Got some good inside info today

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nothing Earth shattering, more just confirming what I already believed. I was speaking with a former NFL GM today, the guy was NFL executive of the year not all that long ago "in the last 7-8 years. Put together a helluva roster and coaching staff so the guy knows what he's talking about. I told him I believed the Cowboys were loaded this year and well stocked for a deep run that could end in a Super Bowl title. This is what he said...........He said I was absolutely right that the Cowboys are loaded. Said that they had more than enuff talent to get to and win a title THIS YEAR,..........BUT ,...the question with the Cowboys is the same as its been for awhile now. Do they have the coaching?! Basically he said Garrett is a solid coach but has a long track record at always making the critical error somewhere along the way that ends up holding his teams back from winning anything meaningful.

Dont shoot the messenger. Just wanted to pass along what I heard today from someone who knows what they are talking about.
so you are on a fan board, and engage in all kinds of gossip and dumb arguments over players...and you talked to a former GM of the year..... ooookkkk…. how many drinks did you have before you came up with that one. perhaps you should put the bottle down for a couple of hours...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Even with the current coaching staff, I think the Cowboys currently have what it takes to win a Super Bowl... with Dak's offense and Tank's defense leading the way. They just have to be blessed with good health throughout the season. Go Cowboys! :flagwave:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing Earth shattering, more just confirming what I already believed. I was speaking with a former NFL GM today, the guy was NFL executive of the year not all that long ago "in the last 7-8 years. Put together a helluva roster and coaching staff so the guy knows what he's talking about. I told him I believed the Cowboys were loaded this year and well stocked for a deep run that could end in a Super Bowl title. This is what he said...........He said I was absolutely right that the Cowboys are loaded. Said that they had more than enuff talent to get to and win a title THIS YEAR,..........BUT ,...the question with the Cowboys is the same as its been for awhile now. Do they have the coaching?! Basically he said Garrett is a solid coach but has a long track record at always making the critical error somewhere along the way that ends up holding his teams back from winning anything meaningful.

Dont shoot the messenger. Just wanted to pass along what I heard today from someone who knows what they are talking about.
What were is thoughts on Jim Harbaugh?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
GM isn't the problem. It was Linehan & his predictable offense & was our run defense getting shredded vs the Rams. The GM changed coordinator, & upgraded our rDT/DE's via free agency & draft.
I was responding to the OP. His source was an anonymous GM. You should read what I was responding to. Saves time for both of us.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I think the problem is that JG has some really good qualities that you want in a coach that's kind of unteachable and some serious issues that are teachable, but he's not getting it.

Hence why he's the "walk-around coach" now.

Jerry seems to be trying to find a way to maximize JG's good while doings things to make his "bad" better, or less on-the-field stuff.
Linehan wasn't quite the answer, and the DC crew... that's for another thread, BUT!!!
But...
Where was I going? Oh yes!

JG is a puzzle game that doesn't necessarily need to be solved, just replaced, but Jerry, or Steven, or McClay want the qualities he gives that they like to stay.
I think they're getting it now, hence the not extending his contract.

I'm still wary of who they might choose to replace him with though.

In the end, I think the primary issue is not making the playoffs on a consistent enough basis. It’s hard to win it all if you don’t give yourself chances.

But, yeah, there is something to the theory that Garrett has been caught off guard in playoff games and been unable to adjust.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I mean, I am a JG hater along with the most of you, but Marinelli has been the most cancerous postseason coach in the Cowboys' storied history.

Why he remains employed on this staff in a top tier position is beyond me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's been a while, nice to see you around these parts again.

giphy.gif

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't trust our defensive staff ....period....Seahawks fired Richard for a reason....Marinelli went 0-16 w/ the Lions for a reason. :popcorn:

There is no disputing these facts....but go ahead...give it your best shot. :rolleyes:

Getting worked over by the Rams should have been Jerry's first clue...:banghead:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I just might go on a Bugs-Binge now tonight.
I'm sure my wife will thank you...

Wait! I'll start with the one where Bugs is sleeping and wakes up in the Mad Scientist's castle!
She loves that one!

The one with the monster that needs a permanermanermament!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

LOL...………………….IDGIT will NEVER believe it. LOL

Every fan, but IDGIT, and everyone around the NFL knows how much Garrett is a liability as a coach. Seriously...…………..if we had Tom Brady and the Seahawks D of old people would say the same thing.

It really is completely pathetic how bad the clapping clown is.

And now he is going OUT OF HIS WAY to neuter the ONE guy that could actually get this offense over the hump.

How sad is it when the HC is afraid of the success of a young OC coaching under him? And its soooo obvious he is threatened by him. When the heck will Jerry wake up?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
LOL...………………….IDGIT will NEVER believe it. LOL

Every fan, but IDGIT, and everyone around the NFL knows how much Garrett is a liability as a coach. Seriously...…………..if we had Tom Brady and the Seahawks D of old people would say the same thing.

It really is completely pathetic how bad the clapping clown is.

And now he is going OUT OF HIS WAY to neuter the ONE guy that could actually get this offense over the hump.

How sad is it when the HC is afraid of the success of a young OC coaching under him? And its soooo obvious he is threatened by him. When the heck will Jerry wake up?
this guy has repressed rage.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I hear ya. When I told him I wasnt really a Garrett guy he just kinda laughed like...." Yeah ,..who is" LOL

bubububububububuttttttttttt..………………..Garrett would have 12 teams lining up to hire him if he was fired. LOL

What is Garrett worse at?

A. OC
B. HC

Would anyone even hire the clapping clown as an OC? OMG no way!!!!

Would they hire him as a HC? Get the hell outa here!!!!!