hands: Daymeion Hughes disappointed NFL scouts with his 4.56 speed in the 40-yard dash. If you draft corners based on athletic measurables, Hughes might go in the second day. But if you draft players based on college productivity, Hughes would be a first-rounder. He finished third in the NCAA with eight interceptions, and his 15 career thefts top this draft board. He won Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2006 and also the Lott Trophy as the nation's best defensive back. The cornerbacks in double figures in career INTs on this draft board:

Cornerback School INT
Daymeion Hughes Cal 15
Marcus Hamilton Virginia 15
Leon Hall Michigan 12
Corey Graham N. Hamp. 12
Courtney Brown Cal Poly 10
Aaron Ross Texas 10
Ryan Smith Florida 10

• Paydirt: Hughes doesn't just intercept passes, he deposits them in the end zone. He returned four of his interceptions for touchdowns – a 72-yarder vs. Oregon State in 2003, a 41-yarder vs. Washington in '05 and a 47-yarder vs. Arizona State and a 30-yarder vs. Portland State, both in '06.
• Early outs: Five cornerbacks are leaving eligibility on the table to turn pro: C.J. Gaddis of Clemson, Chris Houston of Arkansas, Darrelle Revis of Pitt, Ryan Smith of Florida and Eric Wright of UNLV.
• High school hero: Darrelle Revis will be hard-pressed to have a better day on the football field than he did in the Pennsylvania state championship game as a high school senior. He scored five touchdowns on three rushes, an 89-yard punt return and a 69-yard blocked field goal return. His long TD run on the day was 64 yards. "I was just focused on trying to get a championship," Revis said. "It hit me after the game when the reporters told me I scored five touchdowns. It was almost a blur."
• On the move: Travarous Bain transferred down from Miami (Fla.) to Hampton, as did Michael Coe who left Arkansas for Alabama State. Bo Smith transferred from Kentucky to Weber State, Ryan Smith left Utah for Florida and Eric Wright left Southern Cal for UNLV. The Smiths earned all-conference acclaim, Bo in the Big Sky and Ryan the SEC. Coe earned All-SWAC and Bain All-Mideastern Athletic Conference.