got a new car today

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
it's a '93 Saturn SL2, sweet, little car, my silver bullet, it's very low on miles, a little over 56k, and the only owner was an 83 year old lady, so you can imagine that it hasn't been through alot, and how clean it is

got it from a dealership, so it was inspected beforehand, only problem is that the engine kind of gets hot, you can only tell by opening up the hatch, any ideas as to what's up?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
a question from those good working w/ cars, or who have any kind of car knowledge

my Saturn is an automatic, but I noticed on the "shift", there's the #s 3 and 2 after the D(rive)

are those the proverbial 2nd and 3rd gear? I tested it out on the highway to see if they were, and I shifted to them w/o putting on the breaks, down to 2, skipping the 3, and going back up to 3 as I increased the speed, the car responded, but in a jerky kind of way, like changing gears with a stick, the rpm revving up (if this helps: I'm exchanging from driving a VW manual, to an automatic), do I have the 2nd and 3rd gear, on the automatic, and did I switch to them right, in the right way and right situation (on the highway)?

I hope I didn't confuse anyone and would really appreciate the help, thanks

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
car noob

I drive a saturn among other things, don't get a heavy foot with that little twincam engine, its got way more power than you would think.

Those are indeed options for 2nd and 3rd gear for moments when you want to gear break pretty much is the only reason to use them. Going down a steep hill you can shift into 2nd and slow yourself down without burning up your brakes.

Good find on the mileage though, my saturn has 160000 miles, they are great little cars if you don't hot rod them and keep up with the fluids.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2252702 said:
only problem is that the engine kind of gets hot, you can only tell by opening up the hatch, any ideas as to what's up?

Ummmmm, it's running!?!?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
as for the temps, as long as the temp gauge doesn't go above mid level you are fine. There is a fan on the radiator that burns out pretty commonly actually, easiest way to know is to start the car turn on the AC and then look at the fan, with the AC on it should always be running the fan if it is then you are fine and need to stop worrying.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
stealth;2253153 said:
car noob

I drive a saturn among other things, don't get a heavy foot with that little twincam engine, its got way more power than you would think.

Those are indeed options for 2nd and 3rd gear for moments when you want to gear break pretty much is the only reason to use them. Going down a steep hill you can shift into 2nd and slow yourself down without burning up your brakes.

Good find on the mileage though, my saturn has 160000 miles, they are great little cars if you don't hot rod them and keep up with the fluids.

so pretty much not using 2nd and 3rd gear won't heat my engine up if I'm doing 50+?

fluids as in coolant and oil?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
thanks stealth, you're awesome

I'm going to use the money I'm getting from my old car to buy me a sweet CD/DVD/MP3 theatre system for my new one!

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2253164 said:
so pretty much not using 2nd and 3rd gear won't heat my engine up if I'm doing 50+?

fluids as in coolant and oil?

of course it will heat up your engine, just leave it in drive unless you are going downhill and need to maintain a slower pace, that is the only reason to downshift with an automatic. Or well actually if you live in the mountains it can be useful, but you don't live in the mountains right summer?

Its just like your standard car was man, just the clutch is automatic and infinitely more complicated than your VW's was. Fluids as in oil changes and keep an eye on the automatic transmission fluid, which 9 times out of 10 is brake fluid. Check your tranny fluid(yellow handle under the hood) every six months or so, unless you get hard shifts(jerky shifts with regular driving).
Tranny fluid should have a red tint to it, if it is black you need to drain and refill.

radiator is important but unless you see coolant on the ground(green liquid, which means leak) you don't need to worry about it.

I have been driving saturns since the mid 90's just PM if you got any questions about it man, I been to hell and back with those cars.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I probably will, you're the man stealth

that's why I bought it: quality car, gets good gas mileage, barely any miles on it being 15 years old, just a nice, nice car