GRAPH: Run Defense and Pass Rush Grades: 2023 NFL Defensive Tackles

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Perhaps this is why their contract values have gone through the roof the last 2-3 years. Hell, 5-8 years ago they were barely worth a bag of chips. Today they have the 3rd highest franchised positional value only behind QBs and LBers. This explains why we burned a 1st on the position for the first time in 25+. But leave it to the FO.....right idea but the wrong player (LOL).

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders

Creeper

Reaction score
I have to admit I am a little surprised Osa Odighizuwa is in the top right quadrant. I expected to see him in the top left considering how bad the run defense is.

I am also shocked by where Jonathan Allen is, top left and one of the worst run defenders in the league.

And can we call Javon Kinlaw a major bust yet?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A cross-reference of the grades graph with the pre-March 13 free agency, top defensive linemen rankings by Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com Around the NFL (article link) among his 101 top overall 101 free agents. Players, crossed out in red, were re-signed prior to the start of free agency:

hUOhrBE.jpg

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
My fear is OSA is gone after this year as the Cowboys can't afford him.

I've been saying all year the biggest issue for the Cowboys in the run game was the DEs last season. Not to say the LBs and DTs (especially the 1T) couldn't be better, but those egde players aside from DLaw were liabilities against the run. No one kept contain, they were blocked out of the play 1v1 or walled off at ease. Half the time they were just running straight upfield and took themselves out of the plays in the run game. What I'm not sure about is if that was more of a DQ issue or not. That's the area I'm truly hopeful that Zimmer can be impactful in.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I've been saying all year the biggest issue for the Cowboys in the run game was the DEs last season. Not to say the LBs and DTs (especially the 1T) couldn't be better, but those egde players aside from DLaw were liabilities against the run. No one kept contain, they were blocked out of the play 1v1 or walled off at ease. Half the time they were just running straight upfield and took themselves out of the plays in the run game. What I'm not sure about is if that was more of a DQ issue or not. That's the area I'm truly hopeful that Zimmer can be impactful in.
The cap mismanagement is becoming apparent. What’s the plan in Dallas ?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Perhaps this is why their contract values have gone through the roof the last 2-3 years. Hell, 5-8 years ago they were barely worth a bag of chips. Today they have the 3rd highest franchised positional value only behind QBs and LBers. This explains why we burned a 1st on the position for the first time in 25+. But leave it to the FO.....right idea but the wrong player (LOL).

Yeah the big issue with DTs is most of them can only get limited snaps as they are either run players or pass rushers, but not both. Those guys in the upper right part of the chart carry so much value in todays game. Guys who can play more than half the snaps in a game and get pressure up the middle cause so many problems for offenses. I remember Dwares last season in Dallas. That guy may have had 30 sacks that season if we had any sort of push up the middle. QBs were routinely stepping up in the pocket with ease to escape the edge pressure. That's something that I think gets lost often...sacks are in large part a team stat, not always an individual one.

kskboys

Reaction score

I know, right? I could find nothing in Mazi's scouting report that indicated 1st round talent.

kskboys

Reaction score

In the GB game, several times they didn't even bother to block Micah, just chipped him to the outside and ran right past him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
In the GB game, several times they didn't even bother to block Micah, just chipped him to the outside and ran right past him.
Agreed. The Buffalo game was pretty bad for Micah too. Teams can run right at Micah at times. I'm really hoping Zimmer gets him meaningful snaps at LB this year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
A cross-reference of the grades graph with the pre-March 13 free agency, top defensive linemen rankings by Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com Around the NFL (article link) among his 101 top overall 101 free agents. Players, crossed out in red, were re-signed prior to the start of free agency:

hUOhrBE.jpg
Why is Calais Campbell not on this graph? He played very well for an old DT for the Falcons last year: 6.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble/recover, 32 solo tackles and 56 total tackles.

I wish Jerry would go after him since he's currently a free agent.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Why is Calais Campbell not on this graph? He played very well for an old DT for the Falcons last year: 6.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble/recover, 32 solo tackles and 56 total tackles.

I wish Jerry would go after him since he's currently a free agent.
I think he received more snaps at end than he did inside...or at least PFF has him listed as an DE. Agree that he would be a perfect addition though. Could be a rotation piece at multiple positions to get you 500-600 snaps on this line.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Osa might do well as a 3 if he had a beast 1-tech. At this point I'd rather he was a rotational DT in passing situation, if we had better DT talent. Speaks to how crappy we are at the position that he is clearly the best DT. I know the awesome chart days he's warren Saap but reality doesn't agree.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Osa might do well as a 3 if he had a beast 1-tech. At this point I'd rather he was a rotational DT in passing situation, if we had better DT talent. Speaks to how crappy we are at the position that he is clearly the best DT. I know the awesome chart days he's warren Saap but reality doesn't agree.
What if Mazi can’t play? I think DT is super thin.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yes.......even officially (lol).
He was my No.1 target during the draft.......classic example it takes more than a perfect body to be an NFL player.
he was always more of an athlete than a player
he got away with it in college most of the time; but the signs were there
It is discipline and football intelligence and instincts that makes a great NFL player
The HOF is loaded with great players who were only just above average athletes

gtb1943

Reaction score
stats lie quite often; not always but often. And that is what a graph is.