GPS Systems

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Anyone have/try any of these portable GPS's before, like the Magellan Roadmate 700? I'm just curious what the reactions have been on how helpful and reliable they are.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I have tried a couple but they came with the rental car so I don't know what type they were. They are helpful but I wasn't blown away by them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dale said:
Anyone have/try any of these portable GPS's before, like the Magellan Roadmate 700? I'm just curious what the reactions have been on how helpful and reliable they are.
They are a novelty type thing at this stage really.
I tried using one in NYC and it was basically useless. ROFL. A little less useful than say mapquest.

My guess is it would be helpful in an area you sorta knew. If you know streets a, b, d for instance and just needed street C's name. Or if you wanted to know what cross street was closest 5717 C street. I found it really hard to follow and drive so would try and glean info at stop lights but it really was incomprehensible as far as which exits to take or where streets split. Brooklyn into Manhattan was just a big jumble and I ended up on the friggin Williamsburg bridge. 30 extra mins because of one extra exit on the freeway.

As they mature into full computer type systems they will get better and better. Some of the high end ones may already be fairly great.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Give me an up to date map and I will take you anywhere. :cool:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adbutcher has one and he LOVES it... He can get around Houston from point A to B without needing any help. Not sure what brand he uses. He'll have to tell u that, but I know he likes it.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
In reading various hiker/backpacker magazines, I have found that, for them, they have become almost essential (unless you are really really good with a compass topo map). I have not yet used one myself, though.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
In reading various hiker/backpacker magazines, I have found that, for them, they have become almost essential (unless you are really really good with a compass topo map). I have not yet used one myself, though.
That sounds like a great idea for hikers/backpackers.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Brain,

I have the TomTom 300. This thing is awesome! There is nothing like being free of your friends bad directions (except for WG :D). I bought the wife one for mother's day and I bought myself one soon after. My wife and I both love them. It is intuitive and very user friendly. I only encountered one instance where it didn’t have a specific address and even then it put me on the correct block, 1 house down from where I wanted to go.

Cnet, did a great job with their review check it out.
http://reviews.cnet.com/TomTom_GO/4505-3490_7-30960607-2.html?tag=top

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Dale said:

I used several GPS but you could not get those type any more they where these big green boxes that give you 10 digit grid square coordinates

Oh and I used it before all you whiny snively civilians could :tongue: (note this is tounge planted firmly in cheek)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kangaroo said:
I used several GPS but you could not get those type any more they where these big green boxes that give you 10 digit grid square coordinates

Oh and I used it before all you whiny snively civilians could :tongue: (note this is tounge planted firmly in cheek)
which one?? :D

ok I'm sorry Kangaroo. Couldn't help myself...:grin2: