Gotta give Wade some credit...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Over the last couple of games, we've been playing that whole TE/FB pass in the flat on the goalline very well. Prior to that, and since last year, we had gotten burned on that play multiple times and teams had been predictably running it on us every chance they got.

I'm probably 95% sure if the Steelers get in position, they'll try it again, hopefully we continue to have success against it.

I don't think it's a coincidence that as soon as Wade takes over the defensive playcalling (or whatever they want to call Stewarts new role) we suddenly start defending that particular play better.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I noticed this as well. Good evaluation by you.

The thing I like most about what Wade has done is expand Bradie James role and let him do some things on the outside again.

Bradie was an outstanding OLB when we was at LSU. MLB not so much.

Now he leads the team in tackles and leads all NFL MLB's in sacks and has been on fuego the last 3 weeks.

JBS

Reaction score
the fact of the matter is - is that four weeks ago this team was 5-4 and everyone and their mothers were calling for wades heads. Wade then takes over the defense and begins to get the defense to start playing at the level that we have been expecting for over a year and a half now and he is not receiving the accolades that he should be. Where are the Wade Phillips APPRECIATION THREADS!!!!!! I for one am starting to REALLY believe in wade!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well, Bradie is still confused about it. We are still weak against that and we have been very vunerable to stacked WRs. I hope all these guys are on the same page with that and those seam plays with motioning away from the middle.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
glorydaysrback;2459682 said:
the fact of the matter is - is that four weeks ago this team was 5-4 and everyone and their mothers were calling for wades heads. Wade then takes over the defense and begins to get the defense to start playing at the level that we have been expecting for over a year and a half now and he is not receiving the accolades that he should be. Where are the Wade Phillips APPRECIATION THREADS!!!!!! I for one am starting to REALLY believe in wade!

5-4 for a team that was supposed to go to the Super Bowl?
That was not acceptable then and neither is it now.

Ah tell you whut, save the appreciation thread until after the season.
then we shall go over how he saved the season in December. Or didn't.

CoCo

Reaction score

The flip side of that is what about the first half of the season? And on top of that reports are mixed but one version has it that Jerry insisted to Wade that he take over playcalling.

I would kind of like a head coach who didn't need to be told the obvious.

I'm not trying to slam Wade because honestly I'd like to know the real story of who was doing what before and after and what is the true cause of the apparent defensive turnaround.

We're all speculating, and its been a pretty short stretch of improvement to boot. I'm going to wait until this season plays out before I take a strong position on Wade one way or the other.

Lets just say that I'm pleaseed with how we seem to be progressing the last 3 weeks.

JBS

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2459705 said:
5-4 for a team that was supposed to go to the Super Bowl?
That was not acceptable then and neither is it now.

Ah tell you whut, save the appreciation thread until after the season.
then we shall go over how he saved the season in December. Or didn't.

if you think i am sitting here telling you that 5-4 was acceptable then you have another thing coming. What I AM telling you is, if you are going to give the guy the majority of the blame - give the man his props when its due. As of right now, the defense has been playing great and that is a DIRECT credit to wade phillips.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm not certain the defense cost us that much. Maybe. I could make a case but the bigger problem was the breakdown of the OL.

Now what the heck is that story.

That and the implosion of one Brad Johnson who pulled a Jekyl and Hyde.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

Puhleazzeeeeee:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Look... I'm just as excited as the next person that we're on a roll... However, the fact that we beat Washington, San Fran , And Seattle isn't really much to crow about. Beat Pittsburgh up North and the NY Football Giants at home. Then, and only then, might I give any credence to your otherwise preposterous post.

This was supposed to be a Super Bowl bound team. Paper champs don't get Lombardis.

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
TheCount;2459619 said:
Over the last couple of games, we've been playing that whole TE/FB pass in the flat on the goalline very well. Prior to that, and since last year, we had gotten burned on that play multiple times and teams had been predictably running it on us every chance they got.

I'm probably 95% sure if the Steelers get in position, they'll try it again, hopefully we continue to have success against it.

I don't think it's a coincidence that as soon as Wade takes over the defensive playcalling (or whatever they want to call Stewarts new role) we suddenly start defending that particular play better.

Your sig is awesome!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
glorydaysrback;2459709 said:
if you think i am sitting here telling you that 5-4 was acceptable then you have another thing coming. What I AM telling you is, if you are going to give the guy the majority of the blame - give the man his props when its due. As of right now, the defense has been playing great and that is a DIRECT credit to wade phillips.

What I am telling you is that we are all sweating it out as to whether a 10-4 team can make it into the playoffs. With this team, that should not be a question. (Hos, that stepper on dreams, assures me we cannot.)

Also, I am telling you (politely) to save the hosannas and accolades until the season's end or at least until we get into the playoffs.

With the team jerra has assembled, we should be thinking about who'd be our opponent in our home-field advantage NFC championship game instead of will we EVEN get into the playoffs.
But, go on and start a Wade appreciation thread. It couldn't hurt right now. But, again, neither will it help.

sbark

Reaction score
Did Wade keep the new schemes on D we now see (46, more press etc) as they worked them in.......or were they ready to use and Stewart didnt or did not get to use them

D last 3 weeks much more agressive....sure Romo back, but didnt see the Agression the 1st 4 weeks+ when Romo was playing.....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2459711 said:
I'm not certain the defense cost us that much. Maybe. I could make a case but the bigger problem was the breakdown of the OL.

Now what the heck is that story.

That and the implosion of one Brad Johnson who pulled a Jekyl and Hyde.

BJ was just Mr. Jekyl

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to withhold giving Wade any credit until I see what we do in January. Ultimately that is what he was hired to do - win in the postseason.

What he did in Sept or Nov doesn't mean squat when you are the Dallas Cowboys.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
How can your really blame Wade when it was injuries that hurt us bad this year? I don't believe "injuries happen, you got to play through it and find a way" line I get fed around here.

Injuries make a good team average. Why do we pay our talent so much money if we can afford to have them injured while their back up will just fill the role without any drop-off?

This team played bad because they had bad players or rookies filling in key positions.