Grading the Cowboys’ 11 in-house free agency moves so far

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would be higher on Dalton if they would change how they use TE in general. He can and should be called to o down the seem more often they have allowed last year. With less talent available overall at WR Dalton will need to be more than a safe dump off throw to keep this offense on track.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I get a sense that the posters here are hoping that the roster will be as good as it was last season. That sure seems to be Cowboy management's goal also. Well, for me that is not enough because last year's team was not good enough. Roster upgrades and improvements should be the objective; not steps sideways or slight steps backward. Major possible FA moves are mostly gone now. Upgrading through trades still remains. Otherwise this week's draft had best be a major "home run" to improve over last year's bunch.
This years team is far and away inferior to last year's bunch
that did a major crapping of the bed in the playoff game...
I don't have much expectation for this upcoming season
especially with picking 24th in the draft..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
As someone who makes a lot of fun of the Landry Hat (--they seem to just randomly add writers with zero experience) I'd say this is a solid article topic.
Kudos to Lauren for writing something of meaning.

Now as to the grades, ehh.
Dallas probably deserves solid grades for these re-signings with some F's for the guys they lost for nothing.
Instead this author seems to cry in every player review.
Dorance Armstrong had a solid impact with 5 sacks. Grading him out harshly because you are in your feelings over Gregory is wrong and absurd. Especially if you are blasting Dorance for the same or better stats than Gregory ever compiled.
Dorance was a sneaky good signing even if fumbling Gregory was awful. --and I am not certain it was realistically. emotionally definitely, but football-wise? ehhh.

anyways grades on these signings alone

Dalton Schultz, 1 year 10.9M -- B+. I'll ride with TLH grade here. Schultz was overexposed in some senses but managed well enough as a receiver with more reps leading to lots of targets and production. I note I make a lot as we discuss Amari's trade is Dalton had the same amount of TDs and more catches in the same amount of targets. And his receiving yardage isn't that much worse. Dalton was a legit TE1 target that struggled to block well enough. But his market rate was above the tag oddly enough. So this one year try before you buy makes sense. He's motivated to lock in that 12-13M per year and Dallas can try to find a cheaper replacement or se if another year of growth makes Dalton elite.

Jayron Kearse: 2 years 10M. A+ Kearse was a top 3 Dallas defender last year. He was big enough to handle the run game and TEs and fast enough to cover. Was shocked his market wasn't much higher. His skillset matches where the league is going. Kearse is essentially your Will in old school parlance but plays a strong safety role.

Malik Hooker: 2 years 8, B- signing. Hooker gives you another rangy safety option and is a solid depth player. He isn;t a special teams stud and settles in best as a backup. But Dallas has employed FAR worse safeties as starters in the recent past. Good depth move

Noah Brown: C-. Brown only got 1M which means he is going to fight for a roster spot. He brings little int he way of a receiving threat but offers a good blocking WR option who can play inside and block like an hback. Unlikely to see over 15% of offensive snaps in best case scenario for him and possibly a camp cut.

Bryan Anger: 3 years 9M. A++ Dallas had dealt with a declining very poor performing punter for years. Anger made the punt game a weapon. His resigning was very unexpected for a cheap front office but is very clutch indeed.

Jake McQuaide: C. Long snapper that does his job well. Does anyone really care?

Dorance: 2 years 13M. A-. This is a VERY good signing. Armstrong is only 24 years old and had 5 starts last with 5 sacks and 12 QB hits. Gregory had 12 starts with a career-high tying 6 sacks and 19 QB hits. What's more Armstrong wasn't a donut versus the run the way Gregory was. Armstrong had 37 total tackles, Gregory had 19. Cowboys fans are lot more emotionally invested in Randy and he has a VERY sympathetic story imo, but actual production versus age versus price... it's not close. Dorance was the better buy and deserves the higher grade.

LVE: 1 year at 2M. B+. I was pretty sure LVE was gone for a fresh start. His staying at this price is frankly a sign of how poorly the Cowboys LB's not named Micah played and of his desire to make it work in Dallas. LVE was a better LB last year than Keanu Neal. --Neal is now off to play safety again. Getting a starter back at this price point is like stealing. Now we just have to see how many games LVE can stay healthy and play.

Carlos Watkins. 1 year 1.1M. C. Average depth DT at vet min is always good business but he isn't the guy to do more than be a rotational depth piece.

Luke Gifford: No Grade. I'll be pretty surprised if Gifford makes the team out of camp. He is a decent ST guy but offers very little else. Likely replace in draft.

Jeremy Sprinkle. No Grade. Likely a 3rd TE option and blocker who will need to fend off rookies and other camp competition. Showed very little last year but is a proven NFL vet.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I can read trust me but have not seen anything that is an upgrade from last year. We can agree to disagree so not going to go around on this.
Kearse was and A. Shultz was a B+.

both those guys higher grades than punter.

upgrade? Lol

we haven’t even had the draft yet or finished FA.

Returning the exact same team would have been a miracle.