News: Gosselin: NFC East not what it used to be, but here’s how it stacks up

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't take anyone lightly esp in the East. The East is either better than some think or less than others do. You decide.

I think the best one can say now with any chance of decent predictive power is a team capable of contending for the division title. I see the offense and defense improving esp the defense so I see Dallas contending.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
When you break the Giants down on offense they mirror us. Great weapons, no offensive line. I'd be willing to call it a push, but honestly I just don't think they're better on offense if both teams are healthy.

Both teams also look bad on defense, but the Giants are trotting a poor, very thin LB core, a bad group of CBs, questionable safeties, and Jason Pierre Paul is recovering from back surgery and may not even play week 1.

Although the Cowboys are switching schemes, it just seems like the Giants defense is in a bigger transition and overall weaker.

How exactly do the Cowboys look bad on defense?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

Maybe 'bad' is a poor choice of words. Questionable is probably better. Very, very good group of linebackers. Above average cornerback situation, but Safety is still a huge question mark and the defensive line hasn't exactly made strides-- I mean, I think they can be good pass rushers, but may get mauled up the middle, especially if Ratliff isn't healthy.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
best team doesn't always win ... especially when that team is relying on the likes of Tony Romo.
While the best team may not always win (see Patriots 2007), generally over a period of time (you said 2006) you’ll find that it will win more often than not.

How often have we won since 2006?

Is Romo not part of the team?

And as you’re disparaging Romo, if Dallas has to rely on him, it doesn’t speak much for the rest of the team now does it?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

They give up a bit too much in the run game, don't make enough turnovers, and have a subpar pass defense. Their rush is mediocre. They don't make enough critical stops and get off the field enough and the eyeball test says they give up too many game winning or sealing drives although that's related to all the above.

Califan007

Reaction score
Similar to the "experts" power rankings that get shoved down our throats on a weekly basis.

Has anyone ever compared their rankings from week 1 to week 17? Now that would be funny.

I'm not a believer in power rankings, but they are designed and meant to change from week to week.

SaltyNovice

CowboysRangers
Reaction score
Similar to the "experts" power rankings that get shoved down our throats on a weekly basis.

Has anyone ever compared their rankings from week 1 to week 17? Now that would be funny.

Now this is something I would like to see......and how about over a five year period.......then we can put these lists in perspective as to how important they really are.......

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Now this is something I would like to see......and how about over a five year period.......then we can put these lists in perspective as to how important they really are.......

You won't be surprised to find they aren't very good at it. PH and another put some stuff up about how several teams each year 'coming out of nowhere' to earn a playoff spot. It's a good read of how and why. What's easier to do is get the CC game participants out of 4 teams or so. Predicting the SB is very difficult. Being a favorite is good news to get to the playoffs and often the CC game but winning the SB not so much.